#9 Forever - Congrats to Donnie Mac | Syracusefan.com

#9 Forever - Congrats to Donnie Mac

OrangeViking

2nd String
Having his jersey raised to the rafters tomorrow. What a great player I was lucky enough to witness, and a good human being too. Well deserved honor, he should have won the Heisman.

Victim of the ND hype machine that year. Nobody in the country had a better season than he did.

Victim of the ND hype machine that year. Nobody in the country had a better season than he did.
He'll be the first to tell you he didn't deserve it and that he wasn't the best player on his own team.

Though, being humble is a sign of a good leader and he should have won

I have an old VHS tape that has both the '87 PSU game and the Heisman Trophy Award show from later that year. That is the one game where Donnie probably had one of the best days a quarterback could ever have. He had an exceptionally strong arm and could put the long sideline pass to the receiver on a rope.

During the Heisman show they interviewed Lou Holtz (who sounds nothing like he does today) signing the praises of Tim Brown. Made me sick. Of course Mac was his usual charming self, noting that he was proud to be in the presence of two great Syracuse ball carriers - (announcers Jim Nantz and James Brown)!

Donnie was a terrific representative of the University, both on and off of the field.

The WV 1987 game was the first one I had ever been to. We had moved here in 84 and I had only just begun to be interested in SU basketball. We sat on the 50 yard line in the bottom tier behind the SU bench. We got those good seats because one of the assistant coach's dogs had REALLY irritated my friend. It was a baaaaad dog. He gave us free tickets.

Anway, the four of us go to the game, not having any idea what we were about to witness. I do remember a song that was circulating that fall, about "Donnie, oh Donnie, Donnie Mac, he is our quarterback!" As you may or may not remember, there were an incredible amount of turnovers in that game, and it may be that Donnie had 3-4 interceptions. We were going back and forth, cheering Donnie and then moaning and groaning every time he threw an interceptions. We would say things like, "Poor Donnie!" or "OH NO, Donnie, nooooooo!"

After the game, he clambered right over the seats and began hugging and kissing the man and woman right in front of us. We had been sitting behind his parents the entire time! And they never said a word. I like to remember that for the most part we said positive things about their son. It was thrilling to see the happiness of that family!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom