6.5 man rotation. | Syracusefan.com

6.5 man rotation.

Orangezoo

In the wind
Scares me. Not because I want jb to play the guys more but because its a reality. Our top 6 is damn good with two wooden watch guys but when we get plus 18 on an inferior opponent we need to keep that advantage and use it to benefit our bench.

If you aren't worried about winning games, it'd be very easy to work in a deeper bench. We could play Patterson and BJ 15 minutes per game and lose by 10. We'd plummet in the standings -- but hey -- at least we'd have "depth."

JB rightfully believes that 2-3 token minutes per game really aren't meaningful in terms of a players progression, so he just tightens up the rotation. He does this every year, and I generally agree with it.

Well if you think I disagree with JB you are missing my point. I agree we have limited depth and it is a little discouraging is all. Wish ron or bj were more ready and better ball handlers. At 19-0 we have done so with minimal room for errorm

I think JB wants to give Roberson some run, but he hasn't panned out when he has gotten time. Hopefully that will change in the next couple of weeks.

Robertson better snap out of it. When he is on the court he looks mad that he isn't getting enough run. I understand that he is frustrated, I thought he played pretty good defense. Also if you watched the last game he was one of the only ones sitting and giving a half clap on the bench. That's a sign of an unhappy camper.

Well if you think I disagree with JB you are missing my point. I agree we have limited depth and it is a little discouraging is all. Wish ron or bj were more ready and better ball handlers. At 19-0 we have done so with minimal room for errorm

I agree it's nice to have a good bench. However, you see these "our bench is short" posts every year. I think the bench players are probably fine, but JB goes with his best players. When Onuaku went down some people said they wished that DaShonte Riley had gotten some minutes to develop. I think it's clear now that a few minutes here and there would not have really made any difference. He rides his best players. I do think if Roberson played 25mpg everyone would think he is a very good player.

Roberson isnt ready as a decision maker just yet which will make it tough. He looks the part at times but still doesnt have a feel for which play to make. As for his attitude he needs to realize he isa key factor next year and if he goes beast mode he can get the time and recognition he wants.

There was a thread recently about Duke's platoon substitution system. Interestingly, during Duke's game today the commentators mentioned that Coach K stated he is not married to the system and isn't sure he's going to continue it. Then you read other coaches discuss all the timeouts and now the additional fouls that slow down the game, it's not necessary to have a ton of depth. I particularly took note today that even though CJ and Grant were both drenched with sweat, neither looked winded or grasping at shorts towards the end of the game. In fact, Grant's rebounding actually got stronger towards the end of the game.

I now see JB's point though, clear drop-off after the top 6. After seeing this game I doubt we see any substantial minutes from anyone other than the top 6 in the second half for some time now. SU was up big and when the subs came in the lead evaporated. And the next time we have a decent first half lead and the subs come in, they will be on a shorter leash.

There are only 12 more in-season games left + 2 tournies. And they all are lining up to be pretty big games.

We desperately need a blowout ACC win, to give Gbinije, Roberson and maybe even Patterson some quality minutes. I thought that today might be such a game, but no such luck.

Hopefully, it'll be against WF on Wednesday...watching their game now, and they don't look very impressive.

EDIT: yes, I know that we're 19-0, and JB is a HOFer, but if you think that playing with such a short rotation isn't dangerous, you're burying your head in the sand.

I agree it's nice to have a good bench. However, you see these "our bench is short" posts every year. I think the bench players are probably fine, but JB goes with his best players. When Onuaku went down some people said they wished that DaShonte Riley had gotten some minutes to develop. I think it's clear now that a few minutes here and there would not have really made any difference. He rides his best players. I do think if Roberson played 25mpg everyone would think he is a very good player.

No doubt and duke teams in the past won with really only 7 guys so its not chicken little as it shouldnt be at 19-0. With dc2 done for good it just shrinks our margin for error. Also with playing more methodically it hurts robersons effectiveness because of his decision making.

No doubt and duke teams in the past won with really only 7 guys so its not chicken little as it shouldnt be at 19-0. With dc2 done for good it just shrinks our margin for error. Also with playing more methodically it hurts robersons effectiveness because of his decision making.

It's hard to come in cold and know you only have a handful of minutes to make an impression. It's not really our margin for error. I think it's more our ability to overcome injuries.

It's hard to come in cold and know you only have a handful of minutes to make an impression. It's not really our margin for error. I think it's more our ability to overcome injuries.

Really margin for error speaks to foul trouble which has been a non issue so far. We have the ultimate tempo guy in tyler who forces teams to play his pace so fatigue issues are limited.

Really margin for error speaks to foul trouble which has been a non issue so far. We have the ultimate tempo guy in tyler who forces teams to play his pace so fatigue issues are limited.
True. That too.

I feel like depth is so overrated. If we get an injury, we might be in trouble, but otherwise, not really worried. UK won the title in 2012 with basically a 6 man rotation.

True.. and we are due for an all healthy no off court issue run for once. Dc2 injury counts as the injury.. so move on from there.

When Grant was forced to play last year (because of Southerland) I feel that has helped in his development tremendously. This is Robertson's opportunity to make the best of his sparred playing time and play hard. Mentally he just isn't there yet, but I think he will have a great career here. One mistake I feel was made was not redshirting BJ Johnson. Patterson is debatable, but I think he should absolutely get some run at the guard spot. Especially when we have an 18 point lead. But Boeheim sees what we don't see and that's why he has 9 billion wins and why I have a beer in my hand and watching at home.

with only 1 shooter .. johnson is our emergency backup. That is where I could see the logic of not red shirting him.

When the rotation is smaller it feels like it will be a harder road. We played two games in two weeks. These guys are in great shape and with all the timeouts...it really should give them enough rest to get back out there.

I agree with you, but today is a good example of the other side of the issue. JB did put Roberson in when we had a very comfortable lead and our play immediately went south to the point that Miami eventually took the lead. SU didn't have a comfortable lead again until the end of the game. I certainly don't blame all of this on Roberson, but the coincidence can't be overlooked. I'm beginning to understand that if the bench player adversely changes the nature of the game, we don't automatically go back to how it was after his development time is over.

Scares me. Not because I want jb to play the guys more but because its a reality. Our top 6 is damn good with two wooden watch guys but when we get plus 18 on an inferior opponent we need to keep that advantage and use it to benefit our bench.

Going back to the main point.. I love this team and we have the best 5 in the country starting in my opinion. That said it is nerve wrecking knowing we have to play foul free and injury free hoops every game or that dominance could fade quickly. Some of that is being spoiled with having a 6th man and deep bench in recent years I guess but it still trims a few days off my life watching this team. Wish we could play duke, pitt , uva and then be at tourney time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom