A little fun with number$ - Looking ahead to the ACC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

A little fun with number$ - Looking ahead to the ACC

Yep, student fees, general fund transfers, direct state aid to the school. Also includes contributions to the athletic department.

Not how it works for other schools but IPTAY(The group that handles fundraising and contributions) is likely not included in that figure. IPTAY is not added into any of the school or AD financials because the money is not controlled by anyone at the school including the AD and President. The money is the schools to use but must be approved by the IPTAY board. IPTAY paid most of the cost for the indoor practice facility, new sound system and video boards we recently got.

Clemson AD had a total revenue of 73,151,220 in 2012. Some of that was money allocated from IPTAY(around 7 million) for various projects around campus. IPTAY had a total revenue of 20,130,322 this past year.

Not how it works for other schools but IPTAY(The group that handles fundraising and contributions) is likely not included in that figure. IPTAY is not added into any of the school or AD financials because the money is not controlled by anyone at the school including the AD and President. The money is the schools to use but must be approved by the IPTAY board. IPTAY paid most of the cost for the indoor practice facility, new sound system and video boards we recently got.

Clemson AD had a total revenue of 73,151,220 in 2012. Some of that was money allocated from IPTAY(around 7 million) for various projects around campus. IPTAY had a total revenue of 20,130,322 this past year.

CU has one of the best booster clubs in the country.

Maryland has been trying to run an athletic department as big as UNC's and UVA's for years with a budget the size of NC State's. If they had run an athletic department the size of NC State's, they would have come out much better financially and not had 10 sports or so that couldn't compete. Now look at them. They are going to try to keep up with an athletic department the size of Ohio State or Penn State? Good Luck!

A salient point that has been completely overlooked by lots of folks.

CU has one of the best booster clubs in the country.

Some great fans too. I read last week we had sold about 56K season tickets and were expected to hit about 58K before opening kickoff.

Some great fans too. I read last week we had sold about 56K season tickets and were expected to hit about 58K before opening kickoff.

Thats an incredible number. I wish Carolina's fanbase had the passion you CU fans do.

Not how it works for other schools but IPTAY(The group that handles fundraising and contributions) is likely not included in that figure. IPTAY is not added into any of the school or AD financials because the money is not controlled by anyone at the school including the AD and President. .

A similar setup at FSU with the Seminole Boosters organization working closely with the University but functionally independent.

If the school/AD withdraws money from the IPTAY bank, I would imagine they have to report it as revenue. They are no different in that regard than a wealthy private individual whose assets are not controlled by the school, but whose assets are donated to the school for athletics uses.

If the school/AD withdraws money from the IPTAY bank, I would imagine they have to report it as revenue. They are no different in that regard than a wealthy private individual whose assets are not controlled by the school, but whose assets are donated to the school for athletics uses.

I think that's correct, so that means that the spending numbers are largely accurate, IPTAY or no IPTAY.

But what it doesn't accurately reflect is the true revenue raised in terms of money at Clemson's disposal. So if Clemson shows $70M revenue and $70M expenses, it doesn't mean Clemson is "maxed out" and reflect poorly on it's financial health. It just means that IPTAY just transferred over enough money to cover expenses. Plenty more revenue was likely generated through IPTAY.

I think that's why FSU's jumped so much, a large transfer of money from the boosters to pay for the IPF.

That said, Clemson's budget seems a little small to me. Seems like they should be spending more money, based on the strength of their ticket sales, power of their booster club, and their aspirations. Maybe that's money that's missing from other sports and not so much from football, but if Clemson fancies itself in league with the FSU, Georgia, Florida, Auburns etc of the world, doesn't seem like they should be spending in line with the Maryland, Mississippi State, Virginia, Purdues of the world.

Again, maybe they're not underspending in football, but I'm not seeing too many elite football programs with athletic budgets in the $70M range, especially when they're packing in 80k a game and have a booster group like IPTAY.

I think that's correct, so that means that the spending numbers are largely accurate, IPTAY or no IPTAY.
Good stuff, sounds reasonable. Out of curiosity, with regard to the following statement: "Again, maybe they're not underspending in football, but I'm not seeing too many elite football programs with athletic budgets in the $70M range" - does football really matter in that analysis? Could it be that those schools simply run very large and expensive departments across the board? If not, then what I want to know is what the money is being spent on. If $70M is a customary annual budget but the big schools are spending more on football... what are they spending it on? Millions and millions more on... what?

You also have to take into account how many sports a school fields. If Clemson has say 10 less mens and womens sports to factor into the budget then of course their budget is going to be less than a school that has those 10 sports.

The ACC just needs to perform a little better and it will be a superior conference to the B1G. The B1G has the longest drought of any conference for championships - 2002 for Ohio State Football. PAC 12 - 2005 USC football; Big 12 - 2008 Kansas Basketball; ACC - 2010 or 2013 if you want to count Louisville Basketball; SEC - 2012 Alabama Football. The B1G's product is very mediocre. I'm kind of hoping they sign with Fox 1 when their contract is up so Sportscenter can put the conference on the back burner and focus on the real winners.

And Ohio State had to cheat to get that title. Plus some help from the refs in that game. Wasn't that the game where Miami got jobbed on a late TD?