A few quick thoughts on JHU to the B10 and SU | Syracusefan.com

A few quick thoughts on JHU to the B10 and SU

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
A few quick thoughts on this.

1. JHU to the B1G is Zero surprise. As myself and a few others noted the B10 was the only viable destination for JHU as the ACC was never going to let a JHU be an associate member for a variety of reasons that have been touched on the past few weeks.

2. To me this move will be the final death knell for JHU as a dominant power. As PhatOrange noted in his post, JHU has won two titles since 1988 and hasn't been to the final four in 5+ years. Couple that with there abysmal attendance numbers and its clear there living more off of reputation then actual on the field success. Also just an FYI that note PhatOrange posted about JHU came from the Rutgers Board, even some of there fans realize this isnt the JHU of old.

3. SU will not drop JHU, its a rivalry game that SU will continue playing indefinitely.

4. There will have to be some changes to the SU schedule. With SU picking up Duke and UNC on a regular basis plus continuing the ND and UVA games year in and year out SU is going to need to make some schedule changes. SU has never ducked anyone and year in and year out has a top rated SOS. That all being said something has to give, SU needs a few sure fire wins on the schedule. A schedule of Duke, ND, UNC, UVA, Maryland (one year) Princeton, JHU, Cornell, etc is a bit much once you then add Albany, Army, and Hobart( who thinks every game against SU is the National Championship).

Syracuse has allready added Canisius for yearly play for the forseeable future, I would like to see them add at least 1-2 additional teams that you would consider a very favorable matchup. With all of the new upstart programs, ie Marquette, High Point, Michigan, Furman etc. Plus in state teams like Siena, Hofstra, and Stony Brook there are plenty of options for SU to pick up to balance out the schedule a bit. I am not advising we got the way of the Rutgers fball program and schedule Howard every week, but people need to be realistic, we cant run the gauntlet game in and game out.​

Agree that with the move to the ACC, we've got to lighten the schedule up a bit given we will still likely play JHU and Princeton every year on top of the brutal ACC schedule. Adding Canisius is smart and I don't see them dropping Hobart any time soon as well given the proximity and long tenured history of that rivalry. With that said, I do think we need to think twice about continuing the series with Cornell and Albany. I like the idea of adding some other MAAC teams like Marist, Sienna, Manhattan or even Detroit. I'd also look at Stoney Brook and Bingo. As for Army, I think you keep playing them just because of who they are and what they represent. Yes, they bring their A game every time we play them but I really think it's special to play those guys.

Agree that with the move to the ACC, we've got to lighten the schedule up a bit given we will still likely play JHU and Princeton every year on top of the brutal ACC schedule. Adding Canisius is smart and I don't see them dropping Hobart any time soon as well given the proximity and long tenured history of that rivalry. With that said, I do think we need to think twice about continuing the series with Cornell and Albany. I like the idea of adding some other MAAC teams like Marist, Sienna, Manhattan or even Detroit. I'd also look at Stoney Brook and Bingo. As for Army, I think you keep playing them just because of who they are and what they represent. Yes, they bring their A game every time we play them but I really think it's special to play those guys.

Going to be hard to drop a team like Albany or Cornell from the schedule. History aside both of the schools are a close proximity to SU and have been on the schedule for awhile now. Of the two you could make a case for dropping Albany even though the second we do there fans (the few they have) will claim its because we dont want to play the Thompsons again. Truth be told after next year Albany will be right back to the mid tier program they have always been. Both Ty and Lyle Thompson are Seniors next year, I dont care how good Myles Thompson is, good luck doing it alone.

With SU allready playing UVA and ND every year they should have two spots open up that should be filled by the teams you listed ie Marist, Hofstra, Stony Brook etc. I do wonder though if between Princeton, Cornell, ALbany, and Hobart if one of them has to be the sacrificial lamb. To be honest I wouldnt care if we dropped Albany or Princeton. Hobart is usually a guaranteed W and Cornell has become a great local rivalry. Though I dont see how Cornell could be a tough opponent next year based on the fact they graduate nearly there entire team.

We're not dropping Cornell, and Albany and Army are guaranteed home games every season (like Canisius).

Besides, the Thompsons won't be there forever.

Maybe we add Colgate back.

And I'm sure we'll have a neutral site game in B'More or Philly or MetLife every season against somebody.

We're not dropping Cornell, and Albany and Army are guaranteed home games every season (like Canisius).

Besides, the Thompsons won't be there forever.

Maybe we add Colgate back.

And I'm sure we'll have a neutral site game in B'More or Philly or MetLife every season against somebody.

Yeah I pretty much agree withe all of that, see my post above about the Thompsons and ALbany. Colgate might be an interesting opp to add back. Still I would like to see SU add at least 1 more cupcake.

I see us continuing the Big City Classic game for some time with at least another if not two of our ACC mates (ND and some combo of Duke, UNC, or UVA). I can see the BiG trying to hone in on this deal in the near future with PSU, OSU, UMD or Michigan the obvious candidates. They can bring Rutgers to sell hot dogs in the parking lots.

Princeton goes before Cornell, Albany goes before Army. Hobart isn't going anywhere on SUs schedule. Need midweek games, Cornell and Hobart are the easiest to fill those spots along with Canisius. Jeremy is on the money, Cornell and Albany are primed to take steps back to mediocrity in the next couple years. I really dislike the idea of adding Colgate, there is no history or benefit to playing them. Need to have games in spots we need to get recruits from, Philly and Long Island. That is why I consistently have lobbied for games against Villanova (post big east) and either Stony Brook or Hofstra. Get to let those kid see the cuse up close and personal, plus visit with some local coaches and prospects. I also think adding a new program is a good idea, either Michigan for the publicity or High Point on a weekend trip to Duke or Carolina.

I see us continuing the Big City Classic game for some time with at least another if not two of our ACC mates (ND and some combo of Duke, UNC, or UVA). I can see the BiG trying to hone in on this deal in the near future with PSU, OSU, UMD or Michigan the obvious candidates. They can bring Rutgers to sell hot dogs in the parking lots.
I would not be surprised to see inside lacrosse make these "classics" conference show downs. Big city classic featuring ivy vs ACC...faceoff classic featuring ACC vs big ten

. Need to have games in spots we need to get recruits from, Philly and Long Island. That is why I consistently have lobbied for games against Villanova (post big east) and either Stony Brook or Hofstra. Get to let those kid see the cuse up close and personal, plus visit with some local coaches and prospects. I also think adding a new program is a good idea, either Michigan for the publicity or High Point on a weekend trip to Duke or Carolina.

Agreed and I wouldn't mind keeping Nova but wonder why we also don't add Penn (or even Drexel) every once in a while. Seems like the last time we played Penn was about 8-10 yrs. ago.

Playing Penn or Drexel would be a great idea, ditto for a downstate team like Hofstra or Stony Brook. There is nothign wrong with a couple lesser teams to balance out the schedule.

Obviously, not including Maryland long term our games should be for now 4 ACC games, Canisius, Albany, which are two automatic home games. Then add Cornell/Princeton one at home and the other away. Hobart an easy local game that is nine games. While I would prefer dropping Hopkins we probably won't that is 10. Then we should sprinkle in Villanova, Colgate, UMass, one of Loyola/Georgetown. That is a top 5 SOS each year and gives the program a good challenge before an ACC Tournament and then the NCAA Tournament. Having a 6th ACC game allows the program some wiggle room to win the automatic bid if we have a season last year every 5 or 10 years or so.

Obviously, not including Maryland long term our games should be for now 4 ACC games, Canisius, Albany, which are two automatic home games. Then add Cornell/Princeton one at home and the other away. Hobart an easy local game that is nine games. While I would prefer dropping Hopkins we probably won't that is 10. Then we should sprinkle in Villanova, Colgate, UMass, one of Loyola/Georgetown. That is a top 5 SOS each year and gives the program a good challenge before an ACC Tournament and then the NCAA Tournament. Having a 6th ACC game allows the program some wiggle room to win the automatic bid if we have a season last year every 5 or 10 years or so.

You forgot Army.

You forgot Army.
Your correct scratch UMass and put Army because as you have mentioned they are like Albany, Canisius and will always give us a Dome home game.

Will be interesting to see whether BC eventually adds lacrosse.

Providence is another possibility as a cupcake kind of team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom