#6 Syracuse at Texas, 1993 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

#6 Syracuse at Texas, 1993

We were preseason #5 in the AP poll and SI had us as preseason #1. First two wins of the year we looked sloppy. This game killed the dream season.

Two years later SU played in the NCAA tourney in Austin (the infamous Moten TO game vs Arkansas). I went with the Sour Sitrus Society. A few of us walked into the stadium on the off day and found the spot where O'Neil missed that kick and took a picture to commemorate the misery. Who knew 24 hours later we'd feel even worse.

More importantly, Playboy had us ranked #1.

College football is so much better now than it was way back when.

No playoff, ties, rock hard astroturf. No thank you.

But less LBI's and UBI's. But the UBI's may just be less "diagnosed UBI's"

Man, terry richardson was WIDE OPEN and Graves just missed him with 1 min to go.

Harrison dropped a 3rd and 10 with 3 min to go

the 2 missed FG's.
Loved Pat Oneal when I was a kid. Seemed like a perfect name for a punter, but wish we had john biskup for 1993.

I remember this gameday. i was 8 and the syracuse radios were playing achy breaky heart and I thought it was the oddest thing. Seemed like the whole town was talking about the game. And then 21-21 was a HUGE let down. I'll never forget feeling so empty.
all P's fault...

I watched it at a sports bar in Charlotte, NC. I remember thinking the entire game that we looked sluggish. It was a very disappointing game, to be sure.

Played 5 home games that year, 6 on the road. And nary a Colgate, Northeastern, Fordham, etc...

I was there more on the game later

Ok...I ordered tix through SU for that game. I think they were about $15 each. I was stationed in San Antonio at the time. I brought two USAF buddies (Iowa Fan and WVU Fan) along with my Dad. It was late September...it was 94 degrees that day and being the visitors we sat in the sun. I think the heat got to the team in the 2nd half. The FG kick was brutal to watch...no way we should have lost. Too conservative in the 2nd half...sigh. Memorial Stadium back then only sat about 65-70k...there was probably 60-65k there that day. I doubt we had 250 fans...but back in the early 90's Cuse fans didn't wear Orange. Times have changed.

The best part was we had a handicap pass (my Dad) and we literally parked about 75 yards from the stadium for free. It was my first ever tailgate...as we grilled by the car. The UT fans thought they were going to lose...that was how bad a hire Mackovic Sp? was...times have changed.

Been waiting to see you post... never realized you edited.

Texas is on the verge of running off 1 of the best coaches in football. They better hope they wisen up.

How did we not win this game? 2 to 1 total yards, won turnover battle, won time of possession, ran almost 30 more plays. OK, gave up a punt return, but still?

This was back in the day before the Internet, and as an out of town fan in Cincinnati at the time, ABC had regional games, and I'm sure some Big Ten game was the option. With no radio, you just waited for the scores.

First time I've seen any video of this one. An early Coach P era What result for sure.

Here's to better times ahead.

I love this.

After all of the bad and meaningless football we have seen in the last number of years we get a slam against the HC over a tie against Texas - at Texas - when our team had just come off a Fiesta Bowl win.

If I remember correctly the DL was very small and got pushed around a lot. Mitchell was an impact player but that D was just very poor.

SmilinBob said:
If I remember correctly the DL was very small and got pushed around a lot. Mitchell was an impact player but that D was just very poor.

LBs were the issue. Mitchell was recruited as a LB but moved to NT (which worked well). Conley got hurt. We had nothing else at LB. The gaps in years weren't planned well.

That was the year that WVU ran for 7,000 yards against us in the Dome.

1993 and 94 were frustrating, but McNabb and Konrad came along and saved everything for 4 years.

The good thing about those days was that we had 6 wins just by waking up on gameday. 3 in conference, 3 non conference.

LBs were the issue. Mitchell was recruited as a LB but moved to NT (which worked well). Conley got hurt. We had nothing else at LB. The gaps in years weren't planned well.

1993 and 94 were frustrating, but McNabb and Konrad came along and saved everything for 4 years.

The good thing about those days was that we had 6 wins just by waking up on gameday. 3 in conference, 3 non conference.

LB may have struggled but the DL was vacant for 2 years. Mitchell though quick was very undersized as you said.

We'd have owned St. Pete if that bowl was around then.

It's very strange that we didn't make a bowl game in 1994 going 7-4 -- but I guess 20 years ago it was actually an accomplishment to make a bowl game.

It's very strange that we didn't make a bowl game in 1994 going 7-4 -- but I guess 20 years ago it was actually an accomplishment to make a bowl game.

Yep, not all the tie ins, and obviously not the volume. So how you finished mattered. We finished terribly, 1-3, offense literally fell apart. 6 points in those 3 losses. No 2nd half points in the last 4 games. 2 shutouts. No one wanted us.

I remember Mason running for his life that season and became shell shocked and tucked and ran too early at times.

Yep, not all the tie ins, and obviously not the volume. So how you finished mattered. We finished terribly, 1-3, offense literally fell apart. 6 points in those 3 losses. No 2nd half points in the last 4 games. 2 shutouts. No one wanted us.

Bring back those terrible days!

Bring back those terrible days!

Bring back those terrible opponents, not getting shutout twice in a year.

Life was more fun when Rutgers, Temple and Pitt did nothing more than cash checks (actually I'm not sure they even cashed them).

Chip said:

Is that the year I went to the game at WVU and we lost something like 19-0?

rrlbees said:

BC crushed us 31-0.

Two weeks later, WVU beat us 13-0 in our finale.

For me that was a low point in SU football, until life harshly taught me what a low point in SU football really meant.

Hated both of those schools so much at that time, which made 1995 so great.

And you survived?

Well actually you're too big for most to F with...

BC crushed us 31-0.

Two weeks later, WVU beat us 13-0 in our finale.

For me that was a low point in SU football, until life harshly taught me what a low point in SU football really meant.

Hated both of those schools so much at that time, which made 1995 so great.

VT 62-0 sez hi!

Then GRob happened...when we get better (and we will under Dino) we'll be the least arrogant fanbase ever...it has been all knocked out of us.