8 team playoff | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

8 team playoff

Conference champs
ACC: Clemson
Big Ten: OSU
Big 12: Oklahoma
PAC 12: Washington
SEC: Bama
That leaves three of ND, UGA, UM, UCF for consideration. Sounds about right to me. Whataboutism is a logical fallacy.

Make the conferences all agree to going away from divisions and doing the two best records in exchange for automatic bids. How many times have we seen mediocre SEC and Big Ten teams be ranked in the top ten just because they are in the big girl conference and got the easy schedule that year? You want to leave that judgement up to a proven biased committee? No thanks. I’d rather the champions decide it on the field. Even if the ACC champ is a 9-4 SU team that had to beat a 12-1 Clemson team to get there. Pitt or NW beating Clemson or OSU actually says something about the characters of those teams.

That bit about no divisions if you want an auto-bid is GENIUS! And yes, give the bid to the CCG winner - even if it's an upset. Don't like it? then DON'T LOSE in the CCG!

No stupid is having an 7-8-1 team in the playoffs only because the teams located around them are worse. Four divisions in the NFL is too many.
Have you watched sports??

It happens in every single league...every single year.

Hell, Buster Douglas should never have been given a title fight, he had no chance...

If your agrugment is to go from 6 to 4 per conference, then mine is to go from 4 to 2.

Conf Champ Games then Super Bowl.

Wham bam, thank you mam.

And for those out there giving you some kind of self awareness trophy, in 2008 the Giants were 12-4 and lost to a 9-6-1 team...and I didn’t have 1 damn problem with it. Well I did, but you all know what I mean.

I want some damn kudos too.

Have you watched sports??

It happens in every single league...every single year.

Hell, Buster Douglas should never have been given a title fight, he had no chance...

If your agrugment is to go from 6 to 4 per conference, then mine is to go from 4 to 2.

Conf Champ Games then Super Bowl.

Wham bam, thank you mam.

And for those out there giving you some kind of self awareness trophy, in 2008 the Giants were 12-4 and lost to a 9-6-1 team...and I didn’t have 1 damn problem with it. Well I did, but you all know what I mean.

I want some damn kudos too.

Why not make the NFL a 32 team playoff then. Who wouldn’t want to see an 0-16 team upset the #1 seed?

That does not mean that they cannot change the rules through behind the scenes pressure or actually just change the rules
There's absolutely, positively no incentive for them to do anything since they get $0.00 each and every year since 1984 from D-1A football. Plus, HQ can't change any rule, period. The schools must vote in any changes to any rule. The can recommend changes, but the schools decide whether to adopt the changes or not.

Why not make the NFL a 32 team playoff then. Who wouldn’t want to see an 0-16 team upset the #1 seed?
Not enough weekends.

Exactly, so why not we...oh I don’t know, split into 4 divisions with each winner advancing and then the 2 best records???

Seems pretty fair for fans and teams.

6 out of 16 each is not overkill.

Not enough weekends.

Exactly, so why not we...oh I don’t know, split into 4 divisions with each winner advancing and then the 2 best records???

Seems pretty fair for fans and teams.

6 out of 16 each is not overkill.

IMO it should be three divisions and two wild cards. That protects from a mediocre team getting hot and winning a championship.

Did the NFL expand the playoffs to better crown a champion? Or was it to make more money?

Regular season is meaningless in pro sports. All you need to do is make the playoffs with a .500 record and you have a shot. Why even both giving 100% during the season? Save yourself for the playoffs. The Spurs were doing that. Do you think that is good for the sport?

IMO it should be three divisions and two wild cards. That protects from a mediocre team getting hot and winning a championship.

Did the NFL expand the playoffs to better crown a champion? Or was it to make more money?

Regular season is meaningless in pro sports. All you need to do is make the playoffs with a .500 record and you have a shot. Why even both giving 100% during the season? Save yourself for the playoffs. The Spurs were doing that. Do you think that is good for the sport?
The NBA is not a viable counter argument, the best team ALWAYS wins. Maybe it’s the 2nd or 3rd, but other than a strike year no 8 seed is making the conf finals let alone the league finals.

Football, works.

I am against a 7th team, and 8 would totally ruin the regular season.

But if someone could convince me that the bye in January is a detriment, then I’d change my vote.

Just don’t see it.

It’s perfect right now.

If a 12-4 San Diego teams rolls into a 8-8 or 9-7 conference winner...so be it.

If they’re really any good, they’ll win.

Like last night.

People who poo poo playoffs in sports must be a real joy to be around.

1 seeds win the highest percentage of the time in every sport anyway.

If you think it waters down the competion maybe the 1 seed that loses wasn't that good to begin with.

People who hate playoffs are probably the same people that stay with their first job or first girlfriend no matter how terrible they are.

Last edited:
Dump the FCS games (make it one allowable preseason game).

All P5 move to 9 conference games. Scrap the divisions and conf championship game. Give each team some number of annual opponents (preferably 2) and then rotate the rest.

Have to schedule at least 1 P5, and then the last 2 games can be G5. Bonus points if the team schedules more P5. Penalized if they schedule FCS.

ND has to play 6 ACC games and at least 4 other P5 games.

Best 8 teams are in the playoff.

I think that would keep regular seasons more interesting with fresh opponents in your own league (other than the Big 12).

Solved.
I like this.

Here's the rub--I think scrapping conference championship games is a prerequisite to an 8-team playoff. But the SEC has already made clear that they will not drop theirs, presumably because it's such a big moneymaker. [A quarterfinal game at Alabama vs. the PAC-12 champ would likely be as lucrative, but it's just not "SEC". ]

I like this.

Here's the rub--I think scrapping conference championship games is a prerequisite to an 8-team playoff. But the SEC has already made clear that they will not drop theirs, presumably because it's such a big moneymaker. [A quarterfinal game at Alabama vs. the PAC-12 champ would likely be as lucrative, but it's just not "SEC". ]

Yeah, SEC Championship game is probably going nowhere. If the Pac-12, ACC, Big 10, Big 12 championship games went away, I doubt anyone would notice. SEC game is an event. They were the first and always the most successful.

But I suppose they could keep them, and have a sort of defacto round of 16. But many years a couple of the losers in that game might end up in the playoff anyway.

But many years a couple of the losers in that game might end up in the playoff anyway.
And this is why you have to have auto bids no matter how you get to them. How does anyone really know how good the SEC is this year? Here are the non-conference opponents the top 3 in each division have beaten this year:
Georgia - Austin Peay, Middle Tennesee St, UMass, GA Tech
Alabama - Arkansas St, UL -Lafayette, Citadel, Louisville
Florida - Charleston Southern, Col St, Idaho, Florida St
Texas A&M - Northwestern St, LA-Monroe, UAB, Clemson (L)
Kentucky - Central Mich, Murray St, Middle TN St, Louisville
LSU - SE Louisiana, LA Tech, Rice, Miami

Can you honestly say that the above tells you anything about those teams other than they were the 6 best SEC teams? Interesting they all played 1 P5 school and each was from the ACC (hate to travel far?), 3 lousy teams, 2 mediocre and 1 very good (they lost). I realize the SEC is the best conference, but they certainly do not do anything during the regular season to prove it.

And this is why you have to have auto bids no matter how you get to them. How does anyone really know how good the SEC is this year? Here are the non-conference opponents the top 3 in each division have beaten this year:

Can you honestly say that the above tells you anything about those teams other than they were the 6 best SEC teams? Interesting they all played 1 P5 school and each was from the ACC (hate to travel far?), 3 lousy teams, 2 mediocre and 1 very good (they lost). I realize the SEC is the best conference, but they certainly do not do anything during the regular season to prove it.

The problem is the 4 in-state rivalry games and they aren't going anywhere. aTm will probably add Texas to that list at some point. If it becomes a 9 conf season, then that will be their only P5.

There aren’t 8 worthy teams. At most cap it at 6. Plus the top team should be rewarded with a bye.

If you are a P5 conference champion and in the Top 10 you get in. If you are a G5 team and in the Top 10 you get in. Whatever spots are leftover go to the highest ranked teams.

BTW they should go back to a BCS like formula for rankings.

Bama vs winner of Ohio State/Washington
Clemson vs winner of Oklahoma/UCF
Too bad ND join a conference

Clemson vs Bama/Ohio State winner
Oklahoma vs Georgia/USC winner

Bama vs Washington/Penn State
Clemson vs Ohio State/Oklahoma

Clemson vs Oklahoma/Iowa
Bama vs Michigan State/Stanford

Bama vs Ohio State/Baylor
Oregon vs FSU/TCU

I don't like the "Bye" concept. Have each team play the same number of games (3) to win the championship.

One of the strengths of the SEC is their depth which is far greater than any of the other conferences. You left out Auburn beating Washington, Missouri beating Purdue and Memphis, Miss State beating Kansas State. The SEC's record OOC was not spectacular but I'm not aware of any other conferences that did better.

One of the strengths of the SEC is their depth which is far greater than any of the other conferences. You left out Auburn beating Washington, Missouri beating Purdue and Memphis, Miss State beating Kansas State. The SEC's record OOC was not spectacular but I'm not aware of any other conferences that did better.
A quick perusal--

The ACC had a few decent OOC wins--Clemson over A&M and SCarolina, BC over Temple, Duke over Army, Northwestern and Baylor. That's about it. The league was down this year, for sure.

It’s not that hard to rank conferences using available data. If every P5 team also played 9 conference games and had to play a P5 OOC and no FCS (or make it a preseason game) - the data would be even more telling.

Here is a thought. Top 2 overall teams in each conference, meaning every conference play for playoff eligibility. This creates a natural playoff in every conference and thus a 24 team playoff.

The winner of each conference playoff gains playoff eligibility. Expand the playoff to 6 teams. Two teams get a bye and four teams play in a wild card like setup ( using two more bowl games of the NY6) and winners meet the bye seeds in the semis and then everything goes as it does now.

The choice of the 6 teams is handled the same as it 4 are now except the list of eligible teams is already determined. An Independent playoff also is part of the conference playoff. That would probably be tricky to work out but if conferences eliminate divisions if could possibly work. This also takes away having two teams in the playoff from the same conference each year thus a six team "super bowl series".

It’s not that hard to rank conferences using available data. If every P5 team also played 9 conference games and had to play a P5 OOC and no FCS (or make it a preseason game) - the data would be even more telling.

I think reasonable people can come to two conclusions:

1) The SEC deserves very harsh criticism for its tendency to schedule weak OOC teams in September and for that eyesore they schedule in mid-November. That said, they're far from the only teams to play FCS opponents. Btw ND, who always comes in for harsh critiques on this board, does not play FCS opponents.

2) This year the SEC's depth of talent at the top, middle and bottom was far superior to the other P5 conferences. You don't have to look any further than the betting lines in the bowl games to have that driven home.

A quick perusal--

The ACC had a few decent OOC wins--Clemson over A&M and SCarolina, BC over Temple, Duke over Army, Northwestern and Baylor. That's about it. The league was down this year, for sure.

Fair points. I would note that when the ACC butted heads with the SEC this year it wasn't pretty.

Clemson did all right. Louisville, not so much.

Clemson had a two point win over TA&M (not in the top 5 in that conf imo) and gave up 500 yards of passing to SoCar. Georgia Tech got rolled by UGA, LSU routed the U and Florida crushed FSU.

College football is a lot like life. Money and Name recognition get you in the door and the advantages. The system unfair and random. I kind of respect it.
Yet in some ways karma hurts the big wigs.. Ie Buckeyes boilermakers 29npoint debacle.

Also, the rewards teams like us who have a great season which to the blue bloods would be a down year.

I compare it a hedge fund manager getting a 10k bump in pay. Means little to him and the world to omeone like me.

Don't change college football

Fans would be calling for Sabans head if they were going to a bowl similar to campingworld yet for us it is such a great reward.

Here is a thought. Top 2 overall teams in each conference, meaning every conference play for playoff eligibility. This creates a natural playoff in every conference and thus a 24 team playoff.

The winner of each conference playoff gains playoff eligibility. Expand the playoff to 6 teams. Two teams get a bye and four teams play in a wild card like setup ( using two more bowl games of the NY6) and winners meet the bye seeds in the semis and then everything goes as it does now.

The choice of the 6 teams is handled the same as it 4 are now except the list of eligible teams is already determined. An Independent playoff also is part of the conference playoff. That would probably be tricky to work out but if conferences eliminate divisions if could possibly work. This also takes away having two teams in the playoff from the same conference each year thus a six team "super bowl series".
Love the idea of creating a larger playoff with the conference championships. Hate the idea of only six teams and some teams having byes. 8 or 16 team playoff makes the most sense. Regular season becomes incredibly relevant if you get rid of divisions and play the two best in the championship game then every single game matters for more teams. With the automatic bids for champions, there will be more incentive for teams to schedule premier out of conference games.

I think reasonable people can come to two conclusions:

1) The SEC deserves very harsh criticism for its tendency to schedule weak OOC teams in September and for that eyesore they schedule in mid-November. That said, they're far from the only teams to play FCS opponents. Btw ND, who always comes in for harsh critiques on this board, does not play FCS opponents.

2) This year the SEC's depth of talent at the top, middle and bottom was far superior to the other P5 conferences. You don't have to look any further than the betting lines in the bowl games to have that driven home.
Betting lines are driven by opinions. You can have the greatest models, but they’re all based on bias and then you add humans driving the line. The SEC is Bama, UGA and everyone else. Even terrible SU played LSU tough when they were supposed to beat the crap out of us. The P5 are all pretty close to each other. No one has ever been far superior

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom