A few thoughts | Syracusefan.com

A few thoughts

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
Buddy and Joe are pressing so hard right now. Goodine and Washington have to play more. They simply have to, just to let these guys watch the action a bit, and not get too down on themselves that it does lasting damage.

We should face up to the probability that we aren't going to be on TV as much as we are used to.
Could Wildhack ask Jim to step down at the end of the season, if the collapse is complete and we win only about 10 or 12 games this year?

I wonder if there is a dollar number, in terms of loss of revenue to the overall athletic department that they have to put more pressure on the coaches.

Buddy being the son of the HC makes this so difficult for Wildhack. Has a HC ever been fired from a school while their son is playing there? I’d have to imagine no.

Buddy and Joe are pressing so hard right now. Goodine and Washington have to play more. They simply have to, just to let these guys watch the action a bit, and not get too down on themselves that it does lasting damage.

We should face up to the probability that we aren't going to be on TV as much as we are used to.
Could Wildhack ask Jim to step down at the end of the season, if the collapse is complete and we win only about 10 or 12 games this year?

I wonder if there is a dollar number, in terms of loss of revenue to the overall athletic department that they have to put more pressure on the coaches.
Unfortunately they let Hopkins walk and no matter how much you want it to happen, he is not coming back. We are stuck with this situation for at least two more years.

Buddy being the son of the HC makes this so difficult for Wildhack. Has a HC ever been fired from a school while their son is playing there? I’d have to imagine no.
Fired? Huh?

We will not win more than 4 conf games. We may not win 10 games this year.

Fired? Huh?

I don’t think he’s getting fired, I honestly don’t. But what happens if the bottom just completely comes out and we finish bottom 3 in the ACC this year? And yes, this post probably doesn’t age well and that’s ok. But what happens if it does? That’s the question. What happens if we just have the absolute worst year ever in Boeheims 44 years of coaching?

I don’t think he’s getting fired, I honestly don’t. But what happens if the bottom just completely comes out and we finish bottom 3 in the ACC this year? And yes, this post probably doesn’t age well and that’s ok. But what happens if it does? That’s the question. What happens if we just have the absolute worst year ever in Boeheims 44 years of coaching?
One of two things happens:

1. JB comes back to coach next year
2. JB retires

It’s the same two options that are on the table every year until #2 happens. There’s no other outcomes.

JB is not getting fired.

I agree. But at what point does this become really difficult for Wildhack? If we just continue to be atrocious, how much do we start losing from ticket sales?

Do we still get 20k+ people if we’re getting blown out by 15-20 points? Maybe we reel off 10 wins in a row and this is all a moot point. But what happens if we lose the next few tough games and then lose to a cupcake and all of a sudden we’re like 5-7 or 5-8?

How much $$$ needs to be lost to force Wildhack into a decision? And I know it’s impossible to answer...I’m just spitballing here. And again, no I don’t think this is happening but it’s fascinating watching how fast Cuse basketball is dropping down the tiers.

I agree. But at what point does this become really difficult for Wildhack? If we just continue to be atrocious, how much do we start losing from ticket sales?

Do we still get 20k+ people if we’re getting blown out by 15-20 points? Maybe we reel off 10 wins in a row and this is all a moot point. But what happens if we lose the next few tough games and then lose to a cupcake and all of a sudden we’re like 5-7 or 5-8?

How much $$$ needs to be lost to force Wildhack into a decision? And I know it’s impossible to answer...I’m just spitballing here. And again, no I don’t think this is happening but it’s fascinating watching how fast Cuse basketball is dropping down the tiers.

I think best you can do is tell him to accelerate his retirement plans. Announce in the fall of 2020 and let Red or Gmac (please no) take over on an interim basis in 20-21.

One of two things happens:

1. JB comes back to coach next year
2. JB retires

It’s the same two options that are on the table every year until #2 happens. There’s no other outcomes.

you don’t think there’s a potential for #2b which is a forced retirement? Or would JB say effff uuuu, fire me

yes. At Rhode island a few years ago. Baron

Have you watched Goodine? He has been worse than any of them.

I don’t see the Board allowing JB to be forced out. If it didn’t happen after his SECOND major NCAA sanction in his tenure, it’s not going to happen because the team is bad.

Saddle up for 2 & 3/4ths more years of this.

I don’t see the Board allowing JB to be forced out. If it didn’t happen after his SECOND major NCAA sanction in his tenure, it’s not going to happen because the team is bad.

Saddle up for 2 & 3/4ths more years of this.

They can force him to make changes and he can refuse. Then we'll see what happens. The AD can't bleed millions of dollars every year from their major cash cow.

They can force him to make changes and he can refuse. Then we'll see what happens. The AD can't bleed millions of dollars every year from their major cash cow.

Eh, I don’t see it happening. And besides, what changes? Fire assistants? To what end?

Fired? Ben Schwarzwalder was 64 when he was told to go, too old the game passed him by. This is big business and the admin would be derelict to let it slide Boeheim or no Boeheim. Dino is on the hot seat right beside him.

Goodine has done nothing to indicate he deserves more PT. Other than his name isn't Buddy Boeheim. He literally did nothing in 14 minutes tonight. Like just about every other game.

Eh, I don’t see it happening. And besides, what changes? Fire assistants? To what end?

Yes, fire assistants. Bring on board someone who can recruit for the ACC and not the Patriot League. We'll see if he puts up with that or just decides to say "F it, I'm done." SU basketball generates 30-plus million a year for the AD. Attendance dips, no postseason, etc. can cripple the finances of the entire department.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom