40 mins of Cooney and G is NOT GOING TO WORK | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

40 mins of Cooney and G is NOT GOING TO WORK

spoiler alert. well i guess we all know now who's going # 1 and #2 in the nba draft . NOT!
Spoil alert #2. Phoenix /Oklahoma game tonight Tucker 42 min. Warren 41 min. Knight 42 min. Booker 39 min. Durant 40 min. BALLERS CAN BALL FOR 40

81South said:
How much should Cooney and G rest/sit during a game to be fresh in the last few minutes of a game? I am curious what people think because I am fine with those guys playing 40 minutes. With the media and team time outs I don't see a problem unless the game turns into a track meet.

2 mins each half just before a TV timeout. Not at the same time of course.

The college game is approx 2 hrs (120 min) long. Minus the 40 min actual is 80 min of rest time. Your resting 2 out of 3 min not counting the time your resting while the clock is running.

Wilt averaged 45.8 minutes per game for his NBA career.
Screenshot_2015-12-31-22-43-38-1.png

Wilt averaged 45.8 minutes per game for his NBA career.
View attachment 54582

Please do not compare NBA athletes with college athletes.

Also consider the game was much, much different back when Wilt played.

Please also consider Wilt may be the biggest freak of nature athlete to ever play in the NBA.

I'll concede this point, if we had Wilt Chamberlain, I'd be fine with him playing 40 minutes a game.

2 mins each half just before a TV timeout. Not at the same time of course.

I think it should be a bit more, but this is a very viable resting strategy for these two, imo.

Please do not compare NBA athletes with college athletes.

Also consider the game was much, much different back when Wilt played.

Please also consider Wilt may be the biggest freak of nature athlete to ever play in the NBA.

I'll concede this point, if we had Wilt Chamberlain, I'd be fine with him playing 40 minutes a game.
I made no such comparison, but I do find it interesting that a few professional players from every era of the game have averaged about 40 mpg for their careers.

As far as the college game goes, it's not unusual to see players averaging 36+ mpg which would equate to about 43+ mpg in a 48-minute game.

Spoil alert #2. Phoenix /Oklahoma game tonight Tucker 42 min. Warren 41 min. Knight 42 min. Booker 39 min. Durant 40 min. BALLERS CAN BALL FOR 40

Why didn't they play 48?

Why didn't they play 48?
Because it's an 82 game season of 3 to 4 games per week (plus much more for those teams going deep in the playoffs) as opposed to a shorter season of about 2 games per week on average.

Because it's an 82 game season of 3 to 4 games per week (plus much more for those teams going deep in the playoffs) as opposed to a shorter season of about 2 games per week on average.

Fair enough...Why doesn't Lebron James or Steph Curry play 48 mins in every game in the Playoff..or how about just the Finals? Should Lebron James, the best athlete arguably ever in basketball, be able to play 48 mins in the a huge finals game?

Fair enough...Why doesn't Lebron James or Steph Curry play 48 mins in every game in the Playoff..or how about just the Finals? Should Lebron James, the best athlete arguably ever in basketball, be able to play 48 mins in the a huge finals game?
They probably could do it if asked, and in the the 60s-70's era NBA they no doubt would have logged those minutes.

Let me ask you this, if the NBA played a 40-minute game, do you think the top players would play proportionally less, or would they essentially play the 34-38 mpg they do now?

I think it should be a bit more, but this is a very viable resting strategy for these two, imo.

I concur. That should be the general plan of attack, but it would be nice if the coaches showed some increased flexibility with the minutes as needed. TC has played well 2 of the past 3, and in those games, keep him on this plan. They need to be willing to sit him when he's off though. Same with Mali. This is a team with a small margin for error, so taking risks when players are struggling by going to a Frank Howard for extended run, or even Joseph, isn't going to ruin the season.

G was having a somewhat off night against Pitt, sit him for a little more if needed. It all depends - the frustrating part is that the coaches seem afraid to deviate from the norm more often than not of late.

They probably could do it if asked, and in the the 60s-70's era NBA they no doubt would have logged those minutes.

Let me ask you this, if the NBA played a 40-minute game, do you think the top players would play proportionally less, or would they essentially play the 34-38 mpg they do now?

Probably not less, I believe they would the 34-38. They wouldn't play 40...which is my whole argument.

I understand 2-5 mins doesn't seem like much, but there's a reason for it.

I hate to say this, but as an SU fan/alum for over 25 years, I have aways seen the lack of subs and roster planning almost as a bit of laziness on the part of the staff...its almost like they don't want to deal with the complexity of it and would just rather leave the staters in. It has always been the one "complaint" I have and a common thread to bad seasons, Feb swoons, etc.

I know I am not a H.O.F. coach and never will be, but there is no way you can convince me that the bottom will drop out if you give Howard 4 minutes a half and maybe Joseph for a minute or 2 as well as giving Lydon what he already gets.

Why didn't they play 48?
I'm sure they could have played 48 if they had to. But they have a 13 man NBA roster and still logged those min. Syracuse doesn't have a quality bench. You can split even min with even players but our bench isn't close to even other than Tyler. Howard isn't going to give you points. His next 3 will be his first in his career. I guess we should play all the walkons because the more players that play the better we will be next year

I'm sure they could have played 48 if they had to. But they have a 13 man NBA roster and still logged those min. Syracuse doesn't have a quality bench. You can split even min with even players but our bench isn't close to even other than Tyler. Howard isn't going to give you points. His next 3 will be his first in his career. I guess we should play all the walkons because the more players that play the better we will be next year

Ah, you're not interested in honest debate.

Got it.

See ya.

Ah, you're not interested in honest debate.

Got it.

See ya.
Well. The debate was giving more min to other players. Who you going to give them to?

I'm sure they played those minutes consecutively.

Probably not less, I believe they would the 34-38. They wouldn't play 40...which is my whole argument.

I understand 2-5 mins doesn't seem like much, but there's a reason for it.
I think at the college level playing your top players 40 mpg (or something close to it) is a viable approach (and really not all that unusual), particularly when the drop-off in talent and/or experience is significant. Granted, it would be nice to give the bench some run, but when true blow-outs are rare (as is the case with SU right now), it's understandable why it doesn't happen.

Last edited:
What's going to happen if we play the bench players a few minutes? We'll lose the game? Well that's going to happen anyway.

What's going to happen if we play the bench players a few minutes? We'll lose the game? Well that's going to happen anyway.
It's easy to make statements like that, but I wonder how readily any of us would go to the bench if we were coaching a team we knew had the talent to win at the highest level but little margin for error.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom