8 fouls on marquette huh? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

8 fouls on marquette huh?

This is a scrub team we lost too. They cant score and feast at the line. They did tonight and it was the only way they could win. We outshot them from the field too.

You watch 16 hours of hoops a day and this is a scrub team? Name EVERY non-scrub team, just so I know for future reference.

This is a game I felt we had almost te whole way...MCW lost the game for,his,poor decision making down the stretch.
nah it was a group effort in losing it down the stretch, with our esteemed guards leading the way

You watch 16 hours of hoops a day and this is a scrub team? Name EVERY non-scrub team, just so I know for future reference.

Dude this team is MASSIVELY offensively challenged and the ONLY chance they had tonight is to win it at the line. Which they did. And we still almost won the game. This is Buzz's worst team he has had in 5 years.

nah it was a group effort in losing it down the stretch, with our esteemed guards leading the way

Yep...when everything is jumpers it is hard to draw fouls.

Dude this team is MASSIVELY offensively challenged and the ONLY chance they had tonight is to win it at the line. Which they did. And we still almost won the game. This is Buzz's worst team he has had in 5 years.

Agreed, but this is OUR worst offensive team in 5 years. We don't get anything at the rim. Hard to draw fouls.

I cant wait to get out of this godamn clutch and grab conference. This is pathetic.

Clutch & grab is what wins in cbb these days. We don't need to get away from it we need to adopt it.

Agreed, but this is OUR worst offensive team in 5 years. We don't get anything at the rim. Hard to draw fouls.

Im not complaining that we didnt get any calls. I'm complaining because they got EVERY call. Gardner plows into Keita, no call. James traps perfectly and they call a phantom foul on him. I mean I could name 10 more.

The refs didn't lose it for us but to say that had nothing to do with it is beyond ridiculous. Just looking at the ft discrepancy will tell you that. And Gardner on 1 of his rebound and put backs had his fat arm on all over James and just shved him out of the way to get the board. Sure he did that on most of those

Again we shoot jumpers and they were benefiting from Gardner and our lazy bigs. A couple plays we probably had our arms straight up but still...we are not getting the rebounds and shooting long jumpers. We aren't gonna get to the FT line that way, duh.

Nobody said it was Loyola Marymount, but its also disingenuous to say it was their only way to win. Sure, they are/were a good FT shooting team coming into the game, but how do you know what would have happened if the possessions played out?

The biggest problem today, defensively, was nothing shocking. As Raft and Bilas pointed out, we recruit bean poles to play in the zone. People with "wide bases" eat us up. Gardner is one of those and he killed us.

This is a scrub team we lost too. They cant score and feast at the line. They did tonight and it was the only way they could win. We outshot them from the field too.

Marq did EXACTLY what they needed to do to beat SU - pound it inside and power up to create fouls. And there is no mistaking the facts that: 1.they executed that game plan; 2. once they got to the foul line, they did not miss.

What I don't understand is why we guarded the perimeter so actively with the forwards. This was the team to pack it inside, deny low post enteries, and double down with the wings.

Im not complaining that we didnt get any calls. I'm complaining because they got EVERY call. Gardner plows into Keita, no call. James traps perfectly and they call a phantom foul on him. I mean I could name 10 more.

Those two maybe. Maybe one more but not 10. If we rebounded lots of those situations wouldn't have come up.

Nobody said it was Loyola Marymount, but its also disingenuous to say it was their only way to win. Sure, they are/were a good FT shooting team coming into the game, but how do you know what would have happened if the possessions played out?

The biggest problem today, defensively, was nothing shocking. As Raft and Bilas pointed out, we recruit bean poles to play in the zone. People with "wide bases" eat us up. Gardner is one of those and he killed us.

It was their only way to win. Here is what I posted in a scouting report before the game.

Marquette’s offense is extremely dependent on getting to the free throw line a lot. When they don’t get to the line, they struggle to score and lose (see losses to Nova and Florida). When they flourish offensively, they got fouled a lot because they all shoot it well from the line (see big win vs. Pitt this year and also when they beat us in the past). So the officials will play a big role! We gotta keep them off the line.

Clutch & grab is what wins in cbb these days. We don't need to get away from it we need to adopt it.

I didn't see that. I didn't think their D was even that good. Our flaws just keep manifesting into more problems.

Marq did EXACTLY what they needed to do to beat SU - pound it inside and power up to create fouls. And there is no mistaking the facts that: 1.they executed that game plan; 2. once they got to the foul line, they did not miss.

What I don't understand is why we guarded the perimeter so actively with the forwards. This was the team to pack it inside, deny low post enteries, and double down with the wings.
Marquette pounded it inside all night...the question is, why no offensive fouls---there were clearly times when we were in position and got plowed over. One play, Keita was essentially sacked a la Chandler Jones.

It was their only way to win. Here is what I posted in a scouting report before the game.

Marquette’s offense is extremely dependent on getting to the free throw line a lot. When they don’t get to the line, they struggle to score and lose (see losses to Nova and Florida). When they flourish offensively, they got fouled a lot because they all shoot it well from the line (see big win vs. Pitt this year and also when they beat us in the past). So the officials will play a big role! We gotta keep them off the line.

Then we should've rebounded and stopped dribble penetration.

Marquette pounded it inside all night...the question is, why no offensive fouls---there were clearly times when we were in position and got plowed over. One play, Keita was essentially sacked a la Chandler Jones.

According to some people here its because he is too skinny. Didnt realize weight mattered when someone plows you over.

Then we should've rebounded and stopped dribble penetration.

I thought we did for the most part. They started to make shots in the second half and we had to then extend it out.

The game was called the way the game was called. The better question is, why didn't SU adjust to what Marq was trying to do, and the way the game was being called?

This game was not called square but then again, I expected nothing but screw jobs from this train wreck of a conference on the way out the door. Anyone who thinks the refs haven't been told to screw us at every possible turn is delusional. Not an excuse for our play tonight but this game was not called fairly by any objective criteria. This is really easy at the end of the day, do not play any of these teams not named St. Johns and Nova ever again. Period, full stop.

Jokes on me ? Good luck with your TV contract.

I thought we did for the most part. They started to make shots in the second half and we had to then extend it out.

Eh. Not enough I felt. Just pissed because you're right they are not very good. I thought that Gardner play vs Keita prob was a charge and that James trap was b.s. too but we also got some calls. We have too many flaws right now and not scoring inside and an overrated backcourt are big factors. There is nothing we can do either because we can't generate much inside and don't have good shooters. Not good.

The game was called the way the game was called. The better question is, why didn't SU adjust to what Marq was trying to do, and the way the game was being called?

Grant was disappointing tonight I thought. We really could have used him on the defensive boards tonight and he gave up a few rebounds, Plus his foul on the three point shooter was just stupid.

Lots of mental errors tonight.

I agree. I asked my wife at least three times why JB wasn't giving our kids baseball bats.

Eh. Not enough I felt. Just pissed because you're right they are not very good. I thought that Gardner play vs Keita prob was a charge and that James trap was b.s. too but we also got some calls. We have too many flaws right now and not scoring inside and an overrated backcourt are big factors.
That was my point is that they are not very good. I mean they really are not. Buzz got the perfect storm tonight and Gardner (who scored 2 points against Villanova BTW) just had his way. I would have liked to see DC in there to at least try to put a body on him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom