9 Game Schedule Question | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

9 Game Schedule Question

Virginia Tech and the rest of the conference will realize why on October 15th

Just rotate the division's every other year.
Come up with two sets of names for the different configurations and move on.

I've brought this up before: rank the teams 1-14 based on the previous year's standings, with tie-breakers. Make all the "odd teams" (1-3-5-7-9-11-13) one division and all the even teams (2-4-6-8-10-12-14) in the other. You play all the teams in your division and two from the other division: one of mutual choice, to retain the biggest rivalry) and the other would be against the school you haven't played in the longest time.

Meanwhile we open with Colgate in the Dome every year, then a home and home with Army, then a AAC, MAC or CUSA team, then a Power Five team or Notre Dame if it's our turn.

Done.

I think at first they'd fight it, just because there's a pride thing about getting poached.

But in the end that would just end up being a negotiating position. $ cures everything. As you said, they really don't fit and no school is going to miss that trip. WVU would jump for joy and kick in all their beer revenue.

While I don't personally have the clout to make this happen, I'm forwarding your proposal to the appropriate WFVU administrators...

Again easy way to rotate divisions
Division 1 has
UNC
Duke
UVA
Division 2
NC State
Wake Forest
Va. Tech
Protect UNC-NCSU, Duke-Wake, VPI-UVA

Zip up BC/SU, Miami/FSU, Pitt/UL, Clemson-Ga.Tech
And rotate them every 2 years.

I've brought this up before: rank the teams 1-14 based on the previous year's standings, with tie-breakers. Make all the "odd teams" (1-3-5-7-9-11-13) one division and all the even teams (2-4-6-8-10-12-14) in the other. You play all the teams in your division and two from the other division: one of mutual choice, to retain the biggest rivalry) and the other would be against the school you haven't played in the longest time.

Meanwhile we open with Colgate in the Dome every year, then a home and home with Army, then a AAC, MAC or CUSA team, then a Power Five team or Notre Dame if it's our turn.

Done.
While this would likely make for a somewhat more even distribution of strength between two divisions (graduation, early departures, etc. make team strength inconsistent from year to year), it does not address the real reason why 3+5+5, rotating divisions, and 9-game schedules are attractive (from a fan's standpoint, not ESPN's).

The goal, for many of us, is to play other schools on a more regular basis than once every 6 years. In fact, at its extreme, your proposal could potentially guarantee that two schools might never meet on the gridiron (currently #3 & #4 behind Clempsun & FSU).

The 3-5-5 scheduling and rotating divisions guarantee that every ACC program will visit the Dome at least once every four years, instead of every 12 years.

While this would likely make for a somewhat more even distribution of strength between two divisions (graduation, early departures, etc. make team strength inconsistent from year to year), it does not address the real reason why 3+5+5, rotating divisions, and 9-game schedules are attractive (from a fan's standpoint, not ESPN's).

The goal, for many of us, is to play other schools on a more regular basis than once every 6 years. In fact, at its extreme, your proposal could potentially guarantee that two schools might never meet on the gridiron (currently #3 & #4 behind Clempsun & FSU).

The 3-5-5 scheduling and rotating divisions guarantee that every ACC program will visit the Dome at least once every four years, instead of every 12 years.

"and the other would be against the school you haven't played in the longest time."

"and the other would be against the school you haven't played in the longest time."
But the 3-5-5 scheme and rotating divisions options guarantee that SU would play against every other school at least twice every four years.
No brainer.

But the 3-5-5 scheme and rotating divisions options guarantee that SU would play against every other school at least twice every four years.
No brainer.

I don't really care about that. I think having a balanced schedule is more significant. The 3-5-5 divisional scheme is screwy.

I don't really care about that.
You may be one of the only ones. Many of the ADs and most of the fans do care. Heck, we've now got conference members scheduling each other in non-conference games due to this.

If the ACC goes 8+2, then I suspect that we'll see more intra ACC OOC games scheduled. It's odd, but I'm OK with that. SU would likely be one of those. There just aren't enough available P-5 schools out there now that 3 of the P-5 have gone to a 9 game conference schedule. Most of those will go 9+1+1G5+1FCS.

a poster on ncaabbs acc board came up with a great compromise where the 9th game is a rotating bi annual rival instead of just rotating through the other 5 teams or having 1 more permanent rival.

bi annual rivals:

Clemson-Virginia/Miami
FSU- GT,Unc
Louisville-VT/Pitt
Syracuse-Miami/Duke
WF-Unc/Vt
NC State-Duke/GT
BC-Pitt/Virginia

Miami-Syracuse/Clemson
VT-Louisville/Wf
Virginia-Clemson/Bc
GT-Fsu/Nc State
UNC-Wf/Fsu
Duke-NC State/Syracuse
Pitt-BC/Louisville

a poster on ncaabbs acc board came up with a great compromise where the 9th game is a rotating bi annual rival instead of just rotating through the other 5 teams or having 1 more permanent rival.

bi annual rivals:

Clemson-Virginia/Miami
FSU- GT,Unc
Louisville-VT/Pitt
Syracuse-Miami/Duke
WF-Unc/Vt
NC State-Duke/GT
BC-Pitt/Virginia

Miami-Syracuse/Clemson
VT-Louisville/Wf
Virginia-Clemson/Bc
GT-Fsu/Nc State
UNC-Wf/Fsu
Duke-NC State/Syracuse
Pitt-BC/Louisville

Love it - but what would happen if we swapped Duke for VT? Wouldn't Duke and Wake be happier too?

You may be one of the only ones. Many of the ADs and most of the fans do care. Heck, we've now got conference members scheduling each other in non-conference games due to this.

If the ACC goes 8+2, then I suspect that we'll see more intra ACC OOC games scheduled. It's odd, but I'm OK with that. SU would likely be one of those. There just aren't enough available P-5 schools out there now that 3 of the P-5 have gone to a 9 game conference schedule. Most of those will go 9+1+1G5+1FCS.

Playing OOC games against in conference schools just seems weird. If teams really end up doing that, then the ACC should only count the 6 division opponents in the standings (which is fair since it is round robin).

Also by only counting the 6 games in the standings, you can do 8+2 for FSU, Clemson, GA Tech, Louisville and 9+1 for everyone else.

Love it - but what would happen if we swapped Duke for VT? Wouldn't Duke and Wake be happier too?
vt bi annuals are pretty solid as duke and wake already play yearly and vt wants games in north carolina more frequently

here are the current permanent rivals:

SU-Pitt
FSU-Mia
Clemson-GT
NC State-UNC
Duke-Wake
VT-BC
Louisville-Virginia

We're stuck playing Florida State, Clemson and Louisville every year. I'm not aching to play Georgia Tech again any time soon. Any kind of permanent set-up runs the risk of making the conference schedule more of a meat-grinder than it needs to be. A flexible set up based on last year's results would be much more beneficial to everyone.

Last edited:
I do think at the very least the ACC should move to these divisions:

FSU-Miami
GA Tech-Clemson
UNC-NC State
Duke-Wake
Louisville-Pitt
UVA-VA Tech
BC-SU

So it would be flipping FSU and Miami, Louisville and VA Tech, BC and Pitt. That keeps the FL schools, NC schools, and the Southern schools split. It now splits the Northern schools, the Western schools, the VA schools, and the private schools evenly. Also it is balanced competitively.

IMO it is better for the ACC to split FSU and Clemson. If the ACC is one the bubble for the college football playoff, which is better FSU vs Clemson in the ACC CG or FSU/Clemson vs a current Coastal team? I think it is harder for a 1 loss FSU/Clemson to get into the playoffs beating a team like UNC.

there not changing the divisions as the coastal blocks any attempts to change it

I like the 3-5 team division set up that was suggested. Another thing you get when you have another team is more games (content) for the network. Here's an idea:

Maybe instead of making everybody play 8+2 or 9+1 the ACC adds 1 more member and that may get the ACC to reach its content quota ESPN is after. I’ll show you through math:

ESPN wants (14x8/2=) 56 ACC games + (14x2=) 28 OOC P5 games

or

(14x9/2=) 63 ACC games + 14 OOC P5 games

With an additional member the ACC could give ESPN (15x8/2=) 60 ACC games and it would be 1 over the 14 OOC games ESPN wanted with a 9 game conference schedule. In total, it would be a net loss of just 2 games. On top of those things, ESPN would get more inventory for basketball with the additional member.

I like the 3-5 team division set up that was suggested. Another thing you get when you have another team is more games (content) for the network. Here's an idea:

Maybe instead of making everybody play 8+2 or 9+1 the ACC adds 1 more member and that may get the ACC to reach its content quota ESPN is after. I’ll show you through math:

ESPN wants (14x8/2=) 56 ACC games + (14x2=) 28 OOC P5 games

or

(14x9/2=) 63 ACC games + 14 OOC P5 games

With an additional member the ACC could give ESPN (15x8/2=) 60 ACC games and it would be 1 over the 14 OOC games ESPN wanted with a 9 game conference schedule. In total, it would be a net loss of just 2 games. On top of those things, ESPN would get more inventory for basketball with the additional member.

At 8+2 or 9+1 the ACC has 70 games of P5 content. With 15 teams at 8+2 the ACC would have 67 games one year and 68 games the next. So there would be 2-3 games less depending on the year. The ACC would get 1-2 more games of non P5 content, but that isn't as valuable. In addition none of the available G5 teams have a strong football brand. So the content would be watered down. The only way an addition adds value is if the market makes up for the lack of football brand. The only possibilities in that case are Temple and Navy.

Speaking of Navy they will now allow athletes to skip the mandatory 2 years service if they are good enough to play professionally. Would that change allow Navy to be more competitive in BBall? The rest of their sports are good enough to get an invite. They bring Baltimore/DC back into the mix and give ND more incentive to join.

The only problem with having 3 divisions is that the NCAA only allows a conference to have 2 and only the division winners (based on who's eligible to play) are allowed to play in the championship game. Any plan that interferes with having the championship game (like 3-5-5, unfortunately :() is a non-starter and will not be considered by Greensboro until the current rule is changed.

At 8+2 or 9+1 the ACC has 70 games of P5 content. With 15 teams at 8+2 the ACC would have 67 games one year and 68 games the next. So there would be 2-3 games less depending on the year. The ACC would get 1-2 more games of non P5 content, but that isn't as valuable. In addition none of the available G5 teams have a strong football brand. So the content would be watered down. The only way an addition adds value is if the market makes up for the lack of football brand. The only possibilities in that case are Temple and Navy.

Speaking of Navy they will now allow athletes to skip the mandatory 2 years service if they are good enough to play professionally. Would that change allow Navy to be more competitive in BBall? The rest of their sports are good enough to get an invite. They bring Baltimore/DC back into the mix and give ND more incentive to join.

What's to keep a few teams from adding an additional P5 team to the schedule to bring the total up to 70? Furthermore, if every team has one P5 team on schedule every year (other than ND), that brings the total up to 69-70 in a 15 team conference.

The only problem with having 3 divisions is that the NCAA only allows a conference to have 2 and only the division winners (based on who's eligible to play) are allowed to play in the championship game. Any plan that interferes with having the championship game (like 3-5-5, unfortunately :() is a non-starter and will not be considered by Greensboro until the current rule is changed.

In this case, do away with divisions all together and have each school with 2 or 3 annual games with the rest rotated. We will get more regular season games we want to see, but would have to sacrifice the ACCCG until the rule is changed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom