A few things we've learned | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

A few things we've learned

i think you guys are selling bourama short. he's played all 9 games thus far and looked healthy and mobile. what he does for the zone on the defensive end is his biggest contribution right now, even though the blocks haven't come yet. but he's been pretty good offensively this year, too. the virginia game was a mess and puts a big question mark on him . . . but on most of his team mates as well.

he looks like he's going to be a 20-25 mpg player this year, usually closer to the lower bound.
his per 21 minutes in italy were 11 pts, 15 rebs, 3 blocks on 57% shooting
in the exhibitions, they were 5. 9 and 1 on 67% shooting
thus far in the regular season, he is 7, 7 and 1 on 90% shooting.
throw out the uva game (i know, i know) and he's 9.5 , 10 and 1. and he's made 8 straight field goal attempts

i get it that people are concerned because of his injury history, but he's been playing solid, healthy, unhindered ball for 4 months now. maybe think about easing up on the negativity bias.

I want very little time with Marek at the five. He will get punished playing there. He’s more effective on the wing with his rotations and anticipation. Sidibe has been good in the middle and is our best rebounder. I wish JB would rotate Hughes to the backcourt to give Buddy a breather. This allows Guerrier more time upfront.

Girard makes everyone better. Anytime you have a player who shoots 4 for 5 or 5 for 5 from 3 changes everything. Every player on the team becomes much better because the other team has to focus their attention on the shooter. We will probably see one of our opponents use a box and 1 before season is over!

It doesn't end there -- he pushes the tempo, moves the ball quickly, looks to create for teammates and plays with fire. Those are all important things outside of that shooting. Huge player for us even if he's not going to put up 24 points n eight shots every night.

i think you guys are selling bourama short. he's played all 9 games thus far and looked healthy and mobile. what he does for the zone on the defensive end is his biggest contribution right now, even though the blocks haven't come yet. but he's been pretty good offensively this year, too. the virginia game was a mess and puts a big question mark on him . . . but on most of his team mates as well.

he looks like he's going to be a 20-25 mpg player this year, usually closer to the lower bound.
throw out the uva game (i know, i know) and he's 9.5 , 10 and 1. and he's made 8 straight field goal attempts

i get it that people are concerned because of his injury history, but he's been playing solid, healthy, unhindered ball for 4 months now. maybe think about easing up on the negativity bias.

Agreed. If he's putting up something like 7 and 6 and playing decent defense in 20-25 mins, that's a huge boon for this team. Not sure why that's so hard for people to see. Is he a perfect guy in the pivot? not necessarily but you need someone there and we're much better off if it's Sidibe for 20+, Edwards for 5 mins or so and Marek for 12-15 than we are if it's marek for 25+.

Agreed. If he's putting up something like 7 and 6 and playing decent defense in 20-25 mins, that's a huge boon for this team. Not sure why that's so hard for people to see. Is he a perfect guy in the pivot? not necessarily but you need someone there and we're much better off if it's Sidibe for 20+, Edwards for 5 mins or so and Marek for 12-15 than we are if it's marek for 25+.
if boo is getting 7 and 7 in 20 mpg (as he is right now), then we are probably getting a double double from the center position most nights. and some nights, he is going to provide that double double all by himself, even in limited time. last 2 games he's 9.5/10 in 23.5 mpg

with jgiii and marek looking for him and getting him the ball in the place he wants it, it is not a stretch at all to think he can maintain or even exceed a 7 and 7 average

Last edited:
Buddy is a little more Janulis than he is Rautins
People might hate this but if there's a sliding scale with Janulis (good player but mostly a shooter) on one end and Rautins (all-BE guard who was a factor on both ends of the floor and a really good passer) on the other, Buddy skews a bit more toward Janulis.
His lateral quickness and foot speed are slow on the defensive end. He makes up for it to a degree with good anticipation and hustle, but he's still working to get to average on that end of the floor.
Offensively he has more to his game than Janulis -- more range, more handle, more ability to make a play going to the basket -- but he's not great at finding a teammate off the dribble, his passing is average and he's not quite the factor in usettled situations that Rautins was.

Again, want to make clear that I'm not hammering buddy. Janulis was a kid who started 114 games in his career, was one of the most consistent shooters we have ever had here and played in a national title game. AND, Buddy is better. But the Rautins comparisons ... just not sure I see that in his game.

Well, Buddy is ahead of Rautins at a similar stage - so far he's about a year ahead of Rautins' development, and is only a sophomore who might be playing a few minutes more than an ideal amount.

I just re-watched the Seattle game, mostly to get a closer look at the Joe Girard show, but I couldn't help but notice that Buddy was just not on his game at all. His defense, honestly, was terrible. He has to do better than that. Girard was a bit of a liability defensively at the top of the zone, too. Seriously, his guy scored about 4 possessions out of five at one point early in the 2nd half. Yes, they got hot shooting, but mostly it was over his head, his close out responsibility.

Now, Joe did a very good job running the offense and pushing things. He's still very raw and learning on the job, but if Carey doesn't go in the tank and transfer in December, I still think he could be an important part of this team for his defense at the top of the zone. He really does cut off driving lanes, has great lateral movement and long arms for a guard. He tips a lot of passes, and plays the bounce pass and those low passes well. Those can be hard to defend.

Buddy and Girard will work for 20-25 minutes a game in the ACC. We will need quicker defenders out there against teams like Louisville, UNC, Florida State, and similar teams who have guys who are strong on the drive.

But wow, Girard "gets" what it is to be a PG better than anybody but Howard Washington. Those 2 guys are our actual PGs. Goodine and Carey (who I hope apologizes for whatever he might have said to get the public benching) are athletic guys with good height for guards.
I kind of hoped that these guys would have been good enough to start for us, and then letter Buddy and Girard come off the bench and bomb away, like those bench guys from Notre Dame always seem to do to us. That was my hope, but Carey is just hurrying too much and is too unsure of his dribble.

Goodine is growing into a guard rotation role with his stop-and-go dribble moves and decent outside shot. Maybe he'll be good enough to earn some minutes at the point. I liked what I saw of Girard and Goodine together out there. They look like they have chemistry. Goodine would help offset Girard's relative lack of height, although you can't completely hide him out there in the zone. But with a quicker guard than Boeheim, that pair work better defensively. We're still going to need 5 minutes of Howard Washington if Carey doesn't make it back into the rotation. Washington and Boeheim might be a decent change of pace from Boeheim and Girard.

I agree right now with your premise that Buddy is closer to Janulis defensively than he is to Rautins at this time. He really has to work on his lateral quickness. He got so much stronger over the summer, how is it possible that he's a step slower? But that's how it looks so far. As they say in English soccer - "He doesn't look match fit yet."

Italy was weak competition, but he played quality kids in HS in NJ and held his own against some top shelf talent.
If he gets 8 and 8, he will be outstanding. 6 and 6 is solid and acceptable.

If you go back historically and look at our center production, those are the kinds of numbers you'll see.

Goodine will end up being a star. He has as much upside as anyone on the team. I thought Buddy played ok D. He is never going to be a fast player but he is big and physical with excellent anticipation.
Sid is the key to our season. As he goes the team will go. Im encouraged as he looks to be in good health. He has good hands and vision and seems to find the ball well which is critical for any good rebounder.
He is one of those players that needs to get into the flow of a game early. If im JB i would force feed him early each game. Script plays for him as his game elevates to a higher level once he gets a few touches. Anyway
IMHOP Sid holds the key to our season.

Buddy and Girard will work for 20-25 minutes a game in the ACC. We will need quicker defenders out there against teams like Louisville, UNC, Florida State, and similar teams who have guys who are strong on the drive.

One of the best things about good outside shooting is eliminates fast-break points from teams having guards who are superior to ours athletically. Once we make a basket it gives us an extra second or two to get back on defense which is huge when playing a 2-3 zone. It's like a 2-to-1 point swing in terms of time at each end. I will take a 34-32 victory over any of the teams you listed! Winning this way is like JB's nose. It does not have to be pretty to get Julie!

I just love that we aren't talking about marek and jesse splitting duties at the 5 right now (knock on wood). Sidibe maybe not be a crowd pleasing above the rim finisher, but he's been pretty solid thus far. Happy for him too, good to see him healthy.

But wow, Girard "gets" what it is to be a PG better than anybody but Howard Washington. Those 2 guys are our actual PGs. Goodine and Carey (who I hope apologizes for whatever he might have said to get the public benching) are athletic guys with good height for guards.

For over 10 years now we've had the taller longer point-guard theory at the top of the zone. I don't think the results have been that great. I'd like to see us return back to having 6'0" to 6'2" point-guards with great ball handing and shooting skills. Shifting well at the at the top of the zone to guard against 3s requires a huge effort regardless of PG size.

For over 10 years now we've had the taller longer point-guard theory at the top of the zone. I don't think the results have been that great. I'd like to see us return back to having 6'0" to 6'2" point-guards with great ball handing and shooting skills. Shifting well at the at the top of the zone to guard against 3s requires a huge effort regardless of PG size.

Yeah, 2 Final Fours in a decade, as compared to our more typical 1 FF / decade, definitely equals results that are not that great. :rolleyes:

One of the best things about good outside shooting is eliminates fast-break points from teams having guards who are superior to ours athletically. Once we make a basket it gives us an extra second or two to get back on defense which is huge when playing a 2-3 zone. It's like a 2-to-1 point swing in terms of time at each end. I will take a 34-32 victory over any of the teams you listed! Winning this way is like JB's nose. It does not have to be pretty to get Julie!

Go back and watch the Seattle game again, especially the second half. Buddy and Girard could not defend the top of the zone. People drove by Buddy, in particular, almost every single time. People just shot over Girard. Go back and look. We won the game, but their defense up top was ugly. It will not stand up to better teams.

Yeah, 2 Final Fours in a decade, as compared to our more typical 1 FF / decade, definitely equals results that are not that great.

I think I would rather have short point guards who are better shooters. Learning how to shift at the top of the zone requires huge amounts of practice and athleticism. Shooting on the other my be more a God given talent.

Go back and watch the Seattle game again, especially the second half. Buddy and Girard could not defend the top of the zone. People drove by Buddy, in particular, almost every single time. People just shot over Girard. Go back and look. We won the game, but their defense up top was ugly. It will not stand up to better teams.

I don't access to the games yet so I can't follow your suggestion.

My hope is Girard becomes a really good top of the zone defender. I really want to see the orange have his 3 point shooting special powers on the court on offense.

I think there will be teams that will take advantage of us up there but I get where others are coming from too in the sense that we've had some long guards who've been monsters defensively -- rautins and mcw in particular -- but others that have been fine but not major difference makers. Battle and Frank were good but were we great defensively last year? I feel like we were solid but not good enough that it off-set our brutal offensive struggles.

As for this pair in particular I think Buddy is struggling up there and I'm sure players will shoot over Girard, but they do have good instincts and that will lead to turnovers and fast breaks/secondary breaks. We've had none of those the past two seasons.

There's a reality in today's game that almost all teams have 4-5 guys on the floor at all times who can score and, in most cases, shoot. It's tough to play a team with 4 shooters, let's say, and cover that ground no matter how tall your guards are. And players are shooting from DEEP on the reg, which is tough too.

For me, at the end of the day, you need to make shooters move their feet. Standing still, shooting from 30 isn't much different for a lot these guys than shooting from 22. Covering that type of ground flawlessly all game is difficult in any defense and with almost any personnel.

That's a long way of saying, to me, I'd be surprised if we don't struggle at times defensively but I'd also be surprised if we didn't offset that more effectively with solid offense this season.

Part of that was strategy. The 7 or 8 in a row they made in the second half was a fluke. They were at about 10 percent before that for the season in 4.5 games.

i've watched it twice, i disagree. buddy's not supposed to stay in front of his man all the way to the basket, he's supposed to funnel him into the second line of defense. the lapses that he & joe did make were getting sucked in too deep & couldn't recover on the kick back out to a shooter. also, joe went under screens a few times. there was not a single made three shot right over joe, other than the time he went under a screen.

but that was all in the first 10-12 minutes or so of the half. they tightened it up well the final 8 minutes

As for this pair in particular I think Buddy is struggling up there and I'm sure players will shoot over Girard, but they do have good instincts and that will lead to turnovers and fast breaks/secondary breaks. We've had none of those the past two seasons.

As much as I don't want to be a "Buddy Basher" (I'm not, I was one of his earliest fans, early freshman year),

BUT - is it just me, or does he look a step slower so far this year? That's what I'm going to be watching for tomorrow night: can he stay in front of his man at the top of the zone?

Because when you speak of having the instincts to play an effective floor game, you have to have a baseline ability to use those instincts to put you in the right place to make a play. You can sag off the guy a bit - especially in a zone! - to make sure a guy doesn't drive by you. I must have counted 4 times that Buddy was behind his guy, trying to still make a play on the guy who just went by him down the middle of the lane.
Most of the time, those kind of plays are going to be called fouls, and he won't be on the floor.

Seriously, I think he was more mobile last year, and whatever exercise he needs to do, he better start doing it, so by January, every ACC guard in the league won't be dribbling into the guts of our zone this year.

i've watched it twice, i disagree.
(1) buddy's not supposed to stay in front of his man all the way to the basket,
(2) he's supposed to funnel him into the second line of defense.

(3) but that was all in the first 10-12 minutes or so of the half. they tightened it up well the final 8 minutes

(1) A: Of course not - his number one job is to keep the dribbler out of the lane

(2) A: I strongly disagree - that gets your bigs in easy foul trouble, and it allows the dribbler to "option" the center, to borrow a football concept.

(3) A: I agree, it was awful early, and some of that was hot shooting, but getting beat on the dribble over and over is not just hot shooting. I get that you have to come out on the hot guy, but after you've been beat a couple times by your guy, don't bite on the shot fake and play an extra step off of him.

(1) A: Of course not - his number one job is to keep the dribbler out of the lane

(2) A: I strongly disagree - that gets your bigs in easy foul trouble, and it allows the dribbler to "option" the center, to borrow a football concept.

(3) A: I agree, it was awful early, and some of that was hot shooting, but getting beat on the dribble over and over is not just hot shooting. I get that you have to come out on the hot guy, but after you've been beat a couple times by your guy, don't bite on the shot fake and play an extra step off of him.
i'm willing to reassess whether a couple of those plays were not within the structure of the defense, but "getting beat off the dribble over and over" is a gross exageration

i'm willing to reassess whether a couple of those plays were not within the structure of the defense, but "getting beat off the dribble over and over" is a gross exageration

Go watch the second half again. I think you'll be surprised at how often it happened.

Remember, I wasn't looking for a hit job on Buddy; I wanted to take another look at Girard's second half, and I couldn't help but notice.

Go watch the second half again. I think you'll be surprised at how often it happened.

Remember, I wasn't looking for a hit job on Buddy; I wanted to take another look at Girard's second half, and I couldn't help but notice.
i've watched it twice. you are grossly overstating it. it's a clear case of confirmation bias on your part

i still think you over stated the problem in the seattle game, i am definitely with you tonight. cornell attacked buddy's side repeatedly, with success

Unfortunately my prediction is Buddy is going to be the scapegoat when we lose the next 3 years regardless of how he plays. It is just going to be an extension to criticize the coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom