8 team playoff | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

8 team playoff

He was for it. Although I don’t agree with his assessment. He said that having to win three games is an advantage to the better team. That actually is not true. It is an advantage to the better program. If tOSU were in this year’s playoffs, they are at worst on par depth wise. Same could be said about UGA. His point rings true for UW and UCF though.

Also he totally ignores the fact that the 1 seed is more likely to lose having to play three games vs two.
And you ignore that if the 1 seed does, so bei it. Then the #2 seed will win it all.

Just like now if the 1 seed has a bad game.

Dino was for it, so am I for the record, but he made a good argument for both sides.

If you want to see only the Heavyweights fight it out...keep it at 4.

If you want see a Light Heavyweight or a Cruiserweight Win a game...maybe more...go to 8.

Chances are a Heavyweight will knock them out anyway, it just might not be Alabama, it could be Clemson.

I like how he struggles to name the Syracuse and opposing teams players.

They’re Cattle boy and girls...just cattle.

And you ignore that if the 1 seed does, so bei it. Then the #2 seed will win it all.

Just like now if the 1 seed has a bad game.

Dino was for it, so am I for the record, but he made a good argument for both sides.

If you want to see only the Heavyweights fight it out...keep it at 4.

If you want see a Light Heavyweight or a Cruiserweight Win a game...maybe more...go to 8.

Chances are a Heavyweight will knock them out anyway, it just might not be Alabama, it could be Clemson.

I like how he struggles to name the Syracuse and opposing teams players.

They’re Cattle boy and girls...just cattle.

There is also the question of reseeding. It makes sense to reseed but then you can’t fill out bracket$. B-ball would gaina better true champion with reseeding.

playing 2 extra games is insane. agree with up above 6 with 2 byes but play the semis on christmas day and wrap this present up by new years. there aren't 8 contenders ever.

There will be years when 6 isn't enough or too many. leaving logical contenders out is a much bigger problem than putting illogical contenders in. Go "big tent". Also, I hate byes. Teams should have to win an equal number of games to get into a tournament. And the whole purpose of having divisions is so everyone has a shot at the championship if they can just keep beating the teams in front of them. You have to have a system that allows for that. Thus 8 with an auto bid for the best of the Group of 5 or 16 with the champion of each conference. Again if D3 does a 32 tam tournament, FBS can go to 8 or 16.

There is also the question of reseeding. It makes sense to reseed but then you can’t fill out bracket$. B-ball would gaina better true champion with reseeding.
Yeah, reseeding is a Road I’d rather not walk down.

There is also the question of reseeding. It makes sense to reseed but then you can’t fill out bracket$. B-ball would gain a better true champion with reseeding.
I think that would take away some of the magic of March Madness. Any issues with seeding shouldn't happen because of upsets but should be a by product of the committee.

If they expand to 8, then people will soon be calling for 10.

Not if all the logical contenders are within the 8. You want the last team in- last team out argument to be between teams that nobody thinks might be the best team. Then your championship tournament is big enough.

Fair points. I would note that when the ACC butted heads with the SEC this year it wasn't pretty.

Surprisingly, we have done pretty well versus the SEC over the years.

I don't see it that way - don't think any of the other P5s are close to the SEC - but hey that's what makes a market. Vegas lines are set by power rankings and then adjusted as money comes in to find an equilibrium. These guys are good at setting lines so the adjustments are usually rather small.

I think you're a little too in love with the SEC. Even terrific programs like LSU and Auburn have been inconsistent in recent times. I don't think anybody outside the SEC gets too excited about teams like Ole Miss, Kentucky, South Carolina and Mississippi State.

Based on my criteria I would have made the 8 team playoff look like this.
This past weekend
8 seed Washington at 1 seed Alabama
7 seed Central Florida at 2 seed Clemson
6 seed Ohio State at 3 seed Notre Dame
5 seed Georgia at 4 seed Oklahoma

12-29
2 semi finals

1-7
National Championship

I can tell you 1 thing - I’d have watched a whole lot more CFB last weekend. And commercials.

And that’s why they’ll do it.

I hate the 8 team playoff expansion unless it provides automatic spots to conference champions who are ranked in the top 15.

I say top 15 because these poll voters have shown they are bias to certain conferences and I don’t want politics screwing a conference champion so a higher rated non champion can get in over a champion.

Like if a 9-3 PAC-12 team got screwed so a 9-3 LSU could make it.

5 conference champions
3 at-large bids.

As long as the 5 champions are top 15 and if a G5 team is top 15 they get one berth.

I don’t care if the 7th and 8th ranked teams are screwed I want Conference championships to matter.

I HATE the idea of conference championships determining invites to the CFP. Punishing teams from good conferences and rewarding teams from sheet conferences is an awful idea.

I HATE the idea of conference championships determining invites to the CFP. Punishing teams from good conferences and rewarding teams from sheet conferences is an awful idea.
Conference titles should matter.
I also said I would have a rule the conference champion be top 15 from a P5 league to get the automatic berth.

It is just like the NFL giving each division champion a playoff berth.

I think you're a little too in love with the SEC. Even terrific programs like LSU and Auburn have been inconsistent in recent times. I don't think anybody outside the SEC gets too excited about teams like Ole Miss, Kentucky, South Carolina and Mississippi State.

Calling it as I see it. Just my opinion.

Mississippi State is a legit top 15 team. UK is overrated but not a bad squad. Ole Miss and SC are near the bottom of that league yet somehow SC is a 5 point fave over UVA in a bowl game. Rank the ACC teams 1-12 and then I'll do the same with the SEC. Then let's compare and you show me where the ACC would be favored in any of the 12 games.

Conference titles should matter.
I also said I would have a rule the conference champion be top 15 from a P5 league to get the automatic berth.

It is just like the NFL giving each division champion a playoff berth.

So if Northwestern, Utah or Texas had won in those championship games a few weeks ago you would have been fine with having all of them in a CFP playoff?

So if Northwestern, Utah or Texas had won in those championship games a few weeks ago you would have been fine with having all of them in a CFP playoff?
Yes. It’s no different than if an 8 or 9 seed beats the 1 seed in the NCAA tournament second round.
Even though the 8-9 seed is clearly inferior of the course of the season they won when it mattered on a neutral field.

The top 15 caveat means you better be better than 8-4 to get in.
Like Pitt wouldn’t have gotten an auto bid.
The ACC would forfeit it for that one year.
Give me a conference champion ranked 12th over Michigan getting in ranked 7th who won nothing.
Utah and Texas win and they are in.

Yes. It’s no different than if an 8 or 9 seed beats the 1 seed in the NCAA tournament second round.
Even though the 8-9 seed is clearly inferior of the course of the season they won when it mattered on a neutral field.

Give me a conference champion ranked 12th over Michigan getting in ranked 7th who won nothing.

So if the two best teams in the country are in one conference and one loses to the other on a last second FG they're out while some team that would be a two TD dog to #2 gets in? That ain't right. Your way puts too much emphasis on one game and ignores what happened during the entire season.

Thankfully the CFP committee has, to date, not overvalued conference champions. Kudos to them.

So if the two best teams in the country are in one conference and one loses to the other on a last second FG they're out while some team that would be a two TD dog to #2 gets in? That ain't right. Your way puts too much emphasis on one game and ignores what happened during the entire season.

If there are no at large bids left then yes tough shite. The CCGs are like a playoff game.

In an 8 team playoff.
5 berths for conference champions ranked in the top 15
1 berth for a G6 team ranked if ranked in the top 15
Atleast 2 at-large berths for non champions.
So in your scenario the team that lost in the conference title game by a FG would be eligible for one of the two at’large berths.

In 2008 the New England Patriots went 11-5 without Tom Brady and didn’t make the playoffs. To be fair as well if they made the playoffs the team would have been dangerous.

The 2008 San Diego Chargers went 8-8 and won their division and not only made the playoffs but got a home game they won.
Patriots fans took it in stride as those were the rules. The best teams don’t always make the playoffs and that is why divisional play keeps everyone involved.
Conference championships should matter. Finish top 15 and win your conference title you get an automatic berth if you are in the P5 conferences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom