40 mins for CJ and Grant | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

40 mins for CJ and Grant

OttoMets said:
Of course my response was flip, but that's not the best-case scenario. Roberson had a very bad two or three-game stretch a few weeks ago, but he's been solid on defense and is a presence on the glass. I don't think 40 minutes of Grant or 40 minutes of Fair is any more effective than 35 minutes of those guys; Grant runs out of steam and Fair was spectating on a number of Pitt's offensive rebounds today (and never has been mistaken for a great defender). We're not getting enough out of our frontcourt right now. We need a boost.

Then why isn't he playing? If he's going to help us win over the other guys then JB would have him in there. Right now I don't think he is there. I don't think JB does either.

I believe this is the only time we have a week off for the rest of the season. Most of our stretches for the rest of conference play are gonna be games every 2 or 3 days. I think JB is gonna sub Gbinije in for Grant and Fair for a few extra breathers.

Then why isn't he playing? If he's going to help us win over the other guys then JB would have him in there. Right now I don't think he is there. I don't think JB does either.

Paraphrasing Boeheim, if I've got Billy Owens on my team, I'm not going to sit him in order to get a reserve some minutes.

Boeheim always wants his star wing to max out his court time. Not worth arguing over.

Paraphrasing Boeheim, if I've got Billy Owens on my team, I'm not going to sit him in order to get a reserve some minutes.

Boeheim always wants his star wing to max out his court time. Not worth arguing over.

He doesn't have Billy Owens on his team....

He doesn't have Billy Owens on his team...

That's what I think, too. C.J.'s a good basketball player. He's not Billy Owens. He's not so good that he ought to take 40 of 40 minutes at his position when Roberson's on the team (unless, of course, C.J.'s having some kind of incredible career night).

I think he'd be more effective in 33 minutes. I think Roberson could come in and be an immediate upgrade on defense and on the boards while being good enough (not our go-to option, but someone who can make a post move, hit a mid-range jumper, limit his turnovers, find the open man, and consistent hit free throws) on offense to give C.J. a rest.

Boeheim's not comfortable with that. Oh well.

SIX !!!

;)
I'm guessing they meant 4 games because the first four are back to back game weekends the first two weeks, right? That'd be rough to play 80 minutes one weekend then 80 minutes the next weekend.

I'm guessing they meant 4 games because the first four are back to back game weekends the first two weeks, right? That'd be rough to play 80 minutes one weekend then 80 minutes the next weekend.

4 = LAST two weekends.
I would hope we wouldn't need 40 mins for Grant and Fair in Game 1

I think he'd be more effective in 33 minutes. I think Roberson could come in and be an immediate upgrade on defense and on the boards while being good enough (not our go-to option, but someone who can make a post move, hit a mid-range jumper, limit his turnovers, find the open man, and consistent hit free throws) on offense to give C.J. a rest.

For me, 33 minutes is probably too few for CJ. Though 40 might be too much. (And for the talk of missing free throws; well CJ missed 3 in the first half and Grant hit 2 for 2 in the last few minutes)
But it also might be worth mentioning we are playing a ton of low possession games. For a decent amount of that time CJ and Grant are sitting on the backline in the zone.
If it were me, I'd probably try to find a few minutes rest for CJ/JG, but not much. I want my best guys out there

Understand they just had a week off, but concerns me for the 2 in 3 days tourney schedule that Roberson may be less than prepared.
This is typical Boeheim not thinking a head to the tourneys. Invariably someone gets hurt making things worse for the situation. Its only a matter of time before the season catches up with our players in terms of injuries minor or bad.

Fair and Grant better get used to it because they aren't coming out in key games .. it goes with the territory and I can't disagree with the results. Roberson will have plenty of opportunities to shine in the big lights next year.

CJ is starting to look gassed. Needs to average less than 35 minutes a game in the regular season if we expect him to hold up through the NCAA's.

I think 7 days off will help recharge the squad. Today was a great win.

Don't forget.. Ennis also played another full 40 minutes today as well, just like against BC.

Don't forget.. Ennis also played another full 40 minutes today as well, just like against BC.

I didn't mention him because I don't believe taking him out against better teams is even an option at this point.
Tired Ennis is >>>> MG at point

Also...more chance of foul trouble for Grant or Fair vs Ennis

This is why I liked the "token start" it prevented things like this. Once the game gets going JB is going to play his best players heavy minutes regardless.

Last edited:
I didn't mention him because I don't believe taking him out against better teams is even an option at this point.
Tired Ennis is >>>> MG at point

Also...more chance of foul trouble for Grant or Fair vs Ennis

also he doesn't have to bang down low so its different

I was going to post the same thing. CJ missing the FTs was telling. Grant lost the spring in his hop. Also getting beat for inside position on the missed Pitt FT.
CJ also missed both ft's on the technical in the first half and I don't think that had anything to do with him having played 16 minutes up till then

CJ also missed both ft's on the technical in the first half and I don't think that had anything to do with him having played 16 minutes up till then
He also missed two other free throws before that didn't he? His stat line shows 2-6 from the line. And two of those misses were a couple centimeters away from being airballs.

They aren't back-to-back in the true sense of the word. They are Thur-Sat or Fri-Sun for the first four games, then Sat-Mon for the Final Four. There is always a day off in between.

They aren't back-to-back in the true sense of the word. They are Thur-Sat or Fri-Sun for the first four games, then Sat-Mon for the Final Four. There is always a day off in between.
Yeah that's why I was saying 80 minutes per weekend. That's a lot to ask of these guys.

Cuse315Pat said:
Yeah that's why I was saying 80 minutes per weekend. That's a lot to ask of these guys.

These are 18-22 year old kids that are at the prime of their athletic life. NBA players play these kind of minutes over a much longer season. I could see if it was back to back days, or three days in four, but two games a weekend (one being a blowout where they'll probably only need to play 25 minutes) isn't really a lot. And in the second game we'll be facing an equally tired team. Playing 33 minutes or 40 minutes isn't going to make a huge difference 48 hours later for guys as in shape and athletic as a college basketball players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom