Some thoughts:
  • Burr!
  • Damone Brown was an underrated player
  • I loved watching Etan Thomas play
  • Jason Hart had such a weird jumper
  • Allen Griffin really doesn't look that different
  • I had totally forgotten how much I hated Jake Voskuhl
  • Kueth looked as happy at the end of that game as he did late on 4/7/03

I was 23 and living in Cuse at the time. Decided to head up to the hill solo last second and got a ticket from the scalper at a decent price. Going for 16-0, Vitale in town (when it was a thing). Had to do it. Anyway I was sitting down behind the basket opposite students and as it was becoming clear we would win I saw people lining up to storm the court. Ran down around the bleachers to the other side and as the game went final ran on the court amid the mob. I'm a pretty big dude but some giant woman ran into me and i got knocked over one of those 8 foot tables to the court floor. That was an awesome day and one of my hundreds of great Dome memories.

1994-view-of-domejpg-bfa5da34772033bf.jpg

I miss the curtain. It was cool.

Brown
Bland
Deshaun
Preston
Blackwell
Hart
Duany
Griffin
Etan

I count 9 players in a game facing the #5 team in the country. It was like watching two SU teams compared to what I've seen the past 2 months.

1994-view-of-domejpg-bfa5da34772033bf.jpg

I miss the curtain. It was cool.
They could use it for football in the entire upperdeck...and sadly, it can reappear for hoop as well.

Brown
Bland
Deshaun
Preston
Blackwell
Hart
Duany
Griffin
Etan

I count 9 players in a game facing the #5 team in the country. It was like watching two SU teams compared to what I've seen the past 2 months.

That’s a deep team. All of them high D1 starters.

Some thoughts:
  • Burr!
  • Damone Brown was an underrated player
  • I loved watching Etan Thomas play
  • Jason Hart had such a weird jumper
  • Allen Griffin really doesn't look that different
  • I had totally forgotten how much I hated Jake Voskuhl
  • Kueth looked as happy at the end of that game as he did late on 4/7/03
My takeaways are a reminder on how much I liked Tony Bland and how much I hated Doughboy.

Etan Thomas was special.

Dude was really good.

He and Fab are clearly the best defensive Syracuse centers of the past two decades (and probably longer). I suspect the advanced metrics would say fab was better because of his charge-drawing. But watching etan play defense was a thrill in a way no one else has matched in my time watching Syracuse. (I’d actually say the closest was fully dialed in triche plus Mcw in 13, which is a weird comparison).

What a game. That team was a joy to watch. I was part of that student section, saw a couple familiar faces in the footage on the court after the game. Good times, thanks for sharing!

Love how aggressively we used to push the ball up the court off a turnover.

Dude was really good.

He and Fab are clearly the best defensive Syracuse centers of the past two decades (and probably longer). I suspect the advanced metrics would say fab was better because of his charge-drawing. But watching etan play defense was a thrill in a way no one else has matched in my time watching Syracuse. (I’d actually say the closest was fully dialed in triche plus Mcw in 13, which is a weird comparison).
I think the advanced metrics would favor Etan.

Nobody went inside on him.

And if they did, he'd block like 6 shots.

The only player I've ever seen that made me feel when the other team broke the press that they were in trouble.

I think the advanced metrics would favor Etan.

I spent five minutes trying to figure out whether there was a way to answer the question. Nope is the answer.

The ‘12 team was actually not quite as good defensively as I would have guessed - 16 in kenpom. I would be surprised if the 00 team was higher than that, although mostly because I don’t think boeheim had the zone nearly as finely tuned then. (Also, while that team had two sensational defenders in hart and Thomas, it had a lot of not very good ones too).

Thomas’ career arc - from fouling out in six minutes as a freshman to two time be dpoy and legit offense threat was awesome to watch.

Dude was really good.

Yup. Etan brought the intimidation factor. I remember Troy Murphy for ND would play like he was flat out scared of Etan.

Solid offensive player by his senior year too. I loved that kickout to Deshaun in the first half.

Hart, Etan, and Blackwell all being seniors and at minimum 3 year starters brought a ton of experience to that 2000 team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom