7th best year since Ben S | Syracusefan.com

7th best year since Ben S

Millhouse

Living Legend
Syracuse Orange Football Record By Year | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Better than

A lot better than

The SRS is a schedule adjusted measure of how much better than average your team is

This team was
9 pts better than 2013
6 pts better than 2012
11 pts better than 2010
12 pts better than 2004
2 pts worse than 2001
1 pt better than 1998
6 pts better than 1997
5 pts worse than 1996
tied with 1995 (slightly better, rounding to tie)
1 pt worse than 1992
2 pts worse than 1991
3 pts worse than 1988
5 pts worse than 1987
12 pts worse than 1958

Better than all of Marrone's teams by a good margin

Overall this team was a TD better than other SU teams (the average of the difference between this year's SRS and all the other year's SRSs)

I think by season's end, 1995 was one of our 5 best teams in the Dome era.

1987, 1992, then throw 1988, 1991, 1995 in a hat and pick. One healthy player (Abrams) from winning that Miami regular season finale. And what we did to Clemson in the Gator Bowl was nearly criminal.

It's amazing how much the w t losses hurt the 95-98 teams. I have a hard time believing this team beats 1997 in a head to head match up.
here's a crazy stat

combined passes and rushes per game
47 dungey
31 mcnabb

it was a different era and mcnabb would've been hospitalized for bulimia but it sure would be fun to know what he would do in today's offenses (not criticizing deleone for not being decades ahead of his time)

I think by season's end, 1995 was one of our 5 best teams in the Dome era.

1987, 1992, then throw 1988, 1991, 1995 in a hat and pick. One healthy player (Abrams) from winning that Miami regular season finale. And what we did to Clemson in the Gator Bowl was nearly criminal.
1995 and 2018 are basically the same SRS, same strength of schedule, same number of losses

but yeah, the rosters, there's not much comparison

marvin harrison might win a heisman playing for babers, even at his advanced age now

It's amazing how much the w t losses hurt the 95-98 teams. I have a hard time believing this team beats 1997 in a head to head match up.

Or 1998 in my opinion. As inconsistent as that team could be, I think they were better than this year's squad, and obviously I like the 2018 edition a lot.

Or 1998 in my opinion. As inconsistent as that team could be, I think they were better than this year's squad, and obviously I like the 2018 edition a lot.
I don't disagree. I prefer 1997 because the defense was significantly better than 1998 with the offense only being a little worse. Tebucky Jones and Donovan Darius were sick.

here's a crazy stat

combined passes and rushes per game
47 dungey
31 mcnabb

it was a different era and mcnabb would've been hospitalized for bulimia but it sure would be fun to know what he would do in today's offenses (not criticizing deleone for not being decades ahead of his time)
And then Konrad running the read option with him instead of the fullback dive.

Syracuse Orange Football Record By Year | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Better than

A lot better than

The SRS is a schedule adjusted measure of how much better than average your team is

This team was
9 pts better than 2013
6 pts better than 2012
11 pts better than 2010
12 pts better than 2004
2 pts worse than 2001
1 pt better than 1998
6 pts better than 1997
5 pts worse than 1996
tied with 1995 (slightly better, rounding to tie)
1 pt worse than 1992
2 pts worse than 1991
3 pts worse than 1988
5 pts worse than 1987
12 pts worse than 1958

Better than all of Marrone's teams by a good margin

Overall this team was a TD better than other SU teams (the average of the difference between this year's SRS and all the other year's SRSs)
Every time I read one of your posts here’s how I envision you and your daily routine:

I feel like this team would beat 01. Freeney would be a disruptive force, but ultimately think 2018 would outscore the 2001.

I feel like this team would beat 01. Freeney would be a disruptive force, but ultimately think 2018 would outscore the 2001.
Would this team force any interceptions against that team?

That was the reason P+D had to go. Konrad should have been the feature back. Mac had Drummond, Johnston, and Owens, and used all 3 to run and catch.

Eh rob wasn’t a great runner - but he was an elite blocker.

That was the reason P+D had to go. Konrad should have been the feature back. Mac had Drummond, Johnston, and Owens, and used all 3 to run and catch.

Yeah, not so much. As Franco says, Rob wasn't good enough to be a feature back. Good blocker, good catching a ball out of the backfield. His feature-back days were in high school.

Yeah, not so much. As Franco says, Rob wasn't good enough to be a feature back. Good blocker, good catching a ball out of the backfield. His feature-back days were in high school.
This. Konrad had a bit of Strickland in him. It was a bit frustrating to see him go down so easily at his size. Maybe a case can be made that he should’ve had a look at tight end.

5 points worse than 1987?

Uh, the inside zone play in the A gap is the KEY component to this offense. Running between the guards IS what the TB's do. How is that ANY different than running the fullback inside? A called running play outside the Tackles for the TB's was a rarity this year.

And Konrad was getting the ball outside on the option at times.

Wait so should Konrad have been the feature back or one of the top three backs?

You do realize that it was Deleone that was running the offense in 87, right?

Rob was 2nd or 3rd in yards and touches three of his four years, the one year he wasn't, 97, he was injured much of the year and Deleone was in San Diego and was still 4th in combined rushes and receptions.

its one thing to go down on contact its another to just get hand/arm tackled as you go thru a huge hole. Strickland is an interesting case, you can find many examples of him running hard and thru a one on one tackle,but also so many where he couldnt get past some glancing tackles.

Uh, the inside zone play in the A gap is the KEY component to this offense. Running between the guards IS what the TB's do. How is that ANY different than running the fullback inside? A called running play outside the Tackles for the TB's was a rarity this year.

And Konrad was getting the ball outside on the option at times.
The design of our current offense with many of the formations we run puts fewer bodies in the box versus what we ran back then. Also, traditionally where the FB lines up closer to the LOS he had less room to build momentum and read holes than where our RBs line up now. And a fair number of our runs come off the zone read where if the the qb reads it correctly the RB should have more room. The way we often ran Konrad was as a change up to keep the LBs honest so that wouldn't cheat to the perimeter against the QB or HB parts of the triple option. He didn't get on the outside all of the time. They did it with him occasionally. If it was all the time, he would not have been third in carries every year of his career.

Do you honestly think he would not have more space to run in this offense than he did running as a traditional FB?

Anytime you interpret something as a criticism of P or D from that era, something I wasn't doing, you can't help yourself from jumping to defend them. I was only talking about the design of offenses from different eras and how certain players may have benefited from it.

Eh rob wasn’t a great runner - but he was an elite blocker.
I think that was a function of how he was used. He wasn't given the opportunity to develop this skills. On the occasion he broke into the secondary he ran away from DBs. I think he could have developed better skills/instincts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom