4 Years/10 Mil for a Coordinator... | Syracusefan.com

4 Years/10 Mil for a Coordinator...

Ridiculous!
We can’t spend a fraction of that for a DC.
Need a coaching staff spending cap for these Billionaire Universities.

Agree, its part of the cess pool sport we all adore. Big donors can throw $$$ at coaches. I believe this salary is more than like 80 D1 head coaches.

Texas A & M just inked Mike Elko (current DC of ND) to a three year deal as their DC reportedly for $1.8 mil per annum. The SEC is like a freakin' arms race.

Texas A & M just inked Mike Elko (current DC of ND) to a three year deal as their DC reportedly for $1.8 mil per annum. The SEC is like a freakin' arms race.
1.8M/85 scholarship players = $21,176 per player.

I have a feeling some of those 85 families could really benefit from that kind of scratch.

Former SU LB coach Clark Lea followed Elko to South Bend from Wake Forest. There is a lot of talk now on ND boards regarding whether Clark will follow Elko to Collego Station or stay at ND and possibly become their DC.

Former SU LB coach Clark Lea followed Elko to South Bend from Wake Forest. There is a lot of talk now on ND boards regarding whether Clark will follow Elko to Collego Station or stay at ND and possibly become their DC.

Interesting. I'd say one way or another he is in for a pay raise.

Panic move by LSU with Orgeron already running off their offensive savior, Matt Canada, after only one season. It would be a full implosion if he lost his defensive coordinator at the same time. LSU brass know they made a questionable hire with Coach O, so they’re throwing a bunch of money at Aranda to keep him and have their fingers crossed.

DC and OC are becoming almost as important as your HC. Clemson kind of started this when they hired Dabo, they threw out a ton of money to get a DC and OC that could have been the HC at other schools.

1.8M/85 scholarship players = $21,176 per player.

I have a feeling some of those 85 families could really benefit from that kind of scratch.
OiO I respect your opinion, but I believe people really miss the big picture on this. We need a league where kids can go to get paid, and we need to back colleges away from this level of professionalism.

OiO I respect your opinion, but I believe people really miss the big picture on this. We need a league where kids can go to get paid, and we need to back colleges away from this level of professionalism.
I feel that's impossible.

I also think schools directly paying student-athletes would destroy higher education in the US.

That would be a bad trade.

The alternative would be to stop prohibiting the student-athlete from profiting from their own identity.

And then people say "but the boosters!" And I say, so what, that would still be better.

If a school's boosters can make a choice to spend $2.5M on a DC, I'd imagine they could find a way to spend $1M on a DC and split $1.5M up on endorsements for the 40ish scholarship players on defense and end up being even better on defense.

Agreed. Unfortunately, the NFL won’t spend the $ to set up a D-League. The current system works fine for them.

Even if they did, would anybody watch? It would likely have to be run in the summer. Maybe two regional divisions of 4 teams? There could be a separate draft after each season (3 rounds?) for everyone that’s of age (the NFL would maintain the same requirement imposed on current college players). Undrafted players could try free agency. Those players that didn’t make a team, including those that went the college route, could try to get a contract in the D League for the following season... or would there be an age cap to prevent 18 year olds from playing against 25 year olds? Common sense says yes.

Football and to some degree basketball are the only sports to face this issue. Not everyone is a right fit for the college classroom. Those that are, can leverage their athletic talents to obtain a good/great education that gives them opportunities in the marketplace. The 2% of college athletes that make it to the pros can have it both ways.

An NFL D League doesn’t necessarily “fix the problem”. For kids that don’t fit the college model they can try the D League. For those that don’t make the NFL (the vast majority), they will have been paid a small amount for 3 summers ($50k per summer?) and then have nothing.

If a kid has any school acumen, the current model is likely best for him.

Seems strange that a school with defensive minded head coach would have the highest paid DC. Should be the other way around.

Texas is about to make Todd Orlando a top 5 paid DC.

Funny watching how quickly everyone tries to keep up.

Agreed. Unfortunately, the NFL won’t spend the $ to set up a D-League. The current system works fine for them.

Even if they did, would anybody watch? It would likely have to be run in the summer. Maybe two regional divisions of 4 teams? There could be a separate draft after each season (3 rounds?) for everyone that’s of age (the NFL would maintain the same requirement imposed on current college players). Undrafted players could try free agency. Those players that didn’t make a team, including those that went the college route, could try to get a contract in the D League for the following season... or would there be an age cap to prevent 18 year olds from playing against 25 year olds? Common sense says yes.

Football and to some degree basketball are the only sports to face this issue. Not everyone is a right fit for the college classroom. Those that are, can leverage their athletic talents to obtain a good/great education that gives them opportunities in the marketplace. The 2% of college athletes that make it to the pros can have it both ways.

An NFL D League doesn’t necessarily “fix the problem”. For kids that don’t fit the college model they can try the D League. For those that don’t make the NFL (the vast majority), they will have been paid a small amount for 3 summers ($50k per summer?) and then have nothing.

If a kid has any school acumen, the current model is likely best for him.

What percentage of kids who sign NLI’s with FBS schools do you think expect to play professionally? As you said, the real number is minuscule. But I’ll bet 95 % think they will. We are lying to them. The system as it is diminishes the value of an education, and perpetuates the myth that sport is the goal, rather than the means to a quality life. I won’t go into all the related social ramifications of this. I’m sure I cannot convince you. (And a sports board is an unwelcoming place to tilt against the windmills of major college sports and fandom.) It’s a topic more suited to face-to-face debate or scholarly examination. Suffice to say I believe the system needs to be turned inside out, and mindsets at all levels need to be adjusted. It’s something I believe in completely. So I tend to overreact a little when I read posts about paying players, or adding games, or offering NFL101 degrees in colleges. These are bandaid solutions. As others have expressed here, I too am close to being done with college sports. It’s a long way down a bad road. I hope it’s not too late.

I feel that's impossible.

I also think schools directly paying student-athletes would destroy higher education in the US.

That would be a bad trade.

The alternative would be to stop prohibiting the student-athlete from profiting from their own identity.

And then people say "but the boosters!" And I say, so what, that would still be better.

If a school's boosters can make a choice to spend $2.5M on a DC, I'd imagine they could find a way to spend $1M on a DC and split $1.5M up on endorsements for the 40ish scholarship players on defense and end up being even better on defense.

Dramatic. Schools pay student body presidents a few thousand during the academic year. Has that destroyed higher education?

Dramatic. Schools pay student body presidents a few thousand during the academic year. Has that destroyed higher education?
There's kind of a key in what you said that matters as to why it hasn't destroyed higher education.

Man I'm in the wrong business. Alabama's coaches all just got ungodly bonuses for doing something they do every other year

What does it teach players to have a system where everybody makes big money but them?

If the system is making big money, more than likely the players are too.

Brian Daboll has been a disaster everywhere is has been an OC. But he's a Bellichecks buddy so Saban set him up with a cushy job with the best players by far and now he's "one of the best guys" uh huh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom