A little food for thought | Syracusefan.com

A little food for thought

T

tee1222

I have sorted by field goal percentages.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/183/sort/fieldGoalPct/syracuse-orange

Who's worried about our three headed monster? Look at Rak's field goal percentage (.720) and note that all three bigs are on the top of the list. The way it should be. Not saying we don't have some concerns here, but .720, .677, .538? I'll take it gladly.

Coooooooooooney? .459, up from .322, .463 3 pointers, up from .267? Recognize!

And lastly, but not leastly, near almost beastly....
This year's team .465, .685, .352
Last year's team .439, .675, .334

It's clear this is a different team, but I think could hang in there with last year's final four team just fine. Maybe they will even surprise us!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/183/sort/fieldGoalPct/syracuse-orange

Who's worried about our three headed monster? Look at Rak's field goal percentage (.720) and note that all three bigs are on the top of the list. The way it should be. Not saying we don't have some concerns here, but .720, .677, .538? I'll take it gladly.

It's clear this is a different team, but I think could hang in there with last year's final four team just fine. Maybe they will even surprise us!

In fact, it's better than the total team numbers suggest.

The three sons and the walk-ons are 16 for 64 (25%) from the field and 3 for 31 (10%) from 3.

The eight rotation players are 252 for 512 from the field (49%) and 54 for 131 from 3 (41%).

Of course these numbers will drop once we get into conference play. But that's pretty efficient offense.

I hope the three sons (especially BJ) know they can impress in a variety of ways. They don't have to be high volume shooters. I understand the psychology of sitting on the bench and then wanting to make an immediate impact when they get their chance. I just wish they would let the game come to them a little more. Hopefully, they get plenty of time against High Point and play well.

Last edited:
There is no doubt we are a better shooting team. A lot of that has to do with Ennis being good at running plays and getting guys the ball when and where they need it. I'd also say that of our top 8 rotational players none are guys that regularly take bad sots. They almost all seemingly take shots that they should be taking or we want them to take.

I hope the three sons (especially BJ) knwo they can impress in a variety of ways. They don't have to be high volume shooters. I understand the psychology of sitting on the bench and then wanting to make an immediate impact when they get their chance. I just wish they would let the game come to them a little more. Hopefully, they get plenty of time against High Point and play well.

I don't disagree, but admittedly it must be tough to let the game come to you in 45 seconds of floor time.

Christams 2.5 shots per game
Coleman 3.1
Keita 1.3

One disturbing stat is RPG. Grant should not be the leader.
why shouldn't the de facto power forward be the team leader in rebounds?

he might not end up there, anyway. Coleman trails Grant by just 4 total rebounds in nearly 100 fewer minutes. If DC begins earning a few minutes, he would probably take the lead by the end of the year.

he might not end up there, anyway. Coleman trails Grant by just 4 total rebounds in nearly 100 fewer minutes. If DC begins earning a few minutes, he would probably take the lead by the end of the year.

I'm not disappointed that GRant is leading the team, but I am a little disappointed that he leads the team with just 6 rpg.

I'm not disappointed that GRant is leading the team, but I am a little disappointed that he leads the team with just 6 rpg.

Yeah, CJ's rebounding has really fallen off too. I wonder if that's a result of him taking on more of a scorer's mentality. By the way, does it seem to anyone else that CJ is one of our only players to follow his shot well and rebound his misses? He seems to hit the offensive glass, so why is he not averaging somewhere around 8 rebounds a game?

Scoring is important. Assists are important. Rebounds are important. Steals are important. Turnover ratio is important. Free throw percentage is important. Field goal percentage is important. Blocks are important. Did I miss anything?

that's a function of the front court depth - Grant is only playing 27 minutes per game . . . his per 36 minutes average is 7.9 rpg; Coleman's is 12.2

Yeah, CJ's rebounding has really fallen off too. I wonder if that's a result of him taking on more of a scorer's mentality. By the way, does it seem to anyone else that CJ is one of our only players to follow his shot well and rebound his misses? He seems to hit the offensive glass, so why is he not averaging somewhere around 8 rebounds a game?
It's to be expected; paired with Southerland, he was primarily an interior player; paired with Grant, he is more of a perimeter player. . His offensive rebounding percentage this year is 5.7 - a career low.

Sweet 16, Elite 8, Final Four, National Title.. Believe that shizit!! And in all honesty there is no reason to believe we don't have the best team in the country even if it is early. Our bigs are getting better, our backcourt is awesome. The youngins aren't playing a lot but would not be a liability in a pinch and the rest of the country is a mixed bag. Zona is good, however I think by year end we are better from top to bottom. Not yet but we will be. Feed the bigs, keep getting better defensively lookout! Also might I add that it sets up nicely with Buffalo and MSG if we keep at it.

If we get there I think I am definitely going to the FF. Had a blast there this past week and now know the area well enough. Should be an awesome place for FF.

I think it's a function of him being "the guy." Offensively he is usually the guy taking the shots (he has to be averaging 15+ shots a game this year) so he tends to be further away from the hoop either as a screener, the shooter or the guy making the last pass before a shot. So he has less offensive rebounding opportunities.

It could be my memory, but I really think he got quite a few OREBs the last couple years, and his putbacks, were an area where he scored quite a few points. Now that he tends to be further from the glass, he doesn't get as many o-Boards and he doesn't get the easy putbacks he had the last couple years.

It is good that Grant is rebounding so well. He's doubled his playing minutes and has doubled his RB production as well. Christmas at 21 mpg and 3.8 RPG is problematic. He's basically seeing the same minutes, yet he's down 20% from last year. Robertson, who rarely plays, is averaging 3.0 RPG, not far behind him.

Coleman has upped his RB's by 25% which is much more than his playing time increase. So that is a bright spot.

Fair's RB ave. is down 25%, a function of his different role this year you suggest. Although Keita is playing less minutes, it is not 50% less, which is the amount of his RB reduction this year.

Surprisingly, overall team RB averages are only down a bit.

Good stuff. The bigs should be on top in FG%, considering the type and low volume of shots they attempt. Still, Coleman has clearly improved offensively, and Cooney has obviously taken a huge leap forward.

Not sure if the team numbers tell us anything at this point. You're comparing 10 games (with a few cupcakes included) to 40 games through the Big East meat grinder and on to a national semi-final. Stay tuned.

Rebounding is down because of the guards. Mcw and bt were better at it than Ennis or Trevor, but it's made up for in other areas.
gross rebounding is down because there are fewer rebounds to be had - SU's offensive FG percentages are up both on 2s and 3s, and their defensive FG percentages are up in both as well- offense better and defense worse mean fewer rebounds to get.

yet another reason to compare rebounding percentage rather than gross totals.

Interesting stuff and worth looking at now that we have played almost the entire OOC schedule.

Here are the scholarship player's stats broken out by minutes:

SU stats.png

My Three Sons are taking an incredible number of shots per minute. They all eclipse even CJ, who is shooting more this year in the featured role in the SU offense.

DaJuan Coleman continues to draw fouls at a very impressive pace. Tyler Ennis, helped by the increased emphasis on calling hand checking, is close behind him. But the real story here is how well Jerami Grant is doing drawing fouls. He is attacking the basket very aggressively and drawing a lot of fouls as a result. Just in general, this team is really good at drawing fouls; Gbinije and Patterson also have impressive numbers. I think this stat is a good harbinger of future results, which should be encouraging to the Roberson fans who might be a tad disappointed at his numbers to date.

Even with the goose egg on Sunday, Trevor's 3 point numbers are dazzling. I expect JB will have the team work on some screen plays designed to get TC open looks on Friday night (provided High Point plays man to man). If the SU bigs can't contribute big numbers rebounding or scoring, they can at least help out on offense by setting good screens.

While his numbers are down somewhat from last season, the best rebounder on the team remains DCII. If he could somehow play 30 minutes a game, he would surely average 10 rebounds. Jerami has done a nice job on the boards as well. BMK and RC need to improve their numbers here, as does CJ. On the positive side, Silent G has done well on the boards; his numbers are excellent for a guard. Patterson's are even more impressive though you have to keep in mind that his numbers are skewed a bit due to PPIGT (predominant play in garbage time). Fans of Roberson should again note that he has excellent numbers rebounding the ball. Again, PPIGT needs to be considered, but even so, it looks like TR is going to be a fine rebounder for us when he starts getting regular playing time.

Ennis is doing well in terms of assists/minute. Good numbers for Silent G (not a surprise) and Patterson (pretty surprising given his extreme inclination to shoot the ball when in a game). TC could do a better job rebounding the ball and passing it. But this is his first year playing serious minutes and I suspect he will improve those numbers over time.

In terms of TOs/minutes, Ennis has great numbers for a PG, which is no surprise, but Silent G is right there with him, which to me anyway is surprising. He appears to have made major improvements in terms of taking care of the ball in recent weeks. CJ, BJ and DC2 all have TOs/minute that are of concern, particularly since they do not have significant ball handling responsibilities.

Looking at steals/minute, Ennis has excellent numbers, but TC has even better ones; he is really good at knocking the ball loose and forcing turnovers. Silent G lives up to his nickname by quietly posting excellent numbers here, and Rob Patterson again shows up with really good numbers in this category. Say what you want about him but The Buss makes things happen.

Lastly, it is not surprise that RC and BMK are the best shot blockers on the team. DC2 has decent but not great numbers for a center. Roberson again shows his potential with a good number here and in limited minutes, BJ Johnson has been very impressive here, especially given how little he plays under the basket.

Scoring is important. Assists are important. Rebounds are important. Steals are important. Turnover ratio is important. Free throw percentage is important. Field goal percentage is important. Blocks are important. Did I miss anything?
Having more points than the other team when the game is over is important.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom