40 mins of Cooney and G is NOT GOING TO WORK | Syracusefan.com

40 mins of Cooney and G is NOT GOING TO WORK

djcon57

Living Legend
Period.

I'm NOT suggesting they would have won, they might have lost by 20...I don't know and don't care. I'm not talking about this specific game.

I do know there will be games we need the bench guys. I do know there will be games Cooney and G need their legs at the end of games. I do know in the ACC tourney when maybe we need 3 games, they will need a breather.

You know that isn't going to happen -- especially when looking at the rotations. Cooney and G aren't sitting anytime soon.

Period.

I'm NOT suggesting they would have won, they might have lost by 20...I don't know and don't care. I'm not talking about this specific game.

I do know there will be games we need the bench guys. I do know there will be games Cooney and G need their legs at the end of games. I do know in the ACC tourney when maybe we need 3 games, they will need a breather.
Period.

We have NO bench players. None. We are a flawed team and cannot go to our bench to cure what ails us. We need Cooney and Gbinije out there because we don't have enough scoring to allow them to sit. I'd rather roll them out there for 40 and have the chance to win than sit them and not score for 5 min of a close game.

We have NO bench players. None. We are a flawed team and cannot go to our bench to cure what ails us. We need Cooney and Gbinije out there because we don't have enough scoring to allow them to sit. I'd rather roll them out there for 40 and have the chance to win than sit them and not score for 5 min of a close game.

G has come a long way, but you just can't have your point guard not finishing at the rim on a consistent basis, and the bed continuously from the foul line either...

You know that isn't going to happen -- especially when looking at the rotations. Cooney and G aren't sitting anytime soon.
These two are the backbone of this team. They can score, drive and set up other players ... and as veterans they rarely make mental mistakes with the ball in tough situations. So not disrespecting them at all .. of course they're going to play. All that said ... they're logging too many hard minutes with no rest ... so clearly they're not going to have fresh legs down the stretch as we saw dramatically tonight with late TO's (fatigue). I give Hop credit for trying to get Howard in there .. but we don't have the bench to take G/TC out and still have an offense. And we don't have the size up front to take out DC and not get humped on the glass. So much for that.

Period.

We were up 8 at 43-35 and then got outscored 18-37 down the stretch. It speaks for itself. First game of acc , imagine at end of acc season

Period.

least of our concerns.

Period.

I love Cooney, but we ve seen what happens for 2nd half of 13-14, all of 14-15 and first half of 15-16 when he plays 35-40 mins. I believe it s the worst stretch of JB era. I dont quite get it, but it prob won't change in 2nd half of this season and thats a little scary to me. This team has talent, enough to be in great shape, up 8 against a solid Pitt team on road, w 12 min to go. Then it was all downhill down the stretch. Not sitting 3-4 guys in 2nd half, it worked in Baha, but i just dont see how it can work for extended stretches of a season...

I thought TC played a very good game, but that final intercepted pass w ~2 mins to go was either pure laziness or he was spent. He drove the lane but never angled to basket, then threw a hookshot pass over his shoulder backwards that was easily picked off in lane. Game was basically over after that. Tough to watch

Period.

Gbinije was missing free throws and failing to finish at the rim in the first half when he presumably had his legs. He can rest after the season.

Except, the offense has actually run more smoothly when Howard has been in.

Bc G moved down to the 3. It's a nice lineup .. Howard and TC up top, G at the 3, Lydon/TR at the 4 and DC down low. That lineup was scoring and rebounding. When DC went out ... it all went haywire.

Hey, they're still fun to watch even if the last 5 minutes were frustrating. This is a year where you just have to tip your hat to the other teams, have a beer and enjoy seeing G and TC play.

Bc G moved down to the 3. It's a nice lineup .. Howard and TC up top, G at the 3, Lydon/TR at the 4 and DC down low. That lineup was scoring and rebounding. When DC went out ... it all went haywire.

Hey, they're still fun to watch even if the last 5 minutes were frustrating. This is a year where you just have to tip your hat to the other teams, have a beer and enjoy seeing G and TC play.

Reed, Concur completely. And I think we have time to get better. I'm beginning to think the most important part is DC. If he can get better and stay on the court, who know what will happen!

Plus, not all teams will kill us on the boards like Pitt. Happy New Year!

We're a 5 man team with 3 of them playing out of position most of the time. This team needs a point guard in the worst way. A distributor that can penetrate and dish. I don't want to be critical of G but he is a finisher, not a distributor. And despite the stats from last night...Roberson is a dreadful offensive player. When he got the ball at the free throw line and everyone dropped off him and he wouldn't (shouldn't?) pull the trigger I groaned. And he's one of the 2 actually playing his correct position. Hopefully next year he plays his proper role of forward off the bench. IMO Moyer has a chance to start if he can play D. With the limited schollies SU just can not afford to have players like Obokoh and Joseph that we are afraid to play. Especially as a sophomore and junior!

I thought TC played a very good game, but that final intercepted pass w ~2 mins to go was either pure laziness or he was spent. He drove the lane but never angled to basket, then threw a hookshot pass over his shoulder backwards that was easily picked off in lane. Game was basically over after that. Tough to watch
We don't have a good team. It really is that simple. taking out G and TC would mean putting in players that can't score. They are also not that good defensively. We will get hotr and win games. But at the end, we have fatal flaws.

We don't have a good team. It really is that simple. taking out G and TC would mean putting in players that can't score. They are also not that good defensively. We will get hotr and win games. But at the end, we have fatal flaws.

Who are we putting in that can't score? Howard?

Agree with this. I'm honestly shocked he isn't getting more run. He is a smart player, makes good passes, etc. One thing I have noticed with Frank is he doesn't make a lot of dumb plays. He certainly isn't a liability when he is out there and he actually attacks the rim pretty well. I think he is our diamond in the rough, could potentially be a great guard for us in the years to come.

Agree with this. I'm honestly shocked he isn't getting more run. He is a smart player, makes good passes, etc. One thing I have noticed with Frank is he doesn't make a lot of dumb plays. He certainly isn't a liability when he is out there and he actually attacks the rim pretty well. I think he is our diamond in the rough, could potentially be a great guard for us in the years to come.
Yeah, look, we wasted a really solid game from Cooney because we burned out his legs and when it was late and we needed him to make plays he wasn't able to do it.

Get these guys some breaks. Give Howard more run. Heck, even roll Joseph out there a little bit. Use your timeouts. Give them a chance to have some fuel to burn at the end of the game.

People complain a lot about Cooney, and I myself get frustrated when he misses some open looks, but if everyone on the team (Roberson/Lydon/Mal) played as hard as he does, I don't think we would have near the defensive and rebounding issues we do. Also despite his injuries and current lack of skill, DC busts his but out there. We need more energy from other guys besides those two.

How much should Cooney and G rest/sit during a game to be fresh in the last few minutes of a game? I am curious what people think because I am fine with those guys playing 40 minutes. With the media and team time outs I don't see a problem unless the game turns into a track meet.

well both larry joe bird and magic johnson sat for a breather . you think that the dudes behind them were better?
36 minutes tops.

Last edited:
well both larry joe bird and magic johnson sat for a breather . you think that the dudes behind them were better?
36 minutes tops.
Bird and Johnson averaged 37 min per game in college. Same as Trevor and G

Bird and Johnson averaged 37 min per game in college. Same as Trevor and G
spoiler alert. well i guess we all know now who's going # 1 and #2 in the nba draft . NOT!

We should use all out time-outs in the second half to give the guys some extra rest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom