A few thoughts on Tyler Roberson... | Syracusefan.com

A few thoughts on Tyler Roberson...

Lawrinson14

Master Image Editor
Back when Tyler committed to the Orange, I was struck by how nervous he looked at his "press conference". Even in the preseason videos put up on Syracuse.com, he seems very shy and soft-spoken...especially for such a highly rated recruit.

Fast forward to the game on Sunday and it appears that he will be the one to call JB's doghouse home this year. Whereas guys like Scoop and Rakeem had the demeanor/attitude to deal with this, I don't know if Tyler does.

Anyone else notice this?

I think it's too early to declare anyone in JB's doghouse.

Plus, similar comments were repeatedly made about Triche--who ended up one of the most steady, productive players in SU history.

Back when Tyler committed to the Orange, I was struck by how nervous he looked at his "press conference". Even in the preseason videos put up on Syracuse.com, he seems very shy and soft-spoken...especially for such a highly rated recruit.

Fast forward to the game on Sunday and it appears that he will be the one to call JB's doghouse home this year. Whereas guys like Scoop and Rakeem had the demeanor/attitude to deal with this, I don't know if Tyler does.

Anyone else notice this?

First, its been reported that Tyler is clearly introverted and a person of few words. That's different than being shy / nervous.

Second, I share your concern about the dog house--and how he reacts to it. That doesn't mean that he can't play his way out of it, but he was clearly the whipping boy in game one, and didn't seem to respond well. Some players [Hart, Duany, etc.] thrive despite JB's sardonic scorn and use it as motivation. Others [Paul Harris, etc.] don't handle it well.

The best thing Roberson can do is settle down and just start playing. Making positive contributions [versus being out of position defensively numerous times] is what's going to get him out of the dog house.

Whatever your personality if you have been in the program for a year like Tyler, are starting on the wing in the zone for the first time like Tyler and you make those kind of glaringly obvious defensive mistakes repeatedly like Tyler then you will find yourself on the bench getting a talking to by JB. I think JB sees great potential in Tyler and because he was here all last year he's expecting much better defense from him. I said it in another thread but really Tyler should not worry about offense at all out there, just pay attention to the defense, rebound the ball and then let the offense come to you. JB wants him to play well and feels he is capable of it so he's going to ride him we've seen it with lots of kids over the years.

Whatever your personality if you have been in the program for a year like Tyler, are starting on the wing in the zone for the first time like Tyler and you make those kind of glaringly obvious defensive mistakes repeatedly like Tyler then you will find yourself on the bench getting a talking to by JB. I think JB sees great potential in Tyler and because he was here all last year he's expecting much better defense from him. I said it in another thread but really Tyler should not worry about offense at all out there, just pay attention to the defense, rebound the ball and then let the offense come to you. JB wants him to play well and feels he is capable of it so he's going to ride him we've seen it with lots of kids over the years.

That would be a great way to go out, settle down, get comfortable, and get his sea legs. The offense will come.

First, its been reported that Tyler is clearly introverted and a person of few words. That's different than being shy / nervous.

Second, I share your concern about the dog house--and how he reacts to it. That doesn't mean that he can't play his way out of it, but he was clearly the whipping boy in game one, and didn't seem to respond well. Some players [Hart, Duany, etc.] thrive despite JB's sardonic scorn and use it as motivation. Others [Paul Harris, etc.] don't handle it well.

The best thing Roberson can do is settle down and just start playing. Making positive contributions [versus being out of position defensively numerous times] is what's going to get him out of the dog house.

What struck me most Sunday and what I agree with the OP about is he seemed to play nervous. Playing to not make a mistake, instead of just letting it rip. He doesn't seem like the type of player that won't play hard, but he seemed like a guy at least in game one worried about looking over his shoulder.

We definately need one and probably 2 of the three sons to step up this year if we plan on having any late season success.

What struck me most Sunday and what I agree with the OP about is he seemed to play nervous. Playing to not make a mistake, instead of just letting it rip. He doesn't seem like the type of player that won't play hard, but he seemed like a guy at least in game one worried about looking over his shoulder.

We definately need one and probably 2 of the three sons to step up this year if we plan on having any late season success.

This is spot on. I'm an avid Texas Hold Em player and I pride myself on making good reads. Tyler is clearly terrified of making a mistake. If he were playing poker, I'd say he was "scared money," meaning he is so afraid of possibly losing money he never wants to put his chips at risk.

This is spot on. I'm an avid Texas Hold Em player and I pride myself on making good reads. Tyler is clearly terrified of making a mistake. If he were playing poker, I'd say he was "scared money," meaning he is so afraid of possibly losing money he never wants to put his chips at risk.

You would hope JB can also recognize this and temper his in game reactions to him accordingly. I won't hold my breath on that.

I don't know if its "afraid" -- I think it was more like he never got on any kind of roll, and then began to press. And then he started to think too much, and made a few defensive mistakes, got yelled at, and started to press more. Keep in mind--this is a kid who's barely played, so he's not going to power through a poor outing the way a more experienced player might.

If ever there was a guy who needed a run out dunk or something just to get the lid off the rim and settle the F down, it was Tyler on Sunday. Here's hoping that he has a great game against our next opponent, so that he can put this behind and start getting more comfortable out there.

Last edited:
I don't know if its "afraid" -- I think it was more like he never got on any kind of role, and then began to press. And then he started to think too much, and made a few defensive mistakes, got yelled at, and started to press more. Keep in mind--this is a kid who's barely played, so he's not going to power through a poor outing the way a more experienced player might.

If ever there was a guy who needed a run out dunk or something just to get the lid off the rim and settle the F down, it was Tyler on Sunday. Here's hoping that he has a great game against our next opponent, so that he can put this behind and start getting more comfortable out there.

Perhaps our young PG can make it a point to find him early for an easy one Monday.

Am I the only one who thinks Roberson is NOT in the doghouse? He played what? 15 minutes in a preseason game.

He got yelled at because he made defensive mistakes. Most other guys did as well and they got yelled at too.

He got the early hook, not because he's in the doghouse, but because that's his role this year. Token starter.

Was Triche in the doghouse his freshman year? Was Melo? Was Christmas? You get my point. Boeheim likes having a young guy wet his feet as a token starter. It does not mean they are in the doghouse.

When Roberson stops making mistakes he will stop getting yelled at. This has nothing to do with shyness or nerves, and everything to do with film study and hard work.

General: My reference to him playing scared is the way he's looked on offense, not his defensive lapses, but I get your point.

It would be a shame if he's this year's token starter because he has the talent to be an impact player if he gets some confidence.

Am I the only one who thinks Roberson is NOT in the doghouse? He played what? 15 minutes in a preseason game.

He got yelled at because he made defensive mistakes. Most other guys did as well and they got yelled at too.

He got the early hook, not because he's in the doghouse, but because that's his role this year. Token starter.

Was Triche in the doghouse his freshman year? Was Melo? Was Christmas? You get my point. Boeheim likes having a young guy wet his feet as a token starter. It does not mean they are in the doghouse.

When Roberson stops making mistakes he will stop getting yelled at. This has nothing to do with shyness or nerves, and everything to do with film study and hard work.

not the only one.

I am in agreement he is not in the doghouse. Finally doled out some money and subscribed to OAA and watched the game. The thing I saw with Tyler is less doghouse and instead more about the fact he is struggling with the mental aspect of the game. You can see he is a natural rebounder. His defensive positioning and offensive shot selection hurts him the most. You could see how long JB continued to explain to him what he did wrong albeit in a very animated demonstration.

Once Tyler can function on both ends naturally the way he does in rebounding the basketball it will be quite a thing to watch. When he makes a single move or just attacts without thinking so much you can see the potential. Kid has a nice stroke at the line and should be attacked relentlessly when he gets the ball if he doesn't have an open shot. I think he will get there ( I hope so) he is just someone who requires a lot of tutoring. Unlike Rak who was always getting chastised for not being aggressive enough on either end.

He was getting a spirited talking to, but it looked more like coaching than just flat out yelling at a guy. I think JB knows how to handle the guys even if to us it may not look like it sometimes. I hope TR gets some confidence because, if nothing else, we will need his rebounding.

Frankly, one of the big differences in our team's excellent run over the past few years has been really getting control of that corner three ball. I understand JB being pretty vehement on training guys to cover that better. It was foolishly wide open all first half. To me that was one big advantage of playing Carleton. A team that will find a weakness like that and can exploit it. Excellent tape was generated for our players to learn from.

He was getting a spirited talking to, but it looked more like coaching than just flat out yelling at a guy. I think JB knows how to handle the guys even if to us it may not look like it sometimes. I hope TR gets some confidence because, if nothing else, we will need his rebounding.

Frankly, one of the big differences in our team's excellent run over the past few years has been really getting control of that corner three ball. I understand JB being pretty vehement on training guys to cover that better. It was foolishly wide open all first half. To me that was one big advantage of playing Carleton. A team that will find a weakness like that and can exploit it. Excellent tape was generated for our players to learn from.

The loss of Baye really hurts with those corner threes. I can't count high enough the amount of times he bailed out a corner defender with his recovery defense.

The loss of Baye really hurts with those corner threes. I can't count high enough the amount of times he bailed out a corner defender with his recovery defense.

Yes it did. Baye did a great job offsetting the open shots created by the top of the zone overplaying the the top of the arc.

Probably the best center we have had in covering the corner, he must have been really distracting for shooters running to the corner being all arms and legs. Rakeem does alright with this but he Baye was better.

I do recall Hak doing it one time when he was pressed into playing the 5 spot late in a game. Can't seem to place the game but it seems to me that it was important.

I do recall Hak doing it one time when he was pressed into playing the 5 spot late in a game. Can't seem to place the game but it seems to me that it was important.
Vaguely familiar. It's a haze but then again, I can't hold my liquor.

Probably the best center we have had in covering the corner, he must have been really distracting for shooters running to the corner being all arms and legs. Rakeem does alright with this but he Baye was better.

yeah, whatever happened in that game? Did we win?

Tyler has talen, sometimes it just takes some time for a player to mature and get comfortable in a program. He's going to have plenty of opportunities to play, contribute and find his roll this year. Maybe "it" happens for him this year, maybe he doesnt, regardless he is still a soph. and I think by the time he's a Sr. we will be saying "boy im glad we have him this year". On a mild side note, this is one year where I really think the traditional early season November & December creampuffs will help the team develop and help the players to find their rolls and gain some much needed confidence.

On a mild side note, this is one year where I really think the traditional early season November & December creampuffs will help the team develop and help the players to find their rolls and gain some much needed confidence.

And yet we have one of our toughest OOC slates in quite some time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom