5-7 Format Confirmed for 12-Team Playoff | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

5-7 Format Confirmed for 12-Team Playoff

They could go to 15 and auto bid conference champs with 6 at larges. Works out pretty much the same for the B18 and SEC. The ACC and B16 are worse off. The G5 better.

That or break away from G5.
The government will be forced to step in if the tried to cut out the G5. Congress would demand antitrust action be taken and the last thing CFP execs want is to be seated in front of TV cameras explaining why the G5 was cut out.

The government will be forced to step in if the tried to cut out the G5. Congress would demand antitrust action be taken and the last thing CFP execs want is to be seated in front of TV cameras explaining why the G5 was cut out.
I meant break away with criteria to be in FBS 1A that they cannot meet. Same reason FCS cannot join.

I meant break away with criteria to be in FBS 1A that they cannot meet. Same reason FCS cannot join.
Oh, that's definitely on the horizon. And it won't be just G5 schools. They will create that pay-for-pay division with requirements so onerous that a lot of Power Conference schools will opt out.

If the ACC can stay together I think this would work for us.
Maybe

Who picks the ACC #2? The committee or the conference? If it is the committee it might be better to be ACC #3 vs being #2, as long as both Clemson and FSU aren’t in play.

For instance…

ACC CG
#1 FSU blows out #2 Louisville
#3 might get the CFP bid

If it is just the #1 and #2 it makes the ACC CG less do or die. Sure a 3 seed is better than a 12 seed but you don’t lose out on the playoffs.

I think it's absolute garbage that the B1G and SEC would get more automagically. The assumption that more media money means they will have the better teams being codified into the selection process is silly stuff and is another way they will put their fingers on the scales.

Swarmy B1G booster: "we got 3 teams in so you have more of a chance"

Meanwhile, the ACC and B1G have the same number of national titles in the last 10 years.

The SEC can make a better case for having more teams, but it's dumb to think that will automatically be true every year. I'd leave it up to committees with a heavier emphasis on computer rankings to sort it out more transparently.

Maybe

Who picks the ACC #2? The committee or the conference? If it is the committee it might be better to be ACC #3 vs being #2, as long as both Clemson and FSU aren’t in play.

For instance…

ACC CG
#1 FSU blows out #2 Louisville
#3 might get the CFP bid

If it is just the #1 and #2 it makes the ACC CG less do or die. Sure a 3 seed is better than a 12 seed but you don’t lose out on the playoffs.
Excellent point. I don't know who picks the ACC #2.

I guess it depends on how close the #2 and #3 teams are in the rankings prior to the ACCCG. If they are close and #2 loses, then #3 can jump them. If #2 is ranked 10 and #3 a fringe top 25 team, then #2 probably still gets it even with a loss.

For us, just making the playoffs is all I can really ask for (as least for now)

Excellent point. I don't know who picks the ACC #2.

I guess it depends on how close the #2 and #3 teams are in the rankings prior to the ACCCG. If they are close and #2 loses, then #3 can jump them. If #2 is ranked 10 and #3 a fringe top 25 team, then #2 probably still gets it even with a loss.

For us, just making the playoffs is all I can really ask for (as least for now)
I'm guessing they wouldn't go by subjective rankings, and go by actual conference standings.

I'm guessing they wouldn't go by subjective rankings, and go by actual conference standings.

But who is “they”? The ACC gets to choose or the committee?

If team A is 6-2 in the ACC and gets trounced in the ACC CG and team B is also 6-2 in the ACC they could be ranked higher after the ACC CG. Heck even going into the ACC CG they might be ranked higher. If it is the committee choosing then the higher ranked team gets the bid.

I don’t understand why anyone would vote to help the SEC or Big 10. It doesn’t make sense to me. They don’t have majority. Why and how are they still getting there way?

Are they threatening to leave? Who gives a damn if they are. There would still be a product and there would still be a big contract to be had.

I’m not sure why conferences are letting the Big 10 and SEC think they can set the guidelines for the playoffs. Get aggressive and start pushing the narrative for all schools. I think the the two conferences are going to screw themselves because they are going to eat themselves up. It’s unlikely that teams will survive without 2-3 losses.

I’m not sure why conferences are letting the Big 10 and SEC think they can set the guidelines for the playoffs. Get aggressive and start pushing the narrative for all schools. I think the the two conferences are going to screw themselves because they are going to eat themselves up. It’s unlikely that teams will survive without 2-3 losses.
I said before just tell them hit the road no one in the NCAA is playing you in football or any other sports. You will be ineligible for any season ending Tournaments.
Their isn't any reason to play any of them at all. Tell them form your own association and tournaments.

I said before just tell them hit the road no one in the NCAA is playing you in football or any other sports. You will be ineligible for any season ending Tournaments.
Their isn't any reason to play any of them at all. Tell them form your own association and tournaments.

ESPN/Fox have too much money tied up to ever let that happen

Just make it 16 and give all 4 majors 3 teams why is this so hard to figure out
14 teams is stupid. Do the 16 like you said, no bye’s, 1 plays 16, 2 plays 15 etc, all 8 first round games on campus of higher seed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom