4th down inside the 50 | Syracusefan.com

4th down inside the 50

23Zone

Walk On
As ENORMOUS underdogs and with absolutely nothing to lose, Dino should go for every 4th down inside the Clemson 50 when it is less than 4th and 10. Punting is essentially pointless in this game. Show some nuts...

If we show after a few series that we cant slow them down then just go for it until it gets out of control from everywhere.. If nothing else their D might end up staying on the field more and maybe we move it that way..

But I dont know that we just start out that way until we show the D cant make stops. Why shorten the field on drive 1 or 2 if we dont have too.

Our HS team had that issue a few years ago against the Tioga machine.. Went for it and moved the ball on drive 1 scored and kept their offense off the field.. Then they scored easily.. We got it back and had the same chance to do it again, punted, they scored again and never caught back up.

OF course if we could run on 4th and 1 its a much easier thing to try and do.

Bold of you to assume we will get to their side of the field before we are already out of the game

As ENORMOUS underdogs and with absolutely nothing to lose, Dino should go for every 4th down inside the Clemson 50 when it is less than 4th and 10. Punting is essentially pointless in this game. Show some nuts...
and-its-because-they-didnt-hold-anything-back.jpg

I say we run the ball or throw “sure” short completions all game and snap the ball with 1 on the playclock every play. Keep that clock moving. Play prevent and make Clemson methodically go down the field, and limit big plays. Get this thing over with as fast as possible, and don’t lose by something insane like 70 points.

Guess someone didn't want to flex his balls when there actually was a sliver of hope to strike with a go ahead drive late in the 3rd... 4th and 1 from the -40 you have to play to win when 45 point underdog... very disappointed they punted even if it was downed at the 3. Doesn't matter. Message sent.

and we got the ball back so did it matter?

Right. It wasn't the game as many here claim. They had the chance to go down the next possession and take the lead or bring it down to three. The fumble lost the game, not punting on 4th down.

If the offense was humming you can take that chance. But it wasnt. the D didnt let the team down.

What's our success rate this season on 4th and 1?

Do you trust Rex with a sneak? Or do you trust Lutz?

If we had a healthier OL and could use Rhino as a lead back... but we couldn't.

Respectfully disagree. You can't play scared. Absolute had nothing to lose. Never going to win that game without taking chances. The momentum was there. Its all about momentum. In a 50/50 game sure go punt but this was a 99.9 to 0.1. Strap on the big boy pants and go for it. And by the way 4th and 1 need not be a run up the middle for all the haters. Past failures on 4th and 1 need not dictate future decisions. Get creative. Throw to the damn tight end on play action. Play to win.

The 4th down run using 5’8” Nykiem in the wildcat was just a terrible play call. No imagination to that play and awful execution.

with that being said, agree this play call was i credibly juvenile.

I liked the wildcat play call in that situation but Babers should have run it to edge / perimeter to maximize Nykeim speed and elusiveness, not into the throng of big bodies.

I agree. The up in the middle in that situation was a puzzling play call, although it shouldn't be that surprising considering the pattern and trend of poor/questionable play calling. Interesting that Dino went for it in that instance, yet when all the momentum and game pressure had shifted 100% onto Clemson late in the third, he chose to punt. I struggle understanding the method to his madness at times...

What's our success rate this season on 4th and 1?

Do you trust Rex with a sneak? Or do you trust Lutz?

If we had a healthier OL and could use Rhino as a lead back... but we couldn't.
Nothing has worked. Wildcat, quick QB sneak, power formation, read option. The line just gets no push.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom