55 of top 100 on ESPN have commited | Syracusefan.com

55 of top 100 on ESPN have commited

arbitragegls

All Conference
..and of course we have Ennis as a PG...but it seems to me the process for Syracuse is taking quite long with not many visits and no one coming out and proclaiming 'Cuse as #1...I was expecting and maybe wrongly so that our elite camp would result in one or two strong leans...so questions:

1. What are the needs/want positions filled in class of 2013
2. How many recruits do we want out of this class
3. We have earmarked very good players but do not see any of them jumping to 'Cuse---find that intereting and dont understand why--please provide a feel as to why this is so

Not worried yet, but getting there. Seems as if we are either writing off recruits as they choose other schools or that 'Cuse is not the favorite we thought we would be...as I go down the list of '13 recruits I dont feel overly posititve about any coming to 'Cuse---is this just me or others on the board also? If this is true, why is it happening?

Ditto... You would think that we would have more commitments by now and that we would get at least one of the top players in the class with the manner in which Syracuse has played for the past several seasons.

I'm sure that Jimmy B. and his staff have everything well in hand but it's disappointing to see a plethora of players mentioned leading up to each season only to see those who were mentioned as possible future Syracuse players deciding to go to other programs. I recall that Dion made a verbal to Syracuse by the time he was a freshman in high school. Now it seems like it comes down to the 11th hour, 59th minute and 59th second.

Relax, it's like this every year. Kids need time to sort the options out and make the necessary visits. If we were hearing about Plan B options, that would be cause for concern.

I'm not sure why you are worried. The cupboard is full. A point guard was the only true need of this class and we filled that need. Often times when the cupboard is full its harder to pull in recruits, that is the beginning and end of this story.

If players leave early we will make a late run at some big time recruits. If nobody leaves early it may be a small class. Of those two options the second one may be the better.

I would like Syracuse to pick up a four year center to develop while Coleman stars, then be ready to take over when he leaves or be a four year back up if we get Dakari Johnson. I believe we will pick up a guy in this mold. It wont get many fans excited but it will fill a need on our roster.

Ideally, I would also like a forward who can hit shots from the outside to fill in the spot Southerland will be leaving. But with Fair and Grant already around, there wont be a ton of playing time and a player in this mold is more of a luxury than a need that may be better filled next year.

^good points...and first part of my post above was just that...what do we need and what do we want...we got Ennis, do we need and want anyone else for this class...your response answered this in a general way...like to hear from Francis et al

^good points...and first part of my post above was just that...what do we need and what do we want...we got Ennis, do we need and want anyone else for this class...your response answered this in a general way...like to hear from Francis et al

Pretty simple to answer.

What do we need? Nothing.

What do we want? As many top players as possible. Pretty much anything we get at this point is icing on the cake.

Here are a list of some top players who have an interest in Syracuse that Boeheim would not turn away:

Wayne Seldon
Tyler Roberson
Jermaine Lawrence
James Young

I would not expect the recruitment of any of these guys to be easy because there is not a lot of playing time available, but its not impossible that we end up with one or even two from this list. If someone on our team shows a likeliness to leave early than the possibility of us picking up one of these guys grows exponentially because we will have more playing time to give.

Staff is looking for a combo guard, forward, and big. Following names to look out for and the competition is below.

Guards
Wayne Selden(UF, OSU, KU, Mizzou)
Rysheed Jordan(Temple, Nova, Xavier, SJU, Maryland)
James Young(UK, MSU)

Forwards
Tyler Roberson(UK, KU, Rutgers, SH, South Carolina)
Jermaine Lawrence(UK, KU, Cincy, UNLV, UCLA)

Bigs
BeeJay Anya(Indiana, Pitt, NC St, OSU)
Chinonso Obokoh(Texas, Nova, Oregon)

Staff is looking for a combo guard, forward, and big. Following names to look out for and the competition is below.

Guards
James Young(UK, MSU)

Forwards

Bigs

Is Wainright out of the picture? Haven't heard his name in a while.

Guards
James Young(UK, MSU)

Forwards

Bigs

Francis, once again for your work and insight. Just seems that whenever the UK name pops up and it will from now on as 'Cuse goes after the very best, it gets later and later for the commit. So Lawrence and Roberson probably wont commit until KY makes a choice...and that just drags out...if neither come here than is there a back-up or do we move to 2014 for this position?

Guards
James Young(UK, MSU)

Forwards

Bigs

Isn't Kan Williams still in the mix?

I would think that another guard capable of handing point duties would be a must get for 2013. Obviously, we lose Triche after this season. If MCW has the year that some have predicted for him we could lose him as well. That would leave us with just Ennis and Cooney as true guards with Gbinje in support, if he is in fact a ball handling guard. I would think that would put us in a weaker position at the guard next year, then we are this year and this year's depth chart already has some people very nervous.

I would think that another guard capable of handing point duties would be a must get for 2013. Obviously, we lose Triche after this season. If MCW has the year that some have predicted for him we could lose him as well. That would leave us with just Ennis and Cooney as true guards with Gbinje in support, if he is in fact a ball handling guard. I would think that would put us in a weaker position at the guard next year, then we are this year and this year's depth chart already has some people very nervous.
Agreed! a second guard is a must! We can't go another year losing 2 guards and only picking up 1.

I'm not sure why you are worried. The cupboard is full. A point guard was the only true need of this class and we filled that need. Often times when the cupboard is full its harder to pull in recruits, that is the beginning and end of this story.

If players leave early we will make a late run at some big time recruits. If nobody leaves early it may be a small class. Of those two options the second one may be the better.

I would like Syracuse to pick up a four year center to develop while Coleman stars, then be ready to take over when he leaves or be a four year back up if we get Dakari Johnson. I believe we will pick up a guy in this mold. It wont get many fans excited but it will fill a need on our roster.

Ideally, I would also like a forward who can hit shots from the outside to fill in the spot Southerland will be leaving. But with Fair and Grant already around, there wont be a ton of playing time and a player in this mold is more of a luxury than a need that may be better filled next year.
I'm with the General on this one. The pressure is off after the big Ennis commitment. That was huge.

As pfister points out above I'm sure the staff would like another ball-handling pg. Rysheed Jordan would look really good in that role. Tough sell though. It might help SU if he waits on his decision. If MCW shows what many of us think, it should be easier to show RJ that minutes will be available soon.

I think SU would like another forward, to be the 3rd forward for a year and then assume CJs duties. I think they want a stud, and it looks like the staff would like/take either Lawrence or Roberson. And it looks like they may be waiting on their decisions.

Another center would be a complete luxury at this point. And the only person I see in this role would be Obokoh. Would be a great fit though. Would make this the best era of centers depthwise for SU ever, DC2, BMK, Obokoh, and if needed Rak. He would also provide the back story for SU to keep in the McD stud hunt for the 2 year guys - like D Johnson in '14.

To keep the Golden era train extended through '14, I think the priorities for the '13 class are:
1. stud forward. Roberson or Lawrence. It just helps keep nice spacing of excellent players.
2. guard. Another ball handler to cover the uncertainty of MCW's length of tenure.
3. backup center. Getting Obokoh would be a luxury but it would really help decrease the pressure on the 2 year reloading process involved with stud centers.

This has been bothering me for a long time, and I just need to get it our of my system:

TMIMITW arbitragebagels.jpg

..and of course we have Ennis as a PG...but it seems to me the process for Syracuse is taking quite long with not many visits and no one coming out and proclaiming 'Cuse as #1...I was expecting and maybe wrongly so that our elite camp would result in one or two strong leans...so questions:

1. What are the needs/want positions filled in class of 2013
2. How many recruits do we want out of this class
3. We have earmarked very good players but do not see any of them jumping to 'Cuse---find that intereting and dont understand why--please provide a feel as to why this is so

Not worried yet, but getting there. Seems as if we are either writing off recruits as they choose other schools or that 'Cuse is not the favorite we thought we would be...as I go down the list of '13 recruits I dont feel overly posititve about any coming to 'Cuse---is this just me or others on the board also? If this is true, why is it happening?
Mike Waters had Dave Telep (ESPN recruiting guru) on a podcast 2-3 weeks ago. Telep said that, at that point, this season is noted for late commitments--that a comparatively small percentage of top players had made their decisions.

My own deduction from this is that it may be the Kentucky effect. So many guys think that they are one-and-done, and obviously Calipari has shown success with that sort of situation. Thus, many big guns are waiting on the Wildcats, and throwing a monkey wrench into the whole process. I guess by my logic, we should hope that UK takes their guys ASAP so that everything else can move forward.

Francis, once again for your work and insight. Just seems that whenever the UK name pops up and it will from now on as 'Cuse goes after the very best, it gets later and later for the commit. So Lawrence and Roberson probably wont commit until KY makes a choice...and that just drags out...if neither come here than is there a back-up or do we move to 2014 for this position?
Roberson doesn't hold an official offer from Kentucky yet but they watched him workout last week. If he does get the offer, then I would be concern about him pushing things back till the spring. If we miss out on both, BJ Johnson from Philly was a name that I was told could be an option. Johnson attended the elite camp recently.

Isn't Kan Williams still in the mix?
The staff hasn't pursued him seriously as of late. Looks to be a Miami & OSU battle for his services at this point.

Francis, I know he is 2014, but have you heard Rashad Vaughn's name still connected to SU?

Roberson doesn't hold an official offer from Kentucky yet but they watched him workout last week. If he does get the offer, then I would be concern about him pushing things back till the spring. If we miss out on both, BJ Johnson from Philly was a name that I was told could be an option. Johnson attended the elite camp recently.
Cal will be in to visit tomorrow, will probably offer. Curious to see what would happen if Randle committed.

I'm not that worried. Our recruiting has been great. So good that we are regularly getting 5 star MickyD's and staying in the mix until very late on some of the top players in each class. We landed Ennis the PG we wanted which was also our biggest need.

We will have Ennis, Cooney, Mike G, CJ, Grant, Keita and at least one of DC2/Rak. Thats a very good group and MCW leaving is no guarantee but you can't count on him being back.
To me looking at that our #1 need is a combo guard.
After that its a toss up between a forward with a perimeter game and a back-up Center. And that may be determined by wether or not Mike G can play sizable minutes at the 3.

Looking at Francis list if we get any of those three guards either forward and Obokoh thats one hell of a recruiting class that covers everything we could possibly need. Even if we don't as long as we get a guy who can back up the PG spot we are in very good shape.

BTW: Is James Young more of a combo guard (1/2) or a wing (2/3)

I'm not that worried. Our recruiting has been great. So good that we are regularly getting 5 star MickyD's and staying in the mix until very late on some of the top players in each class. We landed Ennis the PG we wanted which was also our biggest need.

We will have Ennis, Cooney, Mike G, CJ, Grant, Keita and at least one of DC2/Rak. Thats a very good group and MCW leaving is no guarantee but you can't count on him being back.
To me looking at that our #1 need is a combo guard.
After that its a toss up between a forward with a perimeter game and a back-up Center. And that may be determined by wether or not Mike G can play sizable minutes at the 3.

Looking at Francis list if we get any of those three guards either forward and Obokoh thats one hell of a recruiting class that covers everything we could possibly need. Even if we don't as long as we get a guy who can back up the PG spot we are in very good shape.

BTW: Is James Young more of a combo guard (1/2) or a wing (2/3)
Just from the videos I have seen, Young looks like a wing, not a combo guard. Seldon looks like he could play a little point though.

Just from the videos I have seen, Young looks like a wing, not a combo guard. Seldon looks like he could play a little point though.

Thanks, thats what I thought but Francis had him listed with the guards.

Thanks, thats what I thought but Francis had him listed with the guards.
Yeah, I am no expert on his game, just my opinion from some highlights, as we all know how limited they can be.

Francis, I know he is 2014, but have you heard Rashad Vaughn's name still connected to SU?
Haven't heard anything new but with JB heading to the midwest to see James Young, I'll be curious to find out if Vaughn gets a visit or any contact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom