8 team playoff | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

8 team playoff

I hear ya, but isn't that what makes the playoffs great? Anybody can win.

Look at the NCAA tourney.
Only one time did all four number 1's make it to the final four. That's what makes it so compelling by having a 1985 Villanova possible to happen.

I love upsets the first two rounds. I then hate them with a passion the rest of the tournament. IMO the champion in any sport should be one of the best teams and never the hot team. I prefer the European model of sport. Round robin champ but also a separate knockout tournament.

So much has to be in place in order for a playoff of 8 teams to come about.

If P5 conference champions are auto-bids then the powers that be will want some mechanism in place that guarantees the two best teams in each conference are in that particular game. If as someone suggested in this thread conferences do away with these games whatever replaces it has to replace that money as well. Will that pool of money be evenly divided amongst the P5 and how will the SEC react to that since their championship game makes way more money than any other conference.

What happens with the NY6 bowls? Will four of them become sites for the quarter-final games while the other two become the semi-final games only played a week later than the other four? Do contract bowls (Rose, Sugar, Orange) go away entirely, and if yes, what happens to that money and again are P5 conferences compensated accordingly?

Will the G5 bid have a caveat that the team must rank in Top 12? 15?

Assuming that conference championship games don't go away, then fans of programs might be asked to shell out money for conference championship game, quarter-final CFP game, semi-final CFP game, and NC game all in a month and a half time frame. Is that too much of a burden, especially with a week between each of the final three games?

ESPN already has a contract in place for another 7 years. If they aren't pushing for this, does it matter?

Great sports debate for boards like these and around the water cooler (same as conference realignment) though.

Cheers,
Neil

Hows it predictable Clemson beat Bama and UGA had them beat twice and choked it away. I think we will get 3 good games.

If Pay for Play becomes a thing then I am OK with the extra round. But as it stands asking college kids to play 4 games after the 12 game regular season is just too much IMO. Particularly with how much longer/more plays there are in college than NFL.

The current system is great. Ohio State was punished for narrowly escaping vs bad B1G teams a few times. OU got to redeem their loss to UT in Red River and got in. No Big 12 title game and Ohio St is in despite those struggles and getting smoked by Purdue. Worked perfectly.

The too many games argument is just hogwash because of the FCS. I don’t buy any of that as an excuse.

I hear ya, but isn't that what makes the playoffs great? Anybody can win.

Look at the NCAA tourney.
Only one time did all four number 1's make it to the final four. That's what makes it so compelling by having a 1985 Villanova possible to happen.

So you'd take a Pitt this year over a Georgia because they won their conference championship? Sorry but that's el loco.

Did the NYG get in the playoffs over other wildcard teams that had a better record?

You're comparing an apple to a kiwi.

why?
they got an automatic bid, while at the same time having a mediocre regular season record.

why?
they got an automatic bid, while at the same time having a mediocre regular season record.

Why do we have to have automatic bids? Shouldn't we take the four (or eight) best teams? Boy that would be exciting to watch Pitt play Alabama. Maybe Christians v Lions could play in the nightcap.

Did the NYG get in the playoffs over other wildcard teams that had a better record?

You're comparing an apple to a kiwi.
in 1985 the 8-8 cleveland browns got in over the 11-5 denver broncos

Why do we have to have automatic bids? Shouldn't we take the four (or eight) best teams? Boy that would be exciting to watch Pitt play Alabama. Maybe Christians v Lions could play in the nightcap.

so why does basketball take 68 ?
why now just start with the Elite 8 ?

How do you determine who the best 8 teams are when everyone’s schedule is vastly different? Auto bids takes the subjectivity and bias away. At the very least they should bring the BCS formula back.

so why does basketball take 68 ?
why now just start with the Elite 8 ?

B-ball has 3x the amount of teams and players can handle more than 12 games a year which allows for a bigger field. That being said 68 is probably twice as many as it should be.

in 1985 the 8-8 cleveland browns got in over the 11-5 denver broncos

In 1940 the Bears beat the Redskins 73-0. Both are irrelevant to the college game.

How do you determine who the best 8 teams are when everyone’s schedule is vastly different? Auto bids takes the subjectivity and bias away. At the very least they should bring the BCS formula back.

Inevitably you're going to take weak teams from weak conferences. That sucks.

In 1940 the Bears beat the Redskins 73-0. Both are irrelevant to the college game.

my point was not making a reference to the basketball tourney, it was in relation to the possibility of a team with a poor record (Pitt) making the CFP.

Let’s be clear here, there is $ to be made on the 8 team playoff.

Going to 11 games in the regular season will never happen because teams won’t want to lose $$$ on that one game. But somehow they will figure it out.

Someone will make the 8 team happen.

$ will talk in the end. 8 is the future.

Inevitably you're going to take weak teams from weak conferences. That sucks.

How do you determine weak conferences and weak teams? If you limit it to Top 15, is the team really weak?

OK well I still think its too much at this level.

The extra game and going from 14 to 15 is too much but it makes for a great product. I also think debating/choosing between 4 and 5 is better than having to pick between 2 and 3 when 3 might be as worthy as 1. In the current set up you know the best team won't get left out and end up 5. Thats the most important thing.

This screams cash grab and will devalue the regular season. If you are preseason top 5/10 you can lose 2 games and still make it.

Do you know that? If Georgia beat Alabama, would Bama have been the 5? Probably not, but we can't say for sure the best team does not get left out.

In reality, you should be looking at a 6-team playoff with the 1 and 2 seeds getting byes if you want to guarantee the best team doesn't get left out.

Do you know that? If Georgia beat Alabama, would Bama have been the 5? Probably not, but we can't say for sure the best team does not get left out.

In reality, you should be looking at a 6-team playoff with the 1 and 2 seeds getting byes if you want to guarantee the best team doesn't get left out.

They won’t let 2 teams sit home. Lost $.

If they expand, it will go 8.

Another reason to ditch the divisons. It would have been SU vs Clemson for the title.

Great point. 2 separate decisions in the same conference can be 2 totally different worlds if competition. one big conf of 14-15 teams like the old days and no need to worry about an even # of teams when talking About expansion. you have 12 weeks to make it into the top 2 for a shot at the auto bid .

Agree and disagree. P5 conference champs should get an automatic bid no matter what. In return, NCAA should demand two best conference records play for the championship. Then add the three at large. Let’s be real, SEC and Big Ten are always overrated, so if you just make it all at large you will see three SEC or three Big Ten teams in their and everyone will be scratching their heads. This way the conference championship games actually mean something

I like the top 2 conf records playing for those first 5 spots, eliminate divisions. for the 3 at large, leave 2 spots for the subjectively best remaining P5 teams. This year being OSU and maybe Michigan. finally round out the 8 with the most deserving G5 team.

There aren’t 8 worthy teams. At most cap it at 6.
There aren’t 68 worthy teams in basketball either. It’s not about who’s worthy, it’s about ratings, $$$, and who would tune in to Alabama-UCF in round 1. There would be some upsets and Cinderellas too.

I admire you for being able to compartmentalize (a) what you’re rooting for, and (b) what is smart/right.
But it’s stupid.

You could still have a 9-7 win 1 of those 3 divisions.

9-7 teams are supposed to get drilled in the playoffs. If they don’t, so be it.

It’s why we have a season and games.

Otherwise pick your playoff teams in August and let’s make the whole season 1 big stupidass participation event with no conference round robins and all in 1 big pot.

The schedule releasement can be every other round 16 teams go up and pick a name out of a hat to play that week.

The NCAA HQ in India-noplace has nothing to do with D-1A football beyond setting the basic ground rules on eligibilty, number of games, practice time, etc. They let D-1A set its own rules on who plays in conference championship games and the SEC, B1G, and Big XII voted down 3-5-5 (hoping for the ACC to implode). Every year since 1984, the NCAA has received a grand total of $0.00 from D-1A football.
That does not mean that they cannot change the rules through behind the scenes pressure or actually just change the rules

But it’s stupid.

You could still have a 9-7 win 1 of those 3 divisions.

9-7 teams are supposed to get drilled in the playoffs. If they don’t, so be it.

It’s why we have a season and games.

Otherwise pick your playoff teams in August and let’s make the whole season 1 big stupidass participation event with no conference round robins and all in 1 big pot.

The schedule releasement can be every other round 16 teams go up and pick a name out of a hat to play that week.

No stupid is having an 7-8-1 team in the playoffs only because the teams located around them are worse. Four divisions in the NFL is too many.

Last edited:
Alvarez has the chance to voice it before and was silent.

What changed?

Oh yeah, no B1G rep this year.

Not a fan of Alvarez, tried to talk to him before we played them in hoops a couple of years back up there once he saw my Syracuse shirt he turned and walked the other way.

He can pound sand!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom