a bit surprised | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

a bit surprised

Only one member of the DO staff had the Orange as good as 6-6. The other two had losing seasons.
Yeah just nuts right. At the risk of blowing smoke up my own skirt exhibiting some trump level narcissism, because of my history in the sport, I have a knack for predicting these things. Including years and years ago, predicting in preseason that Rutgers and temple would beat us when they sucked and we were “good”. Seem to be always within a game on my progs.

Told everyone in my circle last year that we’d be be good. Telling everybody this year we’re going to be really good.

When we were interviewed last year before the first game at the SyraCruz tailgate on one of the television stations I said on camera “Syracuse will be the surprise team in the country this year” which was looking good at 6–0 and couple bad calls away (on slow Mo Clemson‘s QBs left foot was in bounds when he was hit) from 7–0 at Clemson, then who knows what happens.

I remember looking around as I was being interviewed seen some there laugh along with much pessimism amongst many regulars in my family and here.

Throw in the triple whammy injury (ankle, foot, arm) to your star player, and others injured as well, and we saw what happened. Predicted 8-4 last year, ended at 7–5. This year predicting 9–3, which means if we have similar trajectory with injuries and southern unhospitality calls, we go 8–4. No injuries and some good bounces of the ball/calls and It’s as JR notes, we go 10–2.

Regardless, it is going to be a fun year starting with an early statement domination game tomorrow like the old days when we played FCS/Div 1AA opponents.

As for those young kids ridiculous projections, they don’t know shite! But that’s ok because “they just didn’t know”. Have fun, gentlemen and ladies, this is going to be an enjoyable season.

Last edited:
Yeah just nuts right. At the risk of blowing smoke up my own skirt exhibiting some trump level narcissism, because of my history in the sport, I have a knack for predicting these things. Including years and years ago, predicting in preseason that Rutgers and temple would beat us when they sucked and we were “good”. Seem to be always within a game on my progs.

Told everyone in my circle last year that we’d be be good. Telling everybody this year we’re going to be really good.

When we were interviewed last year before the first game at the SyraCruz tailgate on one of the television stations I said on camera “Syracuse will be the surprise team in the country this year” which was looking good at 6–0 and couple bad calls away (on slow Mo Clemson‘s QBs left foot was in bounds when he was hit) from 7–0 at Clemson, then who knows what happens.

I remember looking around as I was being interviewed seen some there laugh along with much pessimism amongst many regulars in my family and here.

Throw in the triple whammy injury (ankle, foot, arm) to your star player, and others injured as well, and we saw what happened. Predicted 8-4 last year, ended at 7–5. This year predicting 9–3, which means if we have similar trajectory with injuries and southern unhospitality calls, we go 8–4. No injuries and some good bounces of the ball/calls and It’s as JR notes, we go 10–2.

Regardless, it is going to be a fun year starting with an early statement domination game tomorrow like the old days when we played FCS/Div 1AA opponents.

As for those young kids ridiculous projections, they don’t know shite! But that’s ok because “they just didn’t know”. Have fun, gentlemen and ladies, this is going to be an enjoyable season.

I'm right there with you, Cuseregular. Earlier this week, I did a position-by-position breakdown of the squad, and the depth / quality pops at every positional unit [except for TE].

I understand the skepticism, but I expect this team to shatter expectations like what the DO reporters state. That's not orange-goggle optimism -- it's based upon personnel, improved depth, better OL personnel, and the depth we've built on the DL. Oh -- and it sure doesn't hurt to have a difference making QB leading the way.

As you state, it's going to be a fun year!

Let's Go Orange!!!

We won 7 last year with an easier schedule, but the DO avg is 5.3 Ws? Also 5.3 is well below the 6.5 betting line.

We won 7 last year with an easier schedule, but the DO avg is 5.3 Ws? Also 5.3 is well below the 6.5 betting line.
You think last year or this year is an easier schedule?

Whether the improved depth is enough to play well in November for once could be the key to whether we have a winning season or not.

October schedule is tough, so seems likely we’ll be right around .500 going into November.

A pretty good and deep team could sweep November though. Could be from 4-4 to 8-4.

Unfortunately our past November performances would probably lose all those games this year too. So hopefully the depth proves to be legit. Probably going to need Wilson to be good enough to win a couple games with(much like DeVito in 2018) if we’re going to have a good record, because Schrader takes the same pounding an RB takes.

The image the DO reporters see while looking at the chatter on this board:

1693585982964.gif

I meant easier this year. We traded Notre Dame at home and UConn on the road for Western Michigan and Army both at home.
Traded Purdue at home to Purdue on the road as well.

If we stay healthy and GS. plays the whole year at worst we go 6-6 we should beat Colgate - W. Mich. - Army and BC. lose to FL.ST. and UNC on the road then split 3-3 against Pitt. - Purdue. - VT. - GT. - WF. and Clem. Always remember this the members on this board know a HELL!!! of a lot more about this program than any 1/2 A$$ writer from the ( DO ) staff. My projection is 7-5 regular season with a bowl win to finish 8-5.

If we stay healthy and GS. plays the whole year at worst we go 6-6 we should beat Colgate - W. Mich. - Army and BC. lose to FL.ST. and UNC on the road then split 3-3 against Pitt. - Purdue. - VT. - GT. - WF. and Clem. Always remember this the members on this board know a HELL!!! of a lot more about this program than any 1/2 A$$ writer from the ( DO ) staff. My projection is 7-5 regular season with a bowl win to finish 8-5.
If GS is 5x5 for 12 games and they finish 6-6, I’ll fire Dino myself

Traded Purdue at home to Purdue on the road as well.
Even though it’s a road game at night on NBC this isn’t the same Jeff Brohm, Aiden O’Connell, Charlie Jones led team. They are almost unanimously picked 2nd to last in the B10 West just ahead of Northwestern. These are the type of P5 schools we should do home and homes with and we couldn’t ask for a better scenario.

We lost two excellent coordinators and a lot of quality in the secondary. Some people would debate Anae but I think he was quite good. I have full faith in Rocky but Beck has never held his current position.

When I look at the depth chart I'm definitely concerned with the secondary. I'm usually the 'we can win 8 games guy' and I still think that's possible but I'm tempering expectations until things get rolling

This schedule is set up for 10 wins, not sure the team is. Think 8-4 is a good target.

Start 4-0 go .500 rest of the way. Steal the Clemson game and it gets much easier.

Purdue is the key to an 8 win season

Clemson to a 10

As always: a bounce of a ball, a ref with a call or some injuries out of the stall will be huge factors in a 6-6 to 10-2 swings.

Lots of talent and depth though will help with the injuries depending on hard they hit, especially if the OL is hampered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom