$87,922 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

$87,922

An absolute racket. Unfortunately, people keep accepting their admissions and the school sees that there is additional room to move up and squeeze more money out of students.
Yup...and then spend money like the government so they can claim non-profit lol.

With private schools you have the fully aided kids and the full pays without a decreasing amount in the middle. If you are fully aided, who cares what the cost is since the school provides full financial aid packages. If you are rich, a few extra thousand a year doesn't matter.
Most people don’t fall in either category though.

The cost of tuition plus room and board has more than doubled since I first stepped on campus in August 2006. I would not be able to attend Syracuse in 2023 if I were a student that was accepted. What is driving increases of this magnitude? Is it just the proliferation of government student loans which gives universities an excuse to inflate the sticker price or is there spending that we're not aware of?

id pay it again to enjoy those 4 years on the hill.

it's extortion but it's happiness extorted.

college isn't worth it but golf memberships aren't either. everything doesn't ahve to be distilled to the penny valuation wise.

The tuition + room & board I paid when I enrolled in 1991 would be ~$42,000 in inflation-adjusted dollars today. Increasing tution at more than 2X the rate of inflation seems absurd. But obviously SU ain't alone.

The tuition + room & board I paid when I enrolled in 1991 would be ~$42,000 in inflation-adjusted dollars today. Increasing tution at more than 2X the rate of inflation seems absurd. But obviously SU ain't alone.

the money flowing from baby boomers will keep this racket going for a few more generations. there's money in the banana stands to keep kids paying full freight to the bigger brand schools.

ultimately some will go away or some will get bigger. northeastern now has like 5 campuses aroudn the world because of the increase in demand.

it was worth it to me. for some who know they want to run the family hvac or electrician biz prob a waste of money but still a fun time if you can do both.

id pay it again to enjoy those 4 years on the hill.

it's extortion but it's happiness extorted.

college isn't worth it but golf memberships aren't either. everything doesn't ahve to be distilled to the penny valuation wise.
I don’t know man, you can get a membership to a really nice private country club for around $5-8k a year. That’s a fraction of SU tuition, we’re literally talking about a small fortune. Especially when you consider loss of opportunity costs.

the money flowing from baby boomers will keep this racket going for a few more generations. there's money in the banana stands to keep kids paying full freight to the bigger brand schools.

ultimately some will go away or some will get bigger. northeastern now has like 5 campuses aroudn the world because of the increase in demand.

it was worth it to me. for some who know they want to run the family hvac or electrician biz prob a waste of money but still a fun time if you can do both.
I agree with you. It's a choice. There are lots of much more affordable options if one wants a college education.

No one needs a Tesla, Kia's are just fine, but some people want a Tesla.

I don’t know man, you can get a membership to a really nice private country club for around $5-8k a year. That’s a fraction of SU tuition, we’re literally talking about a small fortune. Especially when you consider loss of opportunity costs.
Im
Saying it’s a choice to pay 80k for cuse and 24 for umass. It always was. The college degree comes w prestige networking knowledge and a community.

I’m in La This week. I see a guy w an SU hat I nod approvingly. It matters being an SU grad. Cost is up for debate what it’s worth

Most people don’t fall in either category though.
100% agree. But it's a trend in higher ed for the private schools. There is a fight/arms race for the smart full pay kids and you throw your financial aid resources at the smart poor kids. It creates a donut.

100% agree. But it's a trend in higher ed for the private schools. There is a fight/arms race for the smart full pay kids and you throw your financial aid resources at the smart poor kids. It creates a donut.
Yeah, I do see that, but I am not sure for how much longer it will be sustainable.

Im
Saying it’s a choice to pay 80k for cuse and 24 for umass. It always was. The college degree comes w prestige networking knowledge and a community.

I’m in La This week. I see a guy w an SU hat I nod approvingly. It matters being an SU grad. Cost is up for debate what it’s worth
People sometimes give me a nod too cause I wear Cuse gear, but I’m just repping the team; little do they know I went to community college!

I’m just saying, put $350k in an S&P 500 ETF for 42 years and you’re looking at a deca millionaire by age 60.

Last edited:
How many students actually pay full cost of tuition?
Except for my season tickets, all my donations to SU go to the scholarship fund.

People sometimes give me a nod too cause I wear Cuse gear, but I’m just repping the team; little do they know I went to community college!

I’m just saying, put $350k in an S&P 500 ETF for 42 years and you’re looking at a deca millionaire by age 60.

Sure and don’t live a fun life of not spending a dime. Which is ok it’s America

I’m ok w spending a lot for my kid to go to school (and taking on debt to do so). His life will be fuller as mine was when my parents stretched to send me to SU

Sure and don’t live a fun life of not spending a dime. Which is ok it’s America

I’m ok w spending a lot for my kid to go to school (and taking on debt to do so). His life will be fuller as mine was when my parents stretched to send me to SU
Everyone is different. I definitely respect your education and desire to give your child the same. Being a SU grad is definitely a tremendous accomplishment I am sure.

Everyone is different. I definitely respect your education and desire to give your child the same. Being a SU grad is definitely a tremendous accomplishment I am sure.
I respect everyone’s decision. It’s not easy

I’m just saying going to SU was the best thing that ever happened to me. That’s a price tag I’d pay again.

Fifty years ago last Friday, I graduated from SU. Tuition rose from $1700/yr to $2800/yr over my four years.
IMG_0605.gif

2000 was my freshman year. I considered staying home and going to Syracuse, but saw the tuition chart for BYU, and the tuition chart for Syracuse, and realized I could graduate from BYU for slightly more than it would cost to do 1 year at Syracuse.

I did not major in personal finance, but I got on a plane and headed west.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom