A Couple Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

A Couple Thoughts

shandeezy7

Living Legend
Really tough game to watch last night. We were basically out of it from about the midway point of the first half, due to poor shooting and Cal's not-so-poor shooting.

I didn't think the defense was as bad as others have said. It wasn't great, but it wasn't a disaster either. Don't want to make this seem like a Cooney bashing session, but I hate the way he plays defense in the zone. He's constantly pinching down to defend the free throw line, even when there is no offensive player there. When there is an offensive player there, many times that player is just setting a screen on Cooney so he can't get out and defend the three point line. Either way, he's leaving shooters wide open that either remain open or force the wing to come up to defend and leave his man wide open in the corner.

As for the offense, what can you say? The poor shooting continues. And then when we try to get to the rim, we have guys just throwing up wild shots that either get blocked or clang off the backboard. You gotta hope that the poor shooting is just an early season thing and we will pick it up as the season goes along, because we are actually getting open looks. It also doesn't help that seemingly the only guy who can take his man off the dribble is Kaleb Joseph. And a lot of times when he does get by his man and into the lane, he's not sure what to do with it.

Really gotta improve the ball movement (thought it was pretty good against Hampton, just didn't make shots, again). Also, this team might need more set plays versus some of the more freewheeling stuff that JB likes to use on offense, due to the lack of guys able to beat their man one on one. I guess time will tell on whether this team can evolve and get better as the year goes on. Here's hoping that last night's performance was more about our youth than it was indicative of what this team is this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom