A Huge Year from Shrader | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

A Huge Year from Shrader

3,100 total yards and 26 tuddies in ‘22
2,200 total yards and 23 tuddies in ‘21

He will be one of our most productive QB’s ever.

In 3 full years, he’ll land near top-5 in every major statistical category at Syracuse. Likely only behind guys like McNabb, Dungey & Nassib. He will also be top-10 in career rushing TD’s.

He’s been a very productive QB. And he’s developed tremendously.

I think he’s undervalued on our all-time fandom totem pole. Not terribly, but Garrett’s fine, and he can lead this offense to a very good place.
yeah but didn't you read the dopes earlier here that he has a "terrible arm"?! Cue JB in your mind, "we wouldn't have won 4 games without him!"

We can only hope next years OL protects Shrader as well as this years did. As much as people want to blame the OL for everything, we were graded the 4th best pass blocking team in the ACC. And this will really shock people but the ACC QB that had the best average time to throw was Shrader. In fact he even had more time to throw than all but a few starting NFL QBs too. Shrader is often his own worst enemy.
Was not expecting that at all

yeah but didn't you read the dopes earlier here that he has a "terrible arm"?! Cue JB in your mind, "we wouldn't have won 4 games without him!"
He does have a terrible arm. Watch the games. He can’t stand in the pocket and make throws. He throws it into the ground or way over their heads. All he did good was force it into Gadsden on every pass play.
He was much better this year but he still isn’t that good. Sorry truth hurts.

He does have a terrible arm. Watch the games. He can’t stand in the pocket and make throws. He throws it into the ground or way over their heads. All he did good was force it into Gadsden on every pass play.
1673726194600.png

sorry you're wrong. Those numbers don't scream "terrible". If you want to say "average" (in terms of the arm) then sure, that would be more accurate. And if one looks at the totality of the qb for position of throwing, running, intangibles etc, than he's above average and is the biggest reason we can even compete and win more than we lose. Sorry truth hurts, and all you shrader bashers need hear that and show more respect and perspective.

Last edited:
Lol "truth".

Of 141 starting QBs in the country he was graded the 31st best for passing alone and 4th in the ACC. That’s not terrible. And that truth doesn’t hurt.

Of 141 starting QBs in the country he was graded the 31st best for passing alone and 4th in the ACC. That’s not terrible. And that truth doesn’t hurt.
Yep and both can be true that he’s overall good/above average at the position but as you note elsewhere sometimes his own worst enemy.

Yep and both can be true that he’s overall good/above average at the position but as you note elsewhere sometimes his own worst enemy.

Yep. When I said that I was specifically talking about taking off too soon sometimes.

I trust someone like Beck who has put QB's in the NFL, then some fans opinion.
If there was a better QB he would have played.

Say a lot about our QB room.
I do trust Beck as well. And I have said elsewhere that Beck will get Shrader to play at his best.
He is good overall because of his ability to run. But if he was not a runner he wouldn’t be a D1 QB….in my opinion.

Graded according to what and by whom?

I don’t think it includes anything after leaving the pocket just looking at the numbers. Shraders average time to throw on dropbacks was 3.06 seconds.
Time to throw is kind of a goofy stat when he so many times just chucked it towards OG and didn’t go through any type of progression.

As always the truth is in the middle - GS is a warrior, makes plays and guys rally around him. He certainly has his warts as a QB though.

Hes a gammer. Better runner than passer for sure. He needs the WR room to step up a little

Time to throw is kind of a goofy stat when he so many times just chucked it towards OG and didn’t go through any type of progression.

As always the truth is in the middle - GS is a warrior, makes plays and guys rally around him. He certainly has his warts as a QB though.

He was #1 in time to throw. If he just “chucked” it to OG so much I would think OG would have been more than 65th in targets.

If you’re grading him on an NFL scale, sure.

Another issue, besides being slowed by injuries, is that the "book" is out on Shrader; he's not going to surprise opponents with his feet anymore. Last year, I think he was able to run a little hog wild because teams didn't realize how dangerous he could be on the ground. Everyone is going to focus on stopping him from beating them with his legs, at this point.

Another issue, besides being slowed by injuries, is that the "book" is out on Shrader; he's not going to surprise opponents with his feet anymore. Last year, I think he was able to run a little hog wild because teams didn't realize how dangerous he could be on the ground. Everyone is going to focus on stopping him from beating them with his legs, at this point.
in order to take away his running they need to give something up. Chess match that I like Beck to win.

in order to take away his running they need to give something up. Chess match that I like Beck to win.
Probably safety help over the top. But, can Shrader and the Shraderettes consistently beat people deep down the field?

Plus a mature Shrader knowing when to take off and when not to. If the WR's work with him on scramble drills and do their part the world will open up for this offense along with as we've seen the great hands of Allen to dump the ball off. The more options the better.

Better is by definition subjective, though I agree with you. One thing though… maybe you could help me out a sec, because there are no QBs that Beck has put in the league that have done anything. So that’s not a great argument.

Better is by definition subjective, though I agree with you. One thing though… maybe you could help me out a sec, because there are no QBs that Beck has put in the league that have done anything. So that’s not a great argument.
Who cares? If we have great college students, doesn't matter if they're NFL prospects?

Who cares? If we have great college students, doesn't matter if they're NFL prospects?
He stated he’d trust someone who has put QBs in the league. Apparently, he cares; though it’s based on faulty logic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom