#6 Syracuse at Texas, 1993 | Syracusefan.com

#6 Syracuse at Texas, 1993

Eric15

Living Legend
I found this game on YouTube. A few random thoughts:

-The idea that we were the big bad Top 10 team going down to play Texas, and their fans were elated at tying us is almost incomprehensible now.

-Go to the 2:53 mark -- the distance between the field and the endzone seats are pretty much longest I've ever seen in my life.

-Our uniforms: awesome. Simple, classy, traditional.

ugh that game sucked. I cant believe we didnt get the ball right in the center of the field.

Those unis did rock

-The idea that we were the big bad Top 10 team going down to play Texas, and their fans were elated at tying us is almost incomprehensible now.

-Go to the 2:53 mark -- the distance between the field and the endzone seats are pretty much longest I've ever seen in my life.

Man, terry richardson was WIDE OPEN and Graves just missed him with 1 min to go.

Harrison dropped a 3rd and 10 with 3 min to go

the 2 missed FG's. Loved Pat Oneal when I was a kid. Seemed like a perfect name for a punter, but wish we had john biskup for 1993.

I remember this gameday. i was 8 and the syracuse radios were playing achy breaky heart and I thought it was the oddest thing. Seemed like the whole town was talking about the game. And then 21-21 was a HUGE let down. I'll never forget feeling so empty.

Was this the game the stands collapsed or was that the one in Syracuse?

The team looks like Syracuse. I hope Dino realizes the significance of a traditional look.

The team looks like Syracuse. I hope Dino realizes the significance of a traditional look.

Are you talking about the student section? That was in the dome.

I remember this game very well. In fact I was in Austin at the game. The game time was changed from a 7pm start to a 2:30 or 3:30 afternoon start. The gametime temperature was a record 97 degrees and being on the visiting sun side of the field with the SU team, I could tell that our players were already a little fatigued after the first series of two in the first quarter due to be heat that most of the players had no conditioning for. Yet, the Longhorns practiced in 100 + degrees of heat as usual until the season started. The missed opportunities were quite disappointing but we were easily the better team on the field who had to beat the sun and Texas that day and could not quite pull it off. The Texas players are in the shade during game days and it is a significant advantage, especially against a northern acclimated team like Syracuse.

Last edited:
Are you talking about the student section? That was in the dome.

Yes. We had two great home and homes vs Texas and Oklahoma in the early/mid 90s. All 4 games were unbelievable...unfortunately we were only 1-2-1 i think in them.

That was in the Dome when the railing collapsed. And we hosted Ohio State (and got beat down unfortunately) the next week. Think about that. We played two Goliaths in as many weeks. Unheard of. Rutgers has not played anyone that good since they lost to Lafayette in 1869.

I forgot how short that potential winning FG was, and yes, we should have gotten it to the center of the field. painful!

I was there more on the game later

Ok...I ordered tix through SU for that game. I think they were about $15 each. I was stationed in San Antonio at the time. I brought two USAF buddies (Iowa Fan and WVU Fan) along with my Dad. It was late September...it was 94 degrees that day and being the visitors we sat in the sun. I think the heat got to the team in the 2nd half. The FG kick was brutal to watch...no way we should have lost. Too conservative in the 2nd half...sigh. Memorial Stadium back then only sat about 65-70k...there was probably 60-65k there that day. I doubt we had 250 fans...but back in the early 90's Cuse fans didn't wear Orange. Times have changed.

The best part was we had a handicap pass (my Dad) and we literally parked about 75 yards from the stadium for free. It was my first ever tailgate...as we grilled by the car. The UT fans thought they were going to lose...that was how bad a hire Mackovic Sp? was...times have changed.

Last edited:
I was there more on the game later

Ok...I ordered tix through SU for that game. I think they were about $15 each. I was stationed in San Antonio at the time. I brought two USAF buddies (Iowa Fan and WVU Fan) along with my Dad. It was late September...it was 94 degrees that day and being the visitors we sat in the sun. I think the heat got to the team in the 2nd half. The FG kick was brutal to watch...no way we should have lost. Too conservative in the 2nd half...sigh. Memorial Stadium back then only sat about 65k...there was probably 55k there that day. I doubt we had 250 fans...but back in the early 90's Cuse fans didn't wear Orange. Times have changed.

The best part was we had a handicap pass (my Dad) and we literally parked about 75 yards from the stadium for free. It was my first ever tailgate...as we grilled by the car. The UT fans thought they were going to lose...that was how bad a hire Mackovic Sp? was...times have changed.
I was at Fort Sam in 1968 ,Stay away from Hot Lone Star Beer, Mackovitz really bad mouthed Syracuse after SU beat Texas in the Dome

Yes. We had two great home and homes vs Texas and Oklahoma in the early/mid 90s. All 4 games were unbelievable...unfortunately we were only 1-2-1 i think in them.

Our two losses to Oklahoma were by a combined 3 points.

How did we not win this game? 2 to 1 total yards, won turnover battle, won time of possession, ran almost 30 more plays. OK, gave up a punt return, but still?

This was back in the day before the Internet, and as an out of town fan in Cincinnati at the time, ABC had regional games, and I'm sure some Big Ten game was the option. With no radio, you just waited for the scores.

First time I've seen any video of this one. An early Coach P era What result for sure.

Here's to better times ahead.

CuyahogaCuse said:
How did we not win this game? 2 to 1 total yards, won turnover battle, won time of possession, ran almost 30 more plays. OK, gave up a punt return, but still? This was back in the day before the Internet, and as an out of town fan in Cincinnati at the time, ABC had regional games, and I'm sure some Big Ten game was the option. With no radio, you just waited for the scores. First time I've seen any video of this one. An early Coach P era What result for sure. Here's to better times ahead.

I used to call a local information number that updated top 25 scores every hour.

We were preseason #5 in the AP poll and SI had us as preseason #1. First two wins of the year we looked sloppy. This game killed the dream season.

Two years later SU played in the NCAA tourney in Austin (the infamous Moten TO game vs Arkansas). I went with the Sour Sitrus Society. A few of us walked into the stadium on the off day and found the spot where O'Neil missed that kick and took a picture to commemorate the misery. Who knew 24 hours later we'd feel even worse.

I was working at TGI Fridays in Hackensack, NJ back then.

As I couldn't get out of my shift that day, I taped the Texas game with the intention of watching it after work.

Right at the end of my shift, I saw the final score on one of the bar's TVs and was devastated.

I drove home furious, walked in my house, went to my VCR, ejected the tape and immediately threw it in the trash - not even bothering to watch the game or record over it.

I am remembering now that I was visiting my friend in Pittsburgh that weekend. We saw Depeche Mode on Friday night at the Civic Arena. The next day we watched Ohio State destroy Pitt. I think Curtis Martin had ten rushing yards in that game.

College football is so much better now than it was way back when.

No playoff, ties, rock hard astroturf. No thank you.