A few stats for our four most important scorers through 5 games | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

A few stats for our four most important scorers through 5 games

He put on too much bulk. Its affecting his shooting. Also whats with his stoke?? at the apex of his shot, his offhand is ON TOP of the ball. Very odd
I've played around with having my hand on top of the ball. You can add resistance and increase your range, but he doesn't need it, particularly from the college line. I don't remember him doing that in high school or even last year. He definitely should bring his release down a bit and put his off hand to the side of the ball. His form is mostly good.

I thought I read something where Gmac worked with him to change his form a bit in the offseason. Maybe they should have done that with JJ instead.

Posters close to Red claim we aren’t executing what was installed which I guess is a completely different problem.
I have no inside information but it looks to me that what Red is trying to install is the Villanova style 4 out, 1 in offense. While there are various wrinkles to this offense, the most basic concept requires players to go screen away from the ball when they reverse it to open up double gaps in the defense to make penetration easier. This is such a simple concept, and when Cuse executes it, space is created for guys like Judah or JJ to get downhill towards the basket. The problem I’ve seen is two-fold. One, too many times the players reverse the ball and just stand in place, creating no space or gaps for the defense to have to defend. Judah is a huge offender of this. It takes a level of selflessness to go away from the hall because it means you aren’t as likely to get it back, but it is a requirement for this offense to work. Second, this offense is predicated on having versatile players who can attack off the dribble AND shoot. Right now we have guys that can either only attack off the dribble which allows defenders to play off them and in the gaps, or guys who can only shoot (which they haven’t done consistently) which allows defenders to fly at them without the concern of being blown by. The old JJ would have been perfect in this offense…crazy what has happened to his jump shot since HS. Some have said ND screwed it up, and I know his shoulder injuries played a part, but to me his shot looks worse since he got to Syracuse. On a side note, has anyone else noticed how so many of our guys shoot differently from rep to rep? Starling (sometimes brings the ball way out in front of him before bringing it up), Judah (sometimes turns sideways and his wrist does as well), Justin (sometimes brings the ball too far back behind his head which gives the defender extra time to challenge the shot), cuffe (sometimes starts his shot to the left side of his face like Lonzo Ball), and Benny (sometimes his shot has no arc at all) all seem to lack consistency in their releases. Alarming for such talented and high level players.

Here's the thing about Taylor - he's not passing up shots. I know a lot of people want him to be more aggressive, but it's not like he's open all the time and just not letting it fly.

He has a hard time getting open, especially against better competition. You can see him working for it and trying to get to spots, it just doesn't result in good looks. I don't know if it's speed, I don't know if it's athleticism, I don't know if it's court sense, but for whatever reason it's rare that Taylor is in position for good looks, especially relative to Bell. Bell shoots a lot but they aren't bad shots. He just gets open. Taylor shooting more means he's probably forcing himself to take a lot more difficult shots. I'm not sure that's great for the offense either.
Too much discussion about Taylor and Bell. Not enough about our shooting guard shooting .067% from 3.

.067%!

Ridiculous.

A dead man could do just as well.

One of the biggest things I have seen a few times that I haven't seen discussed yet (maybe it has but I just haven't seen it) is the relationship between Bell and Taylor. When they are both on the court together, you see Taylor trying to get the ball to Bell but you never see Bell getting the ball to Taylor. Not sure if Bell views him as competition and doesn't feed him on purpose or if he is just to selfish and looking to score every time he has the ball. I think there is a huge opportunity here for the offense if they start looking for each other.

One of the biggest things I have seen a few times that I haven't seen discussed yet (maybe it has but I just haven't seen it) is the relationship between Bell and Taylor. When they are both on the court together, you see Taylor trying to get the ball to Bell but you never see Bell getting the ball to Taylor. Not sure if Bell views him as competition and doesn't feed him on purpose or if he is just to selfish and looking to score every time he has the ball. I think there is a huge opportunity here for the offense if they start looking for each other.

They are usually on opposite sides of the court. Until yesterday I was more concerned with Judah not getting the ball to JT but he would with Bell. If Bell has a shot he’s gonna take it. That’s his role and what they want him to do.

Too much discussion about Taylor and Bell. Not enough about our shooting guard shooting .067% from 3.

.067%!

Ridiculous.
Well, there is no question, that has to change and change for the better. He shot about 30% last year. Also not quite good enough. Hopefully he can get back to at least that number.

Geez, whatever the least generous interpretation we can make of Bell, let's do that as the starting assumption, I guess.

They are usually on opposite sides of the court. Until yesterday I was more concerned with Judah not getting the ball to JT but he would with Bell. If Bell has a shot he’s gonna take it. That’s his role and what they want him to do.
I agree but that cross court pass could really open things up.

Geez, whatever the least generous interpretation we can make of Bell, let's do that as the starting assumption, I guess.
1700760048825.png

his game isn't necessarily to get assists but he can improve on these numbers if he chooses too. Combine this with what people have described as arrogance in his presses and you draw what ever inference you want.

View attachment 233589
his game isn't necessarily to get assists but he can improve on these numbers if he chooses too. Combine this with what people have described as arrogance in his presses and you draw what ever inference you want.
I agree that Bell has lots of room to improve his overall game, and we need him to develop into a more well-rounded player.

For whatever reason though there is a trend on the board by some to sometimes attribute his shortcomings on the court with shortcomings in his personality, and there really aren't grounds for that.

Well, there is no question, that has to change and change for the better. He shot about 30% last year. Also not quite good enough. Hopefully he can get back to at least that number.
It’s not going to happen, but my eye tells me JJ should be the point and Judah the 2. If this lack of shooting continues I think Cuffe could eat into some of JJ’s minutes.

View attachment 233589

FWIW, I watched his one presser and I don’t think he was arrogant at all.

I agree that Bell has lots of room to improve his overall game, and we need him to develop into a more well-rounded player.

For whatever reason though there is a trend on the board by some to sometimes attribute his shortcomings on the court with shortcomings in his personality, and there really aren't grounds for that.
My complaints about Bell have nothing to do with attitude. Don' t watch press conferences, so could care less what was said.
He needs to be more then just a shooter, needs to rebound, and learn how to pass if someone is open. The last game he actually got a few rebounds, that's a start.

My complaints about Bell have nothing to do with attitude. Don' t watch press conferences, so could care less what was said.
He needs to be more then just a shooter, needs to rebound, and learn how to pass if someone is open. The last game he actually got a few rebounds, that's a start.

It was nice he got 5 last night but I don’t stress his low rebounding numbers. Defensively since we play m2m, he guards someone on the wing vs JT (who does a great job) who is playing the 4 and is usually in the lane area. Offensively, Bell is the only player that is always outside the 3 point line. That’s where Red wants him. So rebounds are going to be minimized.

Then you're not one of the people I was talking about.

It’s not going to happen, but my eye tells me JJ should be the point and Judah the 2. If this lack of shooting continues I think Cuffe could eat into some of JJ’s minutes.
Well, if he doesn't start hitting some 3's, something will have to be done. Still time.

I watched the pressers as well and came away thinking Bell was fine too. The big difference between comments he made versus Judah was that Bell was talking more about the team. I actually liked what he said - it showed me he's more confident than what I thought and belief in the team is high.

Judah has not come across very well (at least to me). In the first presser, he essentially said that Tennessee didn't make it hard on him - it was all on him, not the D. Then after the Gonzaga game, he said that Tennessee's defense was better than Gonzaga - this right after us getting beat down. He also said that the issue right now is in the post, not the guard positions. JJ on the other hand came across much different and seems like a good teammate.

So much of the focus lately has been on Benny (and rightfully so) but if you have your best player really not accepting responsibility for any shortcomings, that might be a problem.

Taylor has a true jump shot and a high release. He can get it off but it’s slow and I see him fading a lot right now. Ideally we run him off down screens like we used to do with Andy, but that requires great body control and he was a master at getting square. He’s clearly got good size and strength and it would be great if he had more of a post up game to shoot from 10’ or so.

On the other side, Bell is a set shooter with a much faster release. He’s the guy that should be getting catch and shoot looks, which is happening, often from the baseline where he has had success. Unfortunately it’s been extremely streaky.

100% agree. Taylor's slow release has been a problem. Of course, it's only really been a problem against two top 10 teams.

When we play D's that are going to stick to him like that and not have to leave him to double team Judah or JJ, then he's just not going to score a lot.

He put on too much bulk. Its affecting his shooting. Also whats with his stoke?? at the apex of his shot, his offhand is ON TOP of the ball. Very odd
He's not bulky and there are guys way bulkier than him that shoot just fine. Adding bulk does not make you a bad shooter unless you stop shooting while adding the bulk. I don't understand why the false notion that adding muscle suddenly keeps you from being able to move keeps making the rounds on this board.

Jordan became a better shooter when he got bigger. Karl Malone was huge and made a living shooting 19 footers. Melo was a skinny 185 lb kid when we first recruited him and added 30-40 lbs before getting to campus without losing his shot.

That's good to know. I didn't watch them when he was speaking, I was simply going off of the discussions on here.

Yes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom