A few things we've learned | Syracusefan.com

A few things we've learned

billsin01

All American
So it's only three games in and the competition level has been hard to determine to some extent (we know UVA is good but are they top 10 good? Colgate was great at the end of last year and returns a bunch of guys but didn't look all that impressive and Seattle was supposed to be a tomato can and probably is but I thought they had some players and moved the ball well offensively).

Having said that, we've still learned some things about a team that, to me at least, was a pretty significant mystery to start the season. So what have we learned?

Girard is a player
Might as well start with the big one. It'd be easy to point to his ridiculous game Saturday but honestly the questions I had were defense (height and quickness) and taking care of the basketball (handle and getting used to the speed of the game passing the ball). Saw him do ok but struggle a bit with these the one time I saw him in that Capitol Classic all-star game. The kid not only been solid these aspects but he's actually brought A TON of energy defensively and taken really good care of the ball offensively -- particularly when you consider he seems to be involved somehow in about 75% of our buckets.

He's got 6 TOs in three games (72 minutes), which is not incredible, but playing the point in your first game as a frosh against UVA and only turning it over twice is solid, he was great against Colgate and one of his TOs, IIRC, against Seattle was when he got tied up after a steal. Another was when he went baseline and may have made the wrong decision on the pass (he had someone open on the wing for three but tried to feed I Sidibe I think in the paint) but I actually thought Sidibe just wasn't ready for the pass. If he was, he might have had an easy layup (though the pass was a little hot). He's really done a nice job there with only a couple careless passes.

I've always loved when we've had gaurds that disrupted other team's flow offensively. Hart, Rautins and MCW were the best but Waiters and GMac were pests, Scoop could bother teams, etc. Girard anticipates so well and plays so aggressively that he's a big factor on that end of the floor even if his rotations aren't perfect.

Offensively the tempo picks up when he's in and he makes plays for others as well as for himself. The GMac comparisons are inevitable but, in this case, I actually sort of agree. He's a guy people are going to love and he gives us punch offensively which we desperately need.

How this all translates into ACC play remains something of a question b/c he wasn't nearly as big a factor vs. UVA but I don't think it's an overreaction to be excited about what he's looked like. If you figure we only topped 80 points five times last season and only scored more than 89 once (95 points miraculously against Duke in mid-January), it's got to be a good sign to score that many points regardless of opponent.

The rotation is starting to work itself out
It's an annual rite of passage to complain about the rotation and get bitter about whomever is getting 'Boeheimed' but it seems like a pretty logical setup at the moment. Consider:
  • JBA (redshirting), Washington, Braswell and Carey (at least for now) are out. The JBA decision makes sense so long as Sidibe is relatively healthy and he's behind Edwards. Not sure where he'd get minutes. Same goes for Braswell. I love the kid and would love to see him get some minutes (and I hope we play well enough that he does in some of these games) but if Sidibe is healthy it pushes Marek to the 4 and creates a tough spot for Bras b/c Guerrier, Hughes and Marek are all potentially 25+ mpg type guys. Girard emerging a PG pushes Washington down to third on the depth chart there adn while he's capable I'm not sure he brings quite enough to the table to unseat Girard/Goodine. Carey may work his way back in particularly if Goodine has some growing pains. He may also be completely done. Not sure, but if he comes back I would think it's more as a 2 and I would guess that they are working with him more in that capacity going forward.

• The three frosh are the bench and may be the key to this team. Nice outing from Guerrier Saturday and he's probably the no. 1 option off the bench at this point. You can certainly see what the staff liked about him and I would guess his role will expand as he proves he can handle it. 14 FTs against Colgate is no joke regardless of opponent. Goodine is a baby deer at this point and needs to get more comfortable offensively but he's a pest defensively. The hope with Edwards will be that he can play well enough to potentially give us a couple 3-minute stretches each half. Gives Marek more time at the 4 while giving Sidibe a breather and hopefully managing his minutes a bit. Loved the play Saturday where he grabbed a board and outletted the ball to Girard as he was landing to start a fastbreak. Really nice instincts on that play. That said he'll have to improve to hold down this role in big ACC games.

• Hughes, Buddy, Girard, Marek and Sidibe will get big minutes. Goes without saying, really.
Our pace overall and our movement in the halfcourt is drastically improved.
Again, probably a question of how much this translates vs. P5 and/or tougher opponents but even so, this team has much more flow than the last couple. Girard always wants to push and is dangerous in that scenario. Even Buddy has made some plays in the secondary break. Hughes had a bad early-shot clock heave at one point but I'm really fine with it as a general rule seeing how slow we've played in the past.

The little play we run with the two screens on the low block to hit a curling Hughes/Marek is, in and of itself, more actual offense than we ran all year last season. We've put up 38 assists in the past two games -- we did that only once all year last year (it was when we put up 39 assists in mid-Jan against pitt and miami, back-to-back).

One thing I'd love to see, as a nitpick, is a few more lobs at times. We feed guys around the basket but then the guy who receives that pass has to gather and finish. That feels like it could just be a lob to a layup or dunk at times. Guerrier was saying that to Hughes, I think, at one point.

We are a very different offensive team. That's good news even if I'm not sure yet how many wins that will actually translate to.

Buddy is a little more Janulis than he is Rautins
People might hate this but if there's a sliding scale with Janulis (good player but mostly a shooter) on one end and Rautins (all-BE guard who was a factor on both ends of the floor and a really good passer) on the other, Buddy skews a bit more toward Janulis. His lateral quickness and foot speed are slow on the defensive end. He makes up for it to a degree with good anticipation and hustle, but he's still working to get to average on that end of the floor. Offensively he has more to his game than Janulis -- more range, more handle, more ability to make a play going to the basket -- but he's not great at finding a teammate off the dribble, his passing is average and he's not quite the factor in usettled situations that Rautins was.

Again, want to make clear that I'm not hammering buddy. Janulis was a kid who started 114 games in his career, was one of the most consistent shooters we have ever had here and played in a national title game. AND, buddy is better. But the rautins comparisons ... just not sure I see that in his game.

Rebounding will be a problem
Nothing new or earth-shattering here but we struggle to rebound. I guess we beat seattle on the boards but it was close. Going to take a team effort here and hoping Guerrier can play himself into more of a role but it's likely going to be a struggle all year.

Other random thoughts ...
Love to see Marek aggressive and looking for his shot offensively. It's only Seattle but we've actually seen Marek score against good opponents (the last 7 or 8 games of his freshman year) so hopefully he continues to explore that ... Sibide playing a relatively healthy 23 mpg all year would be great ... Goodine is a key. Not sure what he's going to be yet (this season) ...

A bench of Goodine, Guerrier, and Edwards is absolutely terrifying, quite honestly. Great experience for them this year, but make no mistake, this team will absolutely be focused around Boeheim, Girard, Hughes, Marek. Plenty of season left, but at this point Carey has not made the jump all were hoping to see, and that has (possibly) created a pretty large void in terms of depth. Sidibe will be ineffective against bigger teams, either through foul trouble or simple talent, and on those games I expect us to go with Marek at the 5 and Guerrier at the 4.
I'm pretty sure there will be games those 4 play 35 minutes.

I think we are looking at a 7.5 man rotation. The starters then Guerrier, Goodine and sometime Edwards.

I know you compared Buddy to Janulis, but let's not forget that Rautins had yet to start a game yet for SU at this point in his career.

Nice post... I agree with with pretty much every point.

Would Jason Cipolla be a better comp for Buddy? I think it says a lot that Cipolla and Janulis were clear secondary options for their teams yet Buddy needs to be one of the primary scoring options on this team... Recruiting matters.

I think Buddy is a better soph than Andy was. People felt a lot different about Andy in his second year than they did after his 5th. Andy might be my favorite Syracuse player ever. But Buddy certainly matches up with Andy in his second year.

A bench of Goodine, Guerrier, and Edwards is absolutely terrifying, quite honestly. Great experience for them this year, but make no mistake, this team will absolutely be focused around Boeheim, Girard, Hughes, Marek. Plenty of season left, but at this point Carey has not made the jump all were hoping to see, and that has (possibly) created a pretty large void in terms of depth. Sidibe will be ineffective against bigger teams, either through foul trouble or simple talent, and on those games I expect us to go with Marek at the 5 and Guerrier at the 4.

Yeah -- don't disagree on much of any of this though I think we'll see a bunch of sidibe against bigger teams as well. But I guess I just look at it differently which is that I'm surprised that I feel pretty good about the Buddy/Girard/Hughes/Marek combo, decent about Sidibe and Guerrier and hopeful about Goodine and a couple spot minutes from edwards at times. Not sure I thought I'd be anywhere near as good with this roster, which I felt was maybe a 17- or 18-win team to start the season. Not sure what I think they are now -- certainly not a 25-win team, but I think getting to 20 or 21 is a possibility. Wouldn't have said that after UVA or before, to be honest.

Guerrier seemed to be coming into his own last game. I'm hoping he supplants Sidibe in the starting lineup ASAP.

I am in the minority but Goodine's handle scares me to death thus far. He does not seem fluid dribbling the basketball. Early and nerves so I'm hoping it will get better ...soon.

He's a little bit of a tweener -- not quite good enough offensively to bring you much at the 2 but a little to wobbly to feel good about at PG. Definitely needs to continue improving for us to feel real confident about him. I do like him defensively though.

I think we are looking at a 7.5 man rotation. The starters then Guerrier, Goodine and sometime Edwards.

I know you compared Buddy to Janulis, but let's not forget that Rautins had yet to start a game yet for SU at this point in his career.
I think Buddy is a better soph than Andy was. People felt a lot different about Andy in his second year than they did after his 5th. Andy might be my favorite Syracuse player ever. But Buddy certainly matches up with Andy in his second year.

I could be wrong -- have been before. Just don't know that I see the lateral quickness for Buddy to be a nightmare for opponents up top defensively and I just don't know that I see -- even if we're just talking about potential -- Buddy being the kind of passer and pace-setter that Andy was as a senior. I know he's a soph and has been better to date than Andy was for two years, but Andy was playing behind Devendorf for three years. That's going to impact his raw numbers.

Guerrier seemed to be coming into his own last game. I'm hoping he supplants Sidibe in the starting lineup ASAP.

I don't know -- it's nice to have production off the bench and nice to have Marek on the wing if we can swing it for a while. I may be crazy but if Sidibe can do essentially what he did against Seattle and give us 7-ish points, 6-ish rebounds and a block in 20-25 mins, I'm pretty happy.

I don't know -- it's nice to have production off the bench and nice to have Marek on the wing if we can swing it for a while. I may be crazy but if Sidibe can do essentially what he did against Seattle and give us 7-ish points, 6-ish rebounds and a block in 20-25 mins, I'm pretty happy.

Yeah, Marek In The Middle is fine against lesser opponents, but many ACC foes will abuse that matchup.

Having CDB give us 20+ with the above stat line on the regular, would be tremendously beneficial for the team overall. Plus, Marek won't pick up as many fouls if he's not playing 4 & 5, so he'll be able to be more aggressive when he is in there.

I'd imagine that JB will start one of Marek OR QG, AND Sidibe, unless an injury or really ineffective play forces him to do otherwise.

Agree & it isn't any surprise to me that JB will have that type of rotation more or less. It's 100% his comfort zone as a head coach, and always has been. He could have a couple of blue chippers on the pine, and still would chose or find his rationale to play his same comfort zone rotation. It is what it is.

In regards to your Rautins point. Hastily, and at the top of my head, I don't recall our complete line up then, but is this assertion more of an apparent roster talent discrepancy now vs. then? I mean, who really would've thought when Buddy committed here that he'd be arguably our 2nd best player early in his soph year and, for the most part, projecting to get 38-40 minutes/game come P5 type or ACC play?

Agree & it isn't any surprise to me that JB will have that type of rotation more or less. It's 100% his comfort zone as a head coach, and always has been. He could have a couple of blue chippers on the pine, and still would chose or find his rationale to play his same comfort zone rotation. It is what it is.

In regards to your Rautins point. Hastily, and at the top of my head, I don't recall our complete line up then, but is this assertion more of an apparent roster talent discrepancy now vs. then? I mean, who really would've thought when Buddy committed here that he'd be arguably our 2nd best player early in his soph year and, for the most part, projecting to get 38-40 minutes/game come P5 type or ACC play?

I think I am higher on Buddy than most on the board, but I did follow a good portion of his HS and AAU career. You can argue that he was the MVP of the AAU team he was on with Girard and Isaiah Stewart. He hurt his wrist that summer and was forced to miss an entire weekend and they lost all of those games. He shot about 50% from 3 that summer. It won't be a shock to me if he averages anywhere from 13-17ppg over the next few years.

Now for Rautins, he started a lot of games next to Josh Wright in 2006-2007. That team was ok, but eventually was the team that became known for getting "snubbed" and was before JB really started scheduling harder teams in the OOC.

Very surprising that no one picked up JBs point on the post Colgate presser about having three very good shooters on the floor. This creates space for Marek, Quincy and Sidebe. Defenses can’t sag back quite as far nor can they concentrate on a single shooter.

With the 3 pt line further back this year, tightly guarding guys on the perimeter creates even more space and better passing lanes than it would have last year.

I could be wrong -- have been before. Just don't know that I see the lateral quickness for Buddy to be a nightmare for opponents up top defensively and I just don't know that I see -- even if we're just talking about potential -- Buddy being the kind of passer and pace-setter that Andy was as a senior. I know he's a soph and has been better to date than Andy was for two years, but Andy was playing behind Devendorf for three years. That's going to impact his raw numbers.
I don't either. But to be fair, the best is yet to come for Buddy. The question is how much better he can get.

Can Sidibe do that is the question

I don't either. But to be fair, the best is yet to come for Buddy. The question is how much better he can get.

Agree on that question. My stance is more that I think Rautins' senior season is one of the best we've seen from an SU guard in the past 30 years (tend to count the late '80s early/'90s teams as a different era). I don't expect everyone to agree with that but we've played almost exclusively zone since 95-96 and the top two defenders for my money were rautins and mcw up there. I also thought rautins' creativity was a huge part of one of the three best teams we've had in that time (Fab's soph year and, obviously, 03 being the other two).

My only point being that when I say Buddy is closer to Janulis than Rautins I mean that A) Janulis was a very solid player and Buddy is already much more well-rounded and B) that Rautins, as a senior, at least was one of the best guards we've had here. I may be alone in both of those opinions, however.

Agree on that question. My stance is more that I think Rautins' senior season is one of the best we've seen from an SU guard in the past 30 years (tend to count the late '80s early/'90s teams as a different era). I don't expect everyone to agree with that but we've played almost exclusively zone since 95-96 and the top two defenders for my money were rautins and mcw up there. I also thought rautins' creativity was a huge part of one of the three best teams we've had in that time (Fab's soph year and, obviously, 03 being the other two).

My only point being that when I say Buddy is closer to Janulis than Rautins I mean that A) Janulis was a very solid player and Buddy is already much more well-rounded and B) that Rautins, as a senior, at least was one of the best guards we've had here. I may be alone in both of those opinions, however.
I agree with all of that 100%. My only point is that we sometimes compare guys at different points in their career. People forget what some people looked like earlier in their career. At one time, people on this board called Andy the anti-g-mac. because of his lack of hitting clutch shots. That of course changed as time went on.

He's a little bit of a tweener -- not quite good enough offensively to bring you much at the 2 but a little to wobbly to feel good about at PG. Definitely needs to continue improving for us to feel real confident about him. I do like him defensively though.
I think everyone is underrating Goodine, and JB seemed to hint at that in his last press conference, going out of his way to praise Brycen’s potential. He’s a very good shooter and JB said himself he is good at getting to the rim (which we only really saw in the exhibition games but it was clear). But most importantly, he’s a freshman. How does everyone forget that there will be an adjustment period to CBB? Remember the huge strides Buddy made last season from the beginning to the end. Goodine has the same potential to be a high impact third guard—that is if Jalen doesn’t rebound and seize that mantle from him. Just like Guerrier has the potential to be a high impact third forward.

So it's only three games in and the competition level has been hard to determine to some extent (we know UVA is good but are they top 10 good?

One thing I've learned from watching JB in post-game press conferences over the years. And that is never say anything negative about your competition. Generally, a team is only ever as good as the competition. I think UVA is the best team in the country right now!

Girard makes everyone better. Anytime you have a player who shoots 4 for 5 or 5 for 5 from 3 changes everything. Every player on the team becomes much better because the other team has to focus their attention on the shooter. We will probably see one of our opponents use a box and 1 before season is over!

Very surprising that no one picked up JBs point on the post Colgate presser about having three very good shooters on the floor. This creates space for Marek, Quincy and Sidebe. Defenses can’t sag back quite as far nor can they concentrate on a single shooter.
rw
With the 3 pt line further back this year, tightly guarding guys on the perimeter creates even more space and better passing lanes than it would have last year.

These are really good points. Good outside shooting changes everything. We have to take advantage of having smaller forwards and centers having good off-ball movement by our forwards on offense. The big guys need to make a runs across the paint calling for the ball. Our smaller faster forwards then can take advantage driving the ball to the rim past larger slower opponent players.

On defense, against other teams big guys, whoever is playing center will need the zone to collapse quickly when the ball is fed to the low post. Marek will need lots of week side help against larger 5-star centers on the other teams.

Good three point shooting. Good motion offense. Good 2-3 zone defense. This team might have our annual bracket busting upside surprise in the tournament. We have to get 20 wins first!

So it's only three games in and the competition level has been hard to determine to some extent (we know UVA is good but are they top 10 good? Colgate was great at the end of last year and returns a bunch of guys but didn't look all that impressive and Seattle was supposed to be a tomato can and probably is but I thought they had some players and moved the ball well offensively).

Having said that, we've still learned some things about a team that, to me at least, was a pretty significant mystery to start the season. So what have we learned?

Girard is a player
Might as well start with the big one. It'd be easy to point to his ridiculous game Saturday but honestly the questions I had were defense (height and quickness) and taking care of the basketball (handle and getting used to the speed of the game passing the ball). Saw him do ok but struggle a bit with these the one time I saw him in that Capitol Classic all-star game. The kid not only been solid these aspects but he's actually brought A TON of energy defensively and taken really good care of the ball offensively -- particularly when you consider he seems to be involved somehow in about 75% of our buckets.

He's got 6 TOs in three games (72 minutes), which is not incredible, but playing the point in your first game as a frosh against UVA and only turning it over twice is solid, he was great against Colgate and one of his TOs, IIRC, against Seattle was when he got tied up after a steal. Another was when he went baseline and may have made the wrong decision on the pass (he had someone open on the wing for three but tried to feed I Sidibe I think in the paint) but I actually thought Sidibe just wasn't ready for the pass. If he was, he might have had an easy layup (though the pass was a little hot). He's really done a nice job there with only a couple careless passes.

I've always loved when we've had gaurds that disrupted other team's flow offensively. Hart, Rautins and MCW were the best but Waiters and GMac were pests, Scoop could bother teams, etc. Girard anticipates so well and plays so aggressively that he's a big factor on that end of the floor even if his rotations aren't perfect.

Offensively the tempo picks up when he's in and he makes plays for others as well as for himself. The GMac comparisons are inevitable but, in this case, I actually sort of agree. He's a guy people are going to love and he gives us punch offensively which we desperately need.

How this all translates into ACC play remains something of a question b/c he wasn't nearly as big a factor vs. UVA but I don't think it's an overreaction to be excited about what he's looked like. If you figure we only topped 80 points five times last season and only scored more than 89 once (95 points miraculously against Duke in mid-January), it's got to be a good sign to score that many points regardless of opponent.

The rotation is starting to work itself out
It's an annual rite of passage to complain about the rotation and get bitter about whomever is getting 'Boeheimed' but it seems like a pretty logical setup at the moment. Consider:
  • JBA (redshirting), Washington, Braswell and Carey (at least for now) are out. The JBA decision makes sense so long as Sidibe is relatively healthy and he's behind Edwards. Not sure where he'd get minutes. Same goes for Braswell. I love the kid and would love to see him get some minutes (and I hope we play well enough that he does in some of these games) but if Sidibe is healthy it pushes Marek to the 4 and creates a tough spot for Bras b/c Guerrier, Hughes and Marek are all potentially 25+ mpg type guys. Girard emerging a PG pushes Washington down to third on the depth chart there adn while he's capable I'm not sure he brings quite enough to the table to unseat Girard/Goodine. Carey may work his way back in particularly if Goodine has some growing pains. He may also be completely done. Not sure, but if he comes back I would think it's more as a 2 and I would guess that they are working with him more in that capacity going forward.

• The three frosh are the bench and may be the key to this team. Nice outing from Guerrier Saturday and he's probably the no. 1 option off the bench at this point. You can certainly see what the staff liked about him and I would guess his role will expand as he proves he can handle it. 14 FTs against Colgate is no joke regardless of opponent. Goodine is a baby deer at this point and needs to get more comfortable offensively but he's a pest defensively. The hope with Edwards will be that he can play well enough to potentially give us a couple 3-minute stretches each half. Gives Marek more time at the 4 while giving Sidibe a breather and hopefully managing his minutes a bit. Loved the play Saturday where he grabbed a board and outletted the ball to Girard as he was landing to start a fastbreak. Really nice instincts on that play. That said he'll have to improve to hold down this role in big ACC games.

• Hughes, Buddy, Girard, Marek and Sidibe will get big minutes. Goes without saying, really.
Our pace overall and our movement in the halfcourt is drastically improved.
Again, probably a question of how much this translates vs. P5 and/or tougher opponents but even so, this team has much more flow than the last couple. Girard always wants to push and is dangerous in that scenario. Even Buddy has made some plays in the secondary break. Hughes had a bad early-shot clock heave at one point but I'm really fine with it as a general rule seeing how slow we've played in the past.

The little play we run with the two screens on the low block to hit a curling Hughes/Marek is, in and of itself, more actual offense than we ran all year last season. We've put up 38 assists in the past two games -- we did that only once all year last year (it was when we put up 39 assists in mid-Jan against pitt and miami, back-to-back).

One thing I'd love to see, as a nitpick, is a few more lobs at times. We feed guys around the basket but then the guy who receives that pass has to gather and finish. That feels like it could just be a lob to a layup or dunk at times. Guerrier was saying that to Hughes, I think, at one point.

We are a very different offensive team. That's good news even if I'm not sure yet how many wins that will actually translate to.

Buddy is a little more Janulis than he is Rautins
People might hate this but if there's a sliding scale with Janulis (good player but mostly a shooter) on one end and Rautins (all-BE guard who was a factor on both ends of the floor and a really good passer) on the other, Buddy skews a bit more toward Janulis. His lateral quickness and foot speed are slow on the defensive end. He makes up for it to a degree with good anticipation and hustle, but he's still working to get to average on that end of the floor. Offensively he has more to his game than Janulis -- more range, more handle, more ability to make a play going to the basket -- but he's not great at finding a teammate off the dribble, his passing is average and he's not quite the factor in usettled situations that Rautins was.

Again, want to make clear that I'm not hammering buddy. Janulis was a kid who started 114 games in his career, was one of the most consistent shooters we have ever had here and played in a national title game. AND, buddy is better. But the rautins comparisons ... just not sure I see that in his game.

Rebounding will be a problem
Nothing new or earth-shattering here but we struggle to rebound. I guess we beat seattle on the boards but it was close. Going to take a team effort here and hoping Guerrier can play himself into more of a role but it's likely going to be a struggle all year.

Other random thoughts ...
Love to see Marek aggressive and looking for his shot offensively. It's only Seattle but we've actually seen Marek score against good opponents (the last 7 or 8 games of his freshman year) so hopefully he continues to explore that ... Sibide playing a relatively healthy 23 mpg all year would be great ... Goodine is a key. Not sure what he's going to be yet (this season) ...
I was about to say that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom