5 Bold and 5 Timid Predictions for 2024 | Syracusefan.com

5 Bold and 5 Timid Predictions for 2024

steve deberg

Scout Team
Call them bold predictions, call them wishful thinking, call them the ramblings of a bored sports fan who's stuck inside this weekend and looking to entertain himself - they arrive all the same.

5 Bold Predictions for 2024:

1)
Syracuse has two running backs run for 800+ yards each

For the first time since Jerome Smith (1,170) and Prince-Tyson Gulley (830) both ran for over 800 yards in 2012, LeQuint Allen and Yasin Willis will accomplish that same feat. HCFB has said he wants to establish the run and dictate the line of scrimmage. Willis already physically looks like an upperclassman and shined in the spring game. The Babers era was the bell cow era - I think Fran looks to distribute touches more and Willis will be up to the task against a relatively weak schedule.

2) Kyle McCord breaks multiple single season passing records

Ryan Nassib (and the entire offence) had a special year in 2012, setting the record for yards (3,749) and passing TDs (26) - McCord will break them both this year. While Lemon, Sales, and West were a tremendous trio of receives for Nassib in 2012, none of them were guys who could take the top off or turn a dig route into a 70+ yard TD. McCord looks to have the deepest and most diverse complement of offensive weapons we've seen in decades - including guys who can bring the explosive element that the 2012 offence lacked. That 2012 offence also really didn't start clicking until halfway through the year, so Nassib left a lot of meat on the bone, statistically speaking.

3) Syracuse will have 15+ explosive plays of over 50 yards

In the last few years, we haven't eclipsed ten 50+ yard explosive plays in a single season. There are many reasons this is the case, but I think a lack of explosive athletes (duh) and a lack of depth have been the two main contributing factors. The expected emergence of Willis will allow Allen to stay more fresh and hopefully have the legs to finish off some of the long runs he's been caught on. I also expect Yazeed Haynes and Emanuel Ross to bring game breaking ability to the offence we haven't seen in quite some time. Add in a healthy Gadsden pulling coverage his way, and Kyle McCord putting balls in better spots for big yards after catch, and I expect us to see more big plays than we have in years - especially against a relatively soft schedule.

4) Syracuse has 5+ players taken in the NFL Draft

While some of the players with the most raw talent are underclassmen, we absolutely have some seniors who could hear their name called at Lambeau Field next April. I think McCord and Fadil Diggs (DE) are locks to be drafted, but I also expect Marlowe Wax (LB), Justin Barron (LB/S), and Dion Wilson Jr (DL) to be drafted. Oronde Gadsen (WR/TE) could always leave before his eligibility is up, and seniors like Alijah Clarke (S) and J'Onre Reed (C) could get their names in the mix with big senior seasons. I predict Cuse will have five or more players taken in the draft for the first time since 2006.

5) College Gameday will come to Syracuse

OK this one is definitely more wishful thinking than bold prediction, but hear me out. Georgia Tech and Stanford won't be easy games, but I expect us to be favoured at home in both of them - win both of those games and there is a good chance we are 5-0 going into NC State. Pull off that win, and we're ranked going into a bye week before we kick the pitt out of Pitt. After that, it's a home game against our former Big East rival Virginia Tech. Other than a road game against Miami, VT should be favoured in every game they play before us. Given the energy Fran has injected into the program, and how he's brought the alumni back into the fold, it's not crazy to think that a ranked, 7-0 Syracuse hosting a ranked 7-1 or 6-2 Virginia Tech would be a desirable target for ESPN and College Gameday. We also finish the season hosting another old Big East rival in Miami, but that week will be loaded with other quality games. Prediction: Gameday in Syracuse for Virginia Tech on November 2nd.

5 Timid Predictions for 2024:

1)
Emanuel Ross catches 30+ passes for 400+ yards

Might be my favourite recruit in the class. I don't expect him to be a "starter" early (especially because he wasn't here for the spring), but I think he's the type of player that HCFB and Jeff Nixon (OC) will draw up plays for to get the ball in his hands a few times a game.

2) 10+ players will catch 10+ passes

As mentioned several times now, we have talent and depth like we haven't seen before - Fran is going to utilize it and get guys involved. With few exceptions, the era of the redshirt is over. If a player has talent and is physically ready, you play him in more than four games - guys want to play and will move on if they don't. At RB, Allen and Willis are locks to have 10+ receptions. Gadsden and Villari are locks to get 10+ receptions at TE, and I wouldn't be surprised if Tremble makes an impact. I think we see seven guys rotate through at WR and all go over that figure.

3) The defence will have 45+ sacks

Fadil Diggs is a bonafide NFL edge player - his presence plus the the addition of other big athletes on the D-line like Dion Wilson Jr., Michael Nwokocha, and Isaiah Hastings has changed the complexion of our defence. Add these guys to some talented players already here in Braylen Ingraham, Elijah Fuentes-Cundiff, Kevin Jobity, and Rashard Perry, and I expect this defence to get after the QB.

4) The team will average fewer than 5 penalties per game

Don't need to say much here. Penalties have been a huge issue for us - both volume of penalties and the timing of those penalties. HCFB seems to be saying and doing the right things to get this issue fixed. Averaging fewer than four penalties per game would have put a team in the top ten least penalized teams last year. Given the new schemes and amount of new players, I think that goal would be a stretch. However, I think fewer than 5 per game is a goal we can and will achieve.

5) Most of these predictions will be wrong.

That's just how it usually works.

Call them bold predictions, call them wishful thinking, call them the ramblings of a bored sports fan who's stuck inside this weekend and looking to entertain himself - they arrive all the same.

1)

For the first time since Jerome Smith (1,170) and Prince-Tyson Gulley (830) both ran for over 800 yards in 2012, LeQuint Allen and Yasin Willis will accomplish that same feat. HCFB has said he wants to establish the run and dictate the line of scrimmage. Willis already physically looks like an upperclassman and shined in the spring game. The Babers era was the bell cow era - I think Fran looks to distribute touches more and Willis will be up to the task against a relatively weak schedule.

Ryan Nassib (and the entire offence) had a special year in 2012, setting the record for yards (3,749) and passing TDs (26) - McCord will break them both this year. While Lemon, Sales, and West were a tremendous trio of receives for Nassib in 2012, none of them were guys who could take the top off or turn a dig route into a 70+ yard TD. McCord looks to have the deepest and most diverse complement of offensive weapons we've seen in decades - including guys who can bring the explosive element that the 2012 offence lacked. That 2012 offence also really didn't start clicking until halfway through the year, so Nassib left a lot of meat on the bone, statistically speaking.

In the last few years, we haven't eclipsed ten 50+ yard explosive plays in a single season. There are many reasons this is the case, but I think a lack of explosive athletes (duh) and a lack of depth have been the two main contributing factors. The expected emergence of Willis will allow Allen to stay more fresh and hopefully have the legs to finish off some of the long runs he's been caught on. I also expect Yazeed Haynes and Emanuel Ross to bring game breaking ability to the offence we haven't seen in quite some time. Add in a healthy Gadsden pulling coverage his way, and Kyle McCord putting balls in better spots for big yards after catch, and I expect us to see more big plays than we have in years - especially against a relatively soft schedule.

While some of the players with the most raw talent are underclassmen, we absolutely have some seniors who could hear their name called at Lambeau Field next April. I think McCord and Fadil Diggs (DE) are locks to be drafted, but I also expect Marlowe Wax (LB), Justin Barron (LB/S), and Dion Wilson Jr (DL) to be drafted. Oronde Gadsen (WR/TE) could always leave before his eligibility is up, and seniors like Alijah Clarke (S) and J'Onre Reed (C) could get their names in the mix with big senior seasons. I predict Cuse will have five or more players taken in the draft for the first time since 2006.

OK this one is definitely more wishful thinking than bold prediction, but hear me out. Georgia Tech and Stanford won't be easy games, but I expect us to be favoured at home in both of them - win both of those games and there is a good chance we are 5-0 going into NC State. Pull off that win, and we're ranked going into a bye week before we kick the pitt out of Pitt. After that, it's a home game against our former Big East rival Virginia Tech. Other than a road game against Miami, VT should be favoured in every game they play before us. Given the energy Fran has injected into the program, and how he's brought the alumni back into the fold, it's not crazy to think that a ranked, 7-0 Syracuse hosting a ranked 7-1 or 6-2 Virginia Tech would be a desirable target for ESPN and College Gameday. We also finish the season hosting another old Big East rival in Miami, but that week will be loaded with other quality games. Prediction: Gameday in Syracuse for Virginia Tech on November 2nd.

1)

Might be my favourite recruit in the class. I don't expect him to be a "starter" early (especially because he wasn't here for the spring), but I think he's the type of player that HCFB and Jeff Nixon (OC) will draw up plays for to get the ball in his hands a few times a game.

As mentioned several times now, we have talent and depth like we haven't seen before - Fran is going to utilize it and get guys involved. With few exceptions, the era of the redshirt is over. If a player has talent and is physically ready, you play him in more than four games - guys want to play and will move on if they don't. At RB, Allen and Willis are locks to have 10+ receptions. Gadsden and Villari are locks to get 10+ receptions at TE, and I wouldn't be surprised if Tremble makes an impact. I think we see seven guys rotate through at WR and all go over that figure.

Fadil Diggs is a bonafide NFL edge player - his presence plus the the addition of other big athletes on the D-line like Dion Wilson Jr., Michael Nwokocha, and Isaiah Hastings has changed the complexion of our defence. Add these guys to some talented players already here in Braylen Ingraham, Elijah Fuentes-Cundiff, Kevin Jobity, and Rashard Perry, and I expect this defence to get after the QB.

Don't need to say much here. Penalties have been a huge issue for us - both volume of penalties and the timing of those penalties. HCFB seems to be saying and doing the right things to get this issue fixed. Averaging fewer than four penalties per game would have put a team in the top ten least penalized teams last year. Given the new schemes and amount of new players, I think that goal would be a stretch. However, I think fewer than 5 per game is a goal we can and will achieve.

Nice writeup, but the player who if he can catch the ball, can change the offense would be James. He has the kind of speed the great teams have, someone who every time he touches the ball, can take it to the house.

I wish on Gameday. But Oregon @ Michigan that day and Ohio State @ Penn State.

I think we'd both have to be undefeated to stand a chance.

Not very bold of you.

While it is unlikely, Michigan hosts Texas and USC before Oregon comes to town - decent chance Gameday will have already been to Ann Arbor.

Unlikely that OSU or Ped State appear on Gameday prior to that week, but a girl can dream.

Yeah not happening. Clemson 2019 was our big chance and we blew it. NC State in 2022 would have been nice and deserved(in spite of the tailspin after it)

BOLD
11-1 conference championship game
Game Day
McCord Heisman talk
Team averages over 30 points per game.
Fran named coach of the year.

TIMID
8-4 solid bowl game
Top attendance in the last 20 years
Willis makes all American frosh team
Dan catches 5 touchdowns as a TE
No double timeouts for the season.

1)

1)

If this team has 15 + 50 plays and 45 plus sacks they are winning the national championship.

If this team has 15 + 50 plays and 45 plus sacks they are winning the national championship.
I agree that 45 sacks is likely too high a figure. It would have put us in the top ten nationally last year, which I think is a stretch.

I based that figure off of us having 39 sacks in 2021 with less talent against a harder schedule.

The explosive plays are a stretch as well, but Washington had 23 plays over 50 yards last year. If we stack up a bunch against the weaker teams on our schedule, it’s not a crazy figure.

But yes, if we approach both of those figures it will likely mean a historic season.

Just having fun here.

1. Gadsden and Diggs become day 1 and 2 picks.

2. Allen rewrites our rushing records and enters the Heisman discussion from the fringe.

3. Duce Chestnut leads the ACC in interceptions because Barron, Cinco, Grant and Bellamy play so damn good around him.

4. The Miami game is meaningful for both teams in regard to the ACC title.

5. Colorado sucks and we convince ourselves that they’ll knock on Frans door.

That 2012 offence also really didn't start clicking until halfway through the year, so Nassib left a lot of meat on the bone, statistically speaking.
Wasn’t this because we started the season without our NFL caliber LT, Justin Pugh?

My only point here. Can’t undersell the importance of the OL in any of these predictions.
That’s assuming these predictions are tethered to reality.

But yes, we need Washington and Hornsby to pick things up quickly in training camp.

I think the talent is there for an above average O-line. Just need five guys to separate themselves and gel as a unit.

Not very bold of you.

While it is unlikely, Michigan hosts Texas and USC before Oregon comes to town - decent chance Gameday will have already been to Ann Arbor.

Unlikely that OSU or Ped State appear on Gameday prior to that week, but a girl can dream.

Good point on Michigan. Almost certainly hosting Gameday for the game against Texas.

As for Ohio State - Penn State. Both have some tough road tests leading in. Ohio State goes to Oregon. Penn State goes to USC and Wisconsin.

So yes, a girl can dream. But no room for error. We have 3 straight road games leading up to it. VT's schedule looks pretty easy up to that point other than, as you pointed out, the road trip to Miami.

Bold:
SU scores on its opening offensive play.
Punt return for a TD in game 1.
10-3
Allen has a game where he runs for 200 yards.

Timid:
13 tubas - a new SUMB record
Tomcat would be in heaven!!!

we will know by the bye week if the oline has a chance to be solid. if we struggle in games 2-3 with the simple things as an oline its gonna be a long year.

My bold prediction: Weatherspoon will be an anchor of the OL. I really loved what I saw out of him at the spring game. With all the talent upgrades on the roster, he’s been overlooked. But he’s a guy like Villari that has all the measurables that just needs to continue to learn his position and develop. And like Villari I feel his Floor is a FA NFL shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom