• Hate it

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • It's okay

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • Never seen

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Honestly I never paid aqny mind to it until the marathon's. Usually when I heard Darren McGavin I thought of Lifetime type movies and moved on. Melinda Dillon though makes me melt.

I think the movie is very much a generational thing. Some of us can really identify with a lot of the movie.
My kids are like that, they were '80s kids. Back in my day Christmas TV meant "A Mr. Magoo's Christmas".

Never heard of it. (Seriously).

it is hilarious; according to Wikipedia:
Scrooged is a 1988 American comedy film, a modernization of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. The film was produced and directed by Richard Donner, and the cinematography was by Michael Chapman. The screenplay was written by Mitch Glazer and Michael O'Donoghue. The original music score was composed by Danny Elfman.
The cast includes Bill Murray, Karen Allen, Bobcat Goldthwait, John Forsythe, Carol Kane, John Houseman, and Robert Mitchum. Murray's brothers, Brian, John, and Joel also appear in the film.
The film was marketed with references to Ghostbusters which had been a great success four years earlier. In the USA, the tagline was, "Bill Murray is back among the ghosts, only this time, it's three against one."

Scrooged is a 1988 American comedy film, a modernization of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. The film was produced and directed by Richard Donner, and the cinematography was by Michael Chapman. The screenplay was written by Mitch Glazer and Michael O'Donoghue. The original music score was composed by Danny Elfman.
The cast includes Bill Murray, Karen Allen, Bobcat Goldthwait, John Forsythe, Carol Kane, John Houseman, and Robert Mitchum. Murray's brothers, Brian, John, and Joel also appear in the film.
The film was marketed with references to Ghostbusters which had been a great success four years earlier. In the USA, the tagline was, "Bill Murray is back among the ghosts, only this time, it's three against one."

Scrooged is absolutely a Holiday favorite for me. Especially love Carol Kane as The Ghost of Christmas Present. "The witch hit me with a toaster!"

And don't forget David Johansen of The New York Dolls. You may also know him as Buster Poindexter.

Fra-gi-le. Must be italian

that line never gets old.
Everytime I see a box marked "Fragile" I repeat that line. People look at me like I'm crazy. Mark me down as a fan.

Here are some of "A Christmas Story" best quotes. How can people say that they don't like the Double Dog Dare You, Triple Dog Dare you scene.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085334/quotes

My only negative observation about this movie (and some others as well, like one of my other favorites, Animal House) is that no way they were given four stars when they came out, but those negaive nancies have since realized their errors and have bestowed Hollywood's top honor upon them.

FGfl6SCX0AERRzw

I remember going to see it in the theater, thought it was great when I was a kid. I watched it a couple years ago and wasn't impressed. It's not the worst movie ever, but it's just OK...and people talk about it like its a classic.

Ha ha -- responding to a 10 year old post!

Similar for me -- I watched it for the first time when I was a kid, class trip where we went to the movies before the holidays. Liked it as a kid.

Don't think it's academy award material, but for me it is a "classic" in the sense that it is a throwback to childhood. My kids enjoy it now, so that's good enough.

And truth be told, I like it a LOT more than Elf, a more nuveaux holiday movie that many seem to love, but I can't stand. Also not a huge fan of Christmas Vacation [which is better than Elf and at least has it's moments, IMO].

Ha ha -- responding to a 10 year old post!

Similar for me -- I watched it for the first time when I was a kid, class trip where we went to the movies before the holidays. Liked it as a kid.

Don't think it's academy award material, but for me it is a "classic" in the sense that it is a throwback to childhood. My kids enjoy it now, so that's good enough.

And truth be told, I like it a LOT more than Elf, a more nuveaux holiday movie that many seem to love, but I can't stand. Also not a huge fan of Christmas Vacation [which is better than Elf and at least has it's moments, IMO].
I love the Christmas season and almost all Christmas movies, but Elf doesn't really do much for me either.

Love a Christmas story, enjoy elf, love Christmas vacation.

But if you haven’t seen it, give Fred Claus a spin. Vince Vaughn and Paul Giamati, along with predator Spacey.

Excellent movie.

It's an OK movie. It's certainly no Elf. I think a 24 hr marathon is a bit much though.

It's like 11 years later and it sucks even worse somehow. How does it just keep getting worse?

A Christmas Story is must see holiday TV! The 24 hour marathon is all about convenience not endurance!

I like all three movies in the series and I have several of Jean Shepard's books of shorts stories (the movies basically took a selection of the short stories and wove them together). Shepard not only narrated all of the movies but did a cameo in each one (In A Christmas Story, he was the guy telling Ralphie and Randy that the line to see Santa "starts back there")

So yeah, I'm a big fan. I always watch the DVD though and never turn on the marathon on TV.
Jean Shepard wrote a series of stories in Playboy back in the 60's. My favorite was "Wanda Hickey's night of Golden memories" which is about Ralphie going to his Junior Prom. I'd love to re-read it.

Wait what?? They are making a sequel? How could this be anything but an absolute disaster???

Wait what?? They are making a sequel? How could this be anything but an absolute disaster???
I'll be interested to watch, but I don't have high hopes either. Maybe I'll be surprised and it will be good with some of the original cast involved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom