6 player rotation? | Syracusefan.com

6 player rotation?

SUintheVille

Former 'Blue Light Special' Announcer
Only 6 played in 2nd half. Back to JB's standard. With a fast pace 2nd half, a couple minute blow for the back court might have helped. Also, maybe it's already mentioned on this board, but why did BJ ride the pine all night?

Only 6 played in 2nd half. Back to JB's standard. With a fast pace 2nd half, a couple minute blow for the back court might have helped. Also, maybe it's already mentioned on this board, but why did BJ ride the pine all night?

Those guys haven't played before, and JB doesn't have confidence in them. The tune up portion of the schedule is going to be big for BJ, Patterson, and Roberson.

Yep it's going to be a 6 man team. These guys' legs will be gone 2 weeks before the ACC tourney. Hope the trainers have ordered an oxygen tent -- our guys will probably need it.

The three "sons" have to produce something if we are going to have a successful year. It's clear that right now they are behind five other guys. They need to produce when they are on the court for us to be successful. We need production out of them.

My guess is that JB decided he needed to win this game, so he went back to what he knows best. :noidea:

I've seen enough to know Christmas, Cooney, cmac, Joseph and gbinije are going to log the majority of the minutes this year. We still need production out of the other guys.

As wins will not come as easy this year in terms of non-conference, you can bet that JB will shorten the bench. It's how he rolls. Buss and BJ will have their opportunities in the next two games to try and prove themselves, if we get out to early leads (which we should), but I don't think they will get much action @Michigan after that.

It's just how JB rolls.

Cheers,
Neil

How the heck are players suppose to improve without playing time. This team isn't a NC contender this year which is fine but develop the players you have as much as you can for the future.

I get JB tightening the bench when the team is trying to win that year but this team needs to develop the talent we have. I understand JB not wanting to go 0-2 in these upcoming games and was trying to salvage confidence but in these games we should be giving all 8 guys a chance to develop.

I was really hoping for BJ to emerge this year. I really think we are that bad offensively that we need him on the floor, despite his defensive weaknesses. I just think it destroys the confidence of these kids getting DNP coaches decision this early in the season, especially after coming out hot the first game. It's not like the guys on the floor are heads and shoulder better.

Boeheim sees what is obvious to anyone who has watched the last two games. He has 5 solid guys who happened to end the game, then things drop off. The second group (Patterson, Johnson, Obokoh, and Roberson) have to step up if we are going to have a successful year. I think to varying degrees they will.

How the heck are players suppose to improve without playing time. This team isn't a NC contender this year which is fine but develop the players you have as much as you can for the future.

I get JB tightening the bench when the team is trying to win that year but this team needs to develop the talent we have. I understand JB not wanting to go 0-2 in these games and was trying to salvage confidence but in these games we should be giving all 8 guys a chance to develop.
I agree. Having lived in other cities for many years, most think Jimmy has underachieved for the most part. All the talent, all the high seeds and lofty rankings and just one title. Numerous coaches have more. Stubborn to a fault, Jim will never stray from his plan. We should 100% be giving all 8 guys minutes. It isn't like we have dion waiters or MCW at guard. We have a frosh PG and a poor shooting SG.

How is McCullough going to survive as a frosh playing 37 minutes a game? He's a stud no doubt... but he's a kid.

KJ2,CMac,Roberson,BJ,Buss need to see the court a lot before ACC play begins. Hell, throw that lineup out there for chunks at a time to get those boys rolling. Cooney, Rak, and G need some rest before ACC. KJ2 needs to find himself.

I agree. Having lived in other cities for many years, most think Jimmy has underachieved for the most part. All the talent, all the high seeds and lofty rankings and just one title. Numerous coaches have more. Stubborn to a fault, Jim will never stray from his plan. We should 100% be giving all 8 guys minutes. It isn't like we have dion waiters or MCW at guard. We have a frosh PG and a poor shooting SG.

How is McCullough going to survive as a frosh playing 37 minutes a game? He's a stud no doubt... but he's a kid.
other people in other cities can think what they want. JB has won 3/4 of the games he has coached. This isn't his first rodeo.

If JB wants to shorten the bench come January, fine, whatever. But shortening the bench now is suicide and will ensure that this team doesn't make it all the way. We've seen way better teams in the past collapse down the stretch with this kind of short bench. It's ludicrous.

BJ, Buss and Roberson better get some run. We don't have energizers Jonny Flynn and Paul Harris out there.

These kids got noticeably exhausted last year, and the same will happen this year.

I'm sure Patterson could have jacked up 3-4 more ill-advised 3 pointers if given the opportunity.

He might have even hit the rim on one of them.
And still have shot better from outside than anyone else.....

Those guys haven't played before, and JB doesn't have confidence in them. The tune up portion of the schedule is going to be big for BJ, Patterson, and Roberson.
We said this last year too. His ridiculously short rotations are getting annoying.

If JB wants to shorten the bench come January, fine, whatever. But shortening the bench now is suicide and will ensure that this team doesn't make it all the way. We've seen way better teams in the past collapse down the stretch with this kind of short bench. It's ludicrous.

McCullough played 39 minutes tonight. Christmas played 33. They were our leading scorers tonight.

Gbinije played 31 minutes and got 7 rebounds and 2 steals.

And we needed every point and rebound tonight.

15 minutes of BJ and Chino means someone else has to sit for 15 minutes.

Do you think that would have been a good idea tonight?

Or do you want to have the best developed bench in the NIT?

McCullough played 39 minutes tonight. Christmas played 33. They were our leading scorers tonight.

Gbinije played 31 minutes and got 7 rebounds and 2 steals.

And we needed every point and rebound tonight.

15 minutes of BJ and Chino means someone else has to sit for 15 minutes.

Do you think that would have been a good idea tonight?

Or do you want to have the best developed bench in the NIT?

If we're going to play the hindsight game, when we had that 12 point lead we could have just played those guys at that point and likely not have it make any difference since we choked that lead away.

This is going to sound pretty spiteful, but if we require 39 and 33 from McCullough and Christmas against teams like Colgate, then yeah, we may as well develop our bench for the NIT because we're not going anywhere else. If you think we can get through the year with Chinso getting no run and simply getting thrown into tight games when Rak and/or McCullough inevitably foul out, be my guest. If you think a 6 man rotation from now until March is going to work, and this team won't lay down and die in February, be my guest. It's clearly an either/or situation. Oh wait, no it's not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom