#44 | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Uh, it *is* retired.

That is the problem.
Then stop playing these dumb games with it and say it’s done for real. Not directed at you. At the athletics department.

They dont want to give it to Sean then because he could possibly be wearing it instead of floyd's grandson maybe? I hope thats not the case.
Floyd's grandson, that I can't find anything online about? Let's say hypothetically he does develop into a p5 player, Tucker would be gone by the time he got here. Tucker wants it. The fans want it. The fact that it's retired and the families have an ounce of say in it, is stupid to me. It's not their call. Sean Tucker should have come out in it tonight. Period. I don't give a flying f*** what women beating Jim Brown thinks.

Great post.

While I think it is good to consult with the head coach and former players, I don’t think this decision should be made by either.

Jim is an all time great but he last played for Syracuse 65 years ago. He isn’t close to the program, and I am not sure any decision he makes on the issue will be made based on what is best for the football program. I hope if it is decided to allow players to wear 44 again, he will support the decision. It would be great to have him in the stadium that day in person, giving interviews and giving his blessing to the move. He isn’t going to be around forever. Giving back to his alma mater and to the newest generation, helping to address his bad public image, is not the worst idea in the world.

Same applies to Dino. Much respect to him, glad he wants to have former players who wore 44 consulted on this. That said, even though Dino has been here for 5 years or so, he is an outsider who struggles to make good decisions and he should probably focus on coaching his team instead of delving into long term strategic policy decisions.

This is a big picture issue that could play a role in getting the football program back to winning ways, hopefully led by an AA RB who wears 44. We had an outsider who never understood the culture and history at Syracuse retire the uniform. I have had enough of clueless people making bad decisions on this.

We have a great player who understands the significance of the 44 jersey and actually wants to wear it. He is, from all accounts, a really good kid, as well as a great football player. Why in the world would we throw away a chance to get all the positive PR and press that this move would generate? What is the downside?

The tradition of 44 was created as a living tribute to Jim Brown.

It was specifically decided not to retire the number, but to pass it along.

Not giving the number to Sean Tucker is a huge mistake by the Athletic Department - a wasted opportunity to create a generational marketing event for the Program.

It would be a national story that would focus the attention of the college football world on Syracuse University.

Ugh!!

Last edited:
there you go.
Out for his junior season. Broke his collar bone in the first game and had to have it surgically repaired. He was the starting rb on his team in Potomac, Md.

I think we can forget about giving Sean number 44. The Little family wants their grandson to be the next to wear it. Watching his film shows very little. It’s not going to happen so Wildhack might as well put it to bed. If Tucker can’t wear it you might as well forget about ever giving it to anyone else. Pretty sad.

I think we can forget about giving Sean number 44. The Little family wants their grandson to be the next to wear it. Watching his film shows very little. It’s not going to happen so Wildhack might as well put it to bed. If Tucker can’t wear it you might as well forget about ever giving it to anyone else. Pretty sad.
Completely unfair to Tucker, fans, and the program. And honestly comes off selfish

If the kid comes here he could still wear it...

I think with the TRANSFER PORTAL the fear is you give it to a kid then he bolts and he devalues the #44 and it's a bad look for the program.

Plus with NIL if Syracuse does a deal where players get paid for jersey sales does Tucker get money for every #44 jersey sale? I know the jersey sale money and the players getting a cut is a school by school and state by state thing as of right now. That may change soon and Im sure Syracuse is working on something in the next year or so. If so that's a lot of money SU gives up as a lot of #44 jerseys are sold.

I think there are a lot of factors in play here that go into this decision and why Whildhack is saying what he is saying.

Reading what she said, then Tucker should get the number he is everything Floyd would want. If Floyd was still alive, there is no way he wouldn't want someone like Tucker to wear it.
She says she wants her grandson to be next. Then it’s fair game.

Ok, that’s nuts.
Agree. That’s crazy. And comes across incredibly selfish for a guy who prioritized the school over everything else. I can’t see him saying that if he saw the way Tucker is playing and carrying himself.

also way to put insane pressure on your grandson.

I know many on the board know Deborah so perhaps these comments didn’t do her feelings justice. Especially on an emotional night. But it’s not a great look.

at least it explains why wildhack feels like he has no choice.

Ok, that’s nuts.

Yeah, and Jim Brown was exactly none of those things, with the exception of being the GOAT as a RB.
(and also Lax).

Floyd's grandson……..Let's say hypothetically he does develop into a p5 player, Tucker would be gone by the time he got here. Tucker wants it. The fans want it.
This.

Tucker’s Syracuse experience shouldn’t be contingent on Floyd’s grandson.

You give it to Tucker. He goes to the NFL. Then save it for the grandson. Give it to him even if he’s a walk-on. Doesn’t matter.

Then you can say Jim, Ernie, Floyd, Konrad, and a guy currently playing on Sundays have worn 44 and now this new-generation-legacy-of-44 is representing his grandfather, a Syracuse Legend, and the story becomes more fascinating. And then you unleash it for recruiting and let the chips fall where they may.

There are more ppl invested and attached to 44 and this football team than just those within the inner sanctum of the program and SU should operate under that truth.

I've read of other situations where numbers have been retired and it's typical to ask for permission/blessing for a player to wear the number if they want to unretire it. So I don't really have a problem with the idea.

In the situations I have read about it, it's been granted, especially when the guy is such an excellent representative of the program like Sean is. I don't want to badmouth the Littles, but this sucks.

Good for her. It’s not the Little families property to bequeath to the grandson.

the fact that Syracuse agreed to this says more about how stupid SU Athletics are than it says about the Little family making outrageous demands (and them being accommodated).

I would love if Jim Boeheim gave 44 to Jimmy Boeheim this year. The whole thing, from my perspective, went from a cool gesture to a stupid thing that has been co-opted by non university folk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom