5-7 Format Confirmed for 12-Team Playoff | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

5-7 Format Confirmed for 12-Team Playoff

Their pending departure is so counterintuitive.

They'll lose more games and be eternally indebted to a venture capital group, but at least they can look forward to being aligned with Minnesota/Rutgers and playing second fiddle to the SEC, yet again.

Definitely worth $500M+ if you ask me.

They're delusional... they think they're going to get into the SEC and then resurrect the Bowden peak years every year...

FSU wants the money, which in the SEC would be more than the ACC money plus whatever they would get from being in the playoffs if they were in the ACC.

If they go above 12 you’re absolutely going to have teams sitting players etc as the season goes on like what happens in the NFL

Sad what’s happening to College Football
Do they do that in the lower divisions where they have more than 12?

in the NFL you know when you are in and you know the seed often.. in college you wont.. say you are top 4 team playing a non top 12 team but what do the bottom 8 do ? they might all get knocked out with upsets and you wont get a bye as a top 4 team either if you dont win the conf champ game

in the NFL you know when you are in and you know the seed often.. in college you wont.. say you are top 4 team playing a non top 12 team but what do the bottom 8 do ? they might all get knocked out with upsets and you wont get a bye as a top 4 team either if you dont win the conf champ game

You’re telling me that Alabama or Georgia won’t know if they are in or not with one week left if they go up to say, 16 teams?

Come on guys

Has it been decided if the NY6 bowl games will be the CFP games, or will they be separate with home field advantage?
The quarterfinals and semifinals will be played in the New Year's Six bowl games, the national championship game will continue to be at a neutral site.

You’re telling me that Alabama or Georgia won’t know if they are in or not with one week left if they go up to say, 16 teams?

Come on guys
you dont think they want to get home field in a 16 or the bye in a 12?

if they are 3rd in the SEC they wont know nothing either. you could have 4 spots get stolen in conf champ games and from from in to out pretty easy.

you dont think they want to get home field in a 16 or the bye in a 12?

if they are 3rd in the SEC they wont know nothing either. you could have 4 spots get stolen in conf champ games and from from in to out pretty easy.

If they go above 12 I’ve heard they will all be neutral site games

Will never happen. But just break Div 1 in half.

roughly 72 teams

12 game regular season.

12th week is a ladder matchup in division or conference. 1-2, -3-4, 5-6 and so on. The top 3 games would be played at neutral sites.

Top 24 tournament. Top 8 get first round bye. Neutral site games would only be the semi’s and Finals.

Next 24 play NIT tournament (people will sit out, but it’s extra football.)

Next 24 teams get no games and only practice.

Only 1 more game than what the other divisions in college football play. You don’t necessarily get rid of your conference tournament due to the ladder match last week of the year. You give the top 8 teams a bye and something to play for. The top would potentially get 2 home games.

Not perfect. But I think would be fun and may be appealing. Unfortunately, too many pockets to fill with bowl games and neutral site games. Conferences being greedy and destroying other conferences. Tough place for college sports right now.

If they go above 12 I’ve heard they will all be neutral site games
even then though they will still have to seed, then the question will be if the seeding is done with winners getting top 4 seeds or not.

IMO they should go to 18 teams with the 9 conference champs and the 9 best at larges. Then break it down as follows.

1st Round
1. 9th best at large at 3rd best at large
2. 8th best at large at 4th best at large
3. 7th best at large at 7th best conference champ
4. 6th best at large at 8th best conference champ
5. 5th best at large at 9th best conference champ

2nd Round
6. Lowest seed at best at large
7. 2nd lowest seed at 2nd best at large
8. 3rd highest seed at 4th best conference champ
9. 2nd highest seed at 5th best conference champ
10. Highest seed at 6th best conference champ

Round 3
11. Lowest seeded from Round 2 at best conference champ
12. 2nd lowest seed at 2nd best conference champ
13. 3rd highest seed at 3rd best conference champ
14. 2nd highest seed at highest seed Round 2 winner

Semis
15. Highest seed vs lowest seed
16. 2nd best seed vs 2nd lowest seed

Championship Game
17. Game 15 winner vs Game 16 winner

Last season would have been something like:

1st Round
Penn State at Georgia
Oklahoma at Ohio State
Ole Miss at Tulane
Mizzou at Troy
Oregon at Miami Ohio

2nd Round
Tulane at Washington
Oregon at Bama
Mizzou at Arizona
Ohio State at Oregon State
Georgia at Liberty

Round 3
Oregon State at Michigan
Oregon at Texas
Mizzou at Florida State
Georgia at Washington

Semis
Michigan vs Mizzou
Texas vs Washington

Championship Game
Michigan vs Washington

By conference it would have been:

6 teams: SEC
5 teams: B18
1 team: AAC, ACC, B12, CUSA, MAC, PAC/MWC, Sun Belt
0 teams: Independents (Notre Dame, UConn, UMass)
I think that would be too hard to follow for a casual and potentially too many games. 12 is perfect.

So this is not a P4 champion will qualify scenario, it is all conference champions. If AAC or Mountain West or whatever Conf. Champ is ranked above the best Big12 or ACC team, or that "best" team loses their conf. championship game to a low ranked or unranked upstart (like Pitt or Louisville in recent pasts) then the ACC is at the mercy of the highest ranked next 7 (and the loser of the conference championship game may in fact get the bid).
Under rules announced previously, a team had to be a conference champion to be one of the 4 teams getting byes. Using last season as an example, if Louisville had beaten FSU, but was not ranked in the top 4, both of them would not have received 1st round byes. FSU's ceiling would have been #5 as a non-champion. ND as an independent also has #5 as its ceiling, and they are perfectly agreeable to that. Sankey put in that proviso as a way 1. to get people to agree to the expansion to 12 and 2. keep ND from joining the ACC or B1G.

Under rules announced previously, a team had to be a conference champion to be one of the 4 teams getting byes. Using last season as an example, if Louisville had beaten FSU, but was not ranked in the top 4, both of them would not have received 1st round byes. FSU's ceiling would have been #5 as a non-champion. ND as an independent also has #5 as its ceiling, and they are perfectly agreeable to that. Sankey put in that proviso as a way 1. to get people to agree to the expansion to 12 and 2. keep ND from joining the ACC or B1G.
Skankey (misspelling intentional) ... the gift that keeps on giving. :mad:

FSU should look at this and think it thru

Win the ACC and get a bye..

Come in 3rd in the SEC/B10 and maybe end up playing at an ACC place

which is more likely to happen in a good way.

if you are not the best the ACC you probably are not 2-3-4 in the other 2 conf anyway
These facts won't stop their cereal aisle tantrum.

I think that would be too hard to follow for a casual and potentially too many games. 12 is perfect.

I think 12 is too much. I think 7 is perfect. Still makes it exclusive, and the season means a lot.

Going past 12, I don't see how one doesn't include every conference champ. Otherwise it is a farce.

I think 12 is too much. I think 7 is perfect. Still makes it exclusive, and the season means a lot.

Going past 12, I don't see how one doesn't include every conference champ. Otherwise it is a farce.
Honestly, though what casual fan wants to see the likes of LSU, or Oregon at
Miami Ohio in the 1st rd. The lower level G5’s have no business taking away spots from powerhouse programs who lived in the top 12 all year. Of course the higher ranked conference winners will make it, but we want the other 7 wild cards to be the interesting, top teams, or nobody willl care enough to watch when your advertising for the likes of Miami Ohio, UTSA, Liberty, San Jose St, and Troy. I’m sure 1 or 2 may
even finish themselves high enough to earn a spot, but certainly shouldn't be given.

Miami Ohio in the 1st rd. The lower level G5’s have no business taking away spots from powerhouse programs who lived in the top 12 all year. Of course the higher ranked conference winners will make it, but we want the other 7 wild cards to be the interesting, top teams, or nobody willl care enough to watch when your advertising for the likes of Miami Ohio, UTSA, Liberty, San Jose St, and Troy. I’m sure 1 or 2 may
even finish themselves high enough to earn a spot, but certainly shouldn't be given.
I agree which is why I have been saying for years the bottom of the FBS needs to be sent away. But if you are going to include them in FBS, they should be included in the playoff. I prefer a break away.

I would find it interesting to see the SEC, far west Big 10 or a southern Big 12 "school" play the MAC schools because they seldom or if ever do.

The criteria should be interesting on who to invite.

I would find it interesting to see the SEC, far west Big 10 or a southern Big 12 "school" play the MAC schools because they seldom or if ever do.

The criteria should be interesting on who to invite.

It would be a road game too. So something like the #10 team on the road vs a G5 conference champ. It could be over at halftime but it also could be upset alert if it is close.

SIAP

They've got absolutely no problem with that because it allows them to keep their independence. Sankey was a genius in proposing this. It took away any reason to reject it (because 2 SEC teams wouldn't be given byes) and it assured that ND would not join the B1G or ACC.

They could go to 15 and auto bid conference champs with 6 at larges. Works out pretty much the same for the B18 and SEC. The ACC and B16 are worse off. The G5 better.

That or break away from G5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom