4 STARS | Syracusefan.com

4 STARS

garydelano

Walk On
IT LOOKS LIKE 4 STAR PLAYERS DON'T DO WELL ON COACH MARRONES TEAMS. THE LAST TWO HAVE BEEN TROWN OFF OR SUSPENDED. SO I GUESS I WON'T WORRY ABOUT US RECRUITING 4 STARS ANYMORE

On stars topic ... I wouldn't expect scout to do us any favors

IT LOOKS LIKE 4 STAR PLAYERS DON'T DO WELL ON COACH MARRONES TEAMS. THE LAST TWO HAVE BEEN TROWN OFF OR SUSPENDED. SO I GUESS I WON'T WORRY ABOUT US RECRUITING 4 STARS ANYMORE

Spruill was a 4 star in 2010, he's turned out pretty well. DC and Hogue were both 4 stars and cornerstones of the team last year. Marinovich was a 4 star as well.

But yeah, Baskin, Tucker, Collier, Sales...disappointing. I think the results have been mixed. Rosner was a 4 star too but never made much of an impact.

This may be dumbing it down a bit (ok almost definately is). But there is something legitimate to be said there. While there are exceptions (guys who were brought up on accountability and hard work) I would imagine many of the higher star ratings give those players inflated egos, that one must assume would clash mightily with a program built on accountability and hard work, like HCDM has built here...especially if said 4/5 star recruit was recruited by a coach in a system decidedly built on a lack of accountability and calmness/niceness. A player hit with that size reality check might really fight back against a system like this. Didn't posts say that sales resented training with/helping younger players? (apologies if I'm mistaken on that one) and again, i'm talking an inkling of truth...obviously it shouldn't be taken as an argument not to go after 4/5 star recruits.

I'm not saying I don't want to be involved with 4 or 5-star guys if they fit the system, but I think there is a lot to be said for the stance that a lot of the higher-rated guys often have merely reached their potential sooner and come in having been coddled. Again, not saying I am not rooting for for us to get a highly regarded kid that we may be involved with, as I more than trust the staff's judgement... but after seeing the ridiculous state of college athletics at the power programs over the last few years, and the bust rate of our own previous 4-stars, I am more than happy grabbing 2 and 3 star guys with ceilings. Stars don't matter once they get to campus, and there is a much lesser chance that they are going to bring the type of baggage that could drown a rebuilding program like ours.

We will see how 2-3 star guys measure up to 4-5 star guys on September 17th. Maybe if Marrone reminds the 2-3 stars guys that that's what "the experts" thought of them they might surprize the 4-5 star guys.:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom