55 of top 100 on ESPN have commited | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

55 of top 100 on ESPN have commited

Haven't heard anything new but with JB heading to the midwest to see James Young, I'll be curious to find out if Vaughn gets a visit or any contact.
Ah good point. Vaughn reminds me of Bradley Beal a bit. Very versatile scorer and sneaky athletic.

Thanks, thats what I thought but Francis had him listed with the guards.
I watched Young twice over the summer. One of them against Ennis and Wiggins CIA Bounce squad. Young is a terrific scorer with ridiculous range from deep. He's a 2/3, but his pro position will be at the 2. His official measurements at the LeBron camp this past summer was 6'6.5, 214lb, 6'11 wingspan. A little undersize for the wing but terrific up top.

I watched Young twice over the summer. One of them against Ennis and Wiggins CIA Bounce squad. Young is a terrific scorer with ridiculous range from deep. He's a 2/3, but his pro position will be at the 2. His official measurements at the LeBron camp this past summer was 6'6.5, 214lb, 6'11 wingspan. A little undersize for the wing but terrific up top.

Thanks. Seems we must at least have some sort of chance with JB visiting.

Thanks. Seems we must at least have some sort of chance with JB visiting.
Yeah, I don't think he would completely waste his time. And after meeting him, I bet we have a better chance.

We only have one freshmen in 2013 so far Ennis.
We will have only 2 sophmores in 2013 Grant and Dajaun(who will probably leave early at that.

That is a total of 3 sophmore and freshmen so far going into 2013 for a team like Syracuse.
And Gbinije, MCW, Rak, Dajuan, Fair are all knocking at the NBA to possibly leave early.

Recruits especially ones that could see themselves playing atleast 2 years should be dying to come in.
Some top player is going to come to their senses and realize this soon enough even if they have to sit out a year.

A team like Syracuse doesn't grab just 3 players in 2 years leaving a upperclassmen and experience gap in the future by choice. Imagine if one of them jumps to the NBA early (Dajuan) that would leave only 2 Jr/Seniors on the team. Thats not going ot happen.

Freshmen - Coleman, Grant, Cooney (RS)
Sophmores - MCW, Rakeem, Gbinje (RS)

Next year we will have 4 sophmores (Coleman and Grant plus redshirts Cooney and Gbinje)

Fair enough you can give Cooney and Gbinje a redshirt making them sophmores in 2013.
Rak, and MCW would be Jr's in 2013-2014.

I read it arbitrage giggles.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Just found out that Young is actually young(lol I know) for his grade. He could still be growing and who knows could be 7'5 by the time he hits a college campus a la Jerami Grant ;)

Just found out that Young is actually young(lol I know) for his grade. He could still be growing and who knows could be 7'5 by the time he hits a college campus a la Jerami Grant ;)

Here is a seemly random question? Can Cooney play back up minutes at the point?

I don't see Cooney as a point. However, both MCW and Triche are combos who can play point, so I think any combination of the three will work.

I don't see Cooney as a point. However, both MCW and Triche are combos who can play point, so I think any combination of the three will work.

I was hoping he could back up Ennis in 2013 if MCW goes pro

Well the team will lose Southerland this year, and add a true scorer in Gbinije at the two who at SG might not be on the floor with Cooney. It can't hurt having a true scorer knocking down threes next to Gbinije.

Had Devendorf came back in 09-10 I wouldn't be suprised if him or Rautins played together half the game even with Scoop and Triche. Had we not had Flynn in in 08-09 then Rautins and Devendorf would have made a nice perimeter shooting Duo especially with our lack of post up threats.

I love PG's, really I do. But you don't have to have them out there 40 minutes a game at the college level. We proved that in 03.
Not only that, but sometimes teams are better having a true scorer at PG then having a true PG who can't score that well. Really it makes you more deadly on offense with a 5th scoring threat, and if both a true pg and true SG are equal on defense then the team can be better with a SG at point. And for the record Ennis looks like he has a good chance to be a true scorer from day one.

Its good to have both though. Especially with a team that runs alot of isolation and motion through athleticism like we do, instead of double pics and readable set pieces. And we will have both with Ennis and Cooney :D . I see us going after a 4th guard though. Gbinije is being read at 6'7. But he still only weighs 200 if he moves to SF.

Cooney handles the ball very well and can help out in some situations but I don't view him as a lead guard.

..and of course we have Ennis as a PG...but it seems to me the process for Syracuse is taking quite long with not many visits and no one coming out and proclaiming 'Cuse as #1...I was expecting and maybe wrongly so that our elite camp would result in one or two strong leans...so questions:

1. What are the needs/want positions filled in class of 2013
2. How many recruits do we want out of this class
3. We have earmarked very good players but do not see any of them jumping to 'Cuse---find that intereting and dont understand why--please provide a feel as to why this is so

Not worried yet, but getting there. Seems as if we are either writing off recruits as they choose other schools or that 'Cuse is not the favorite we thought we would be...as I go down the list of '13 recruits I dont feel overly posititve about any coming to 'Cuse---is this just me or others on the board also? If this is true, why is it happening?

A couple obervations - as our recruiting has been hitting new highs these past few years, we've seen more commitments come in late October rather than in the summer.

Next point, we have been really stacked for the past several years, and our classes are balancing out more, meaning we typically only have around 3 scholarships per class, rather than having a mega-class of 5 kids, followed by a couple smaller classes until the winners and losers shake out, kids transfer and then we repeat the big class. With fewer 'ships per class, we obviously have greater time between commitments.

Final point, we are drawing elite talent at a level we have not seen since the late 80s. Even the 2002 and 2003 classes were comprised of maybe 1 elite player, and the rest of the guys in the 30s to 50s ratings, with a big man rated in the 70s to 100. We are now gunning for the top center every class the past several years, along with elite talent at other positions. Those guys are more concerned about NBA auditions, not paying their dues in a program until it's their turn to shine. Those guys take their time - even waiting until spring to see who has declared for the NBA after a great NCAA tournament run.

So we have to get used to waiting longer to get the quality of guys we are competing for.

Probably the most important thing to happen to our program is Dion Waiters making the draft lottery after being a bench player. We've never had that before; that has only happened with teams like North Carolina coming off a championship.

What that does is allow us to honestly say to a player, "Look, it's all about how well you play, not whether you start. Just look at Dion; he was famous for NOT starting, and wound up in the lottery. That can happen to you, too."

Dion's scenario played out just about perfect for our future recruiting, allowing us to stockpile quality players a bit more than we might otherwise be able to.

I would think that another guard capable of handing point duties would be a must get for 2013. Obviously, we lose Triche after this season. If MCW has the year that some have predicted for him we could lose him as well. That would leave us with just Ennis and Cooney as true guards with Gbinje in support, if he is in fact a ball handling guard. I would think that would put us in a weaker position at the guard next year, then we are this year and this year's depth chart already has some people very nervous.

Emergency PG duties will be handled by a walk-on. JB is grooming 2 new ones this year. They will play.

We only have one freshmen in 2013 so far Ennis.
We will have only 2 sophmores in 2013 Grant and Dajaun(who will probably leave early at that.

That is a total of 3 sophmore and freshmen so far going into 2013 for a team like Syracuse.
And Gbinije, MCW, Rak, Dajuan, Fair are all knocking at the NBA to possibly leave early.

Recruits especially ones that could see themselves playing atleast 2 years should be dying to come in.
Some top player is going to come to their senses and realize this soon enough even if they have to sit out a year.

A team like Syracuse doesn't grab just 3 players in 2 years leaving a upperclassmen and experience gap in the future by choice. Imagine if one of them jumps to the NBA early (Dajuan) that would leave only 2 Jr/Seniors on the team. Thats not going ot happen.

Dude, we're not close to being done yet. Early signing period isn't for about 6 weeks. If we hit Nov 1 with no new commitments, then is the time to post this note.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom