A little fun with number$ - Looking ahead to the ACC | Syracusefan.com

A little fun with number$ - Looking ahead to the ACC

GoSU96

Living Legend
windfall. Here are the revenue numbers reported to the Dept. of Ed for 2011. SU should realize anywhere from a $14M to $17M immediate bump based on what it was realizing from the BEC ($3.3M) vs the ACC TV ($17M to 20M) contracts. SU also has access capacity for Football and Lax revenues above and beyond TV contracts that should see significant increases due to the move. I would also expect to see an increase in fundraising dollars as well with the move.

Based on this SU could end up leaping over FSU, UVA, UNC and Duke in Gross Rev once it recieves its cut from the new contract.

2011......... Total Rev... Mens Rev... Unallocated Rev
University of Notre Dame.... $ 97,112,859 ..$ 74,755,859... $ 19,093,113
University of Louisville ......$ 87,840,504 ..$ 66,657,198... $ 19,694,590
Florida State University .....$ 81,444,039.. $ 49,191,176... $ 19,928,529
University of Virginia-Main Campus ...... $ 81,321,219.. $ 34,086,036.. $ 32,015,851
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.. $ 78,830,350 ..$ 55,440,914.. $ 17,959,529
Duke University ......$ 78,604,895 ..$ 58,450,450.. $ 3,793,235
Syracuse University .........$ 73,287,687 ..$ 59,469,346.. $ 1,969,113
Clemson University......... $ 66,988,424.. $ 49,231,382.. $ 13,442,350
Boston College........ $ 66,197,029 ..$ 32,143,724 ..$ 23,842,634
North Carolina State University at Raleigh ...$ 65,507,243.. $ 40,328,510.. $ 21,394,380
Virginia Tech........ $ 64,801,681 ...$ 47,072,548.. $ 11,944,313
University of Maryland-College Park ......$ 62,612,370.. $ 34,787,652.. $ 22,909,864
University of Miami ........$ 62,099,601 ..$ 41,033,918 ..$ 16,025,588
Georgia Technology ........$ 60,253,966 ..$ 38,782,344 ..$ 20,075,103
University of Pittsburgh-..... $ 56,338,449.. $ 38,144,036 ..$ 9,463,776
Wake Forest University..... $ 48,776,185.. $ 30,303,275 ..$ 10,229,608

University of Connecticut....... $ 63,828,624. $ 21,620,091.. $ 37,128,631
Rutgers University-New Brunswick .....$ 57,480,304.. $ 30,996,067.. $ 14,443,884

Here's a funny note about Rutgers, SU made more from Mens sports than Rutgers' did for its whole department, including State Aid to balance the budget. For Rutgers to be self supporting and equal SU's revenues they are going to need to make an additional $40M per year as a result of its move to the BIG from where it is now.

Based on this SU could end up leaping over FSU, UVA, UNC and Duke in Gross Rev once it recieves its cut from the new contract.
And the ACC will "wake up Monday morning" to discover that its three highest-grossing athletic departments are ones that they just added. We can probably jockey to keep that 3rd place spot in perpetuity. ND and Louisville will probably be kings going forward.

And the ACC will "wake up Monday morning" to discover that its three highest-grossing athletic departments are ones that they just added. We can probably jockey to keep that 3rd place spot in perpetuity. ND and Louisville will probably be kings going forward.

Ya know we have the dome to thank for much of that even though JB was vehemently against it moving hoops from Manley to the dome turned our hoops program ffrom a meh break even to slight profit program into one of the richest hoops programs in the US

Perhaps a dumb question but what is Unallocated Rev and why is that figure so far divergent from all of the others listed?

Do you have a link to these numbers. With SU being a private university, I thought they didn't release financials.

Do you have a link to these numbers. With SU being a private university, I thought they didn't release financials.
These would be filings with the Education Department to track Title IX compliance. The accuracy of the numbers has been called into question before by prominent persons on this forum who would probably know, but nonetheless they are official filings and it is all we have to work with.

Perhaps a dumb question but what is Unallocated Rev and why is that figure so far divergent from all of the others listed?
My guess is generic fundraising and donations to the AD.

My guess is generic fundraising and donations to the AD.

Might it also include student fees? Ruttie and UConn grab significant amounts of revenue from their students each year to funnel into their sports programs.

Might it also include student fees? Ruttie and UConn grab significant amounts of revenue from their students each year to funnel into their sports programs.
It's tough to say, because I don't think there is a uniform accounting standard governing how schools must classify revenue. The last time I crunched these numbers in any detail, very few schools reported a net deficit, and some reported that their budgets balanced exactly, down to the penny. "Unallocated revenue" in those cases is almost certainly a raid on the general fund.

It is surprising to see Syracuse and Duke so far outside the curve on that number, though. Maybe fans of those schools, and their bean counters, are just really good at indicating and keeping track of where revenue comes from. :)

Is there any good source you know of for seeing which schools support their athletic departments with student fees?

Yep, student fees, general fund transfers, direct state aid to the school. Also includes contributions to the athletic department.

It's tough to say, because I don't think there is a uniform accounting standard governing how schools must classify revenue. The last time I crunched these numbers in any detail, very few schools reported a net deficit, and some reported that their budgets balanced exactly, down to the penny. "Unallocated revenue" in those cases is almost certainly a raid on the general fund.

It is surprising to see Syracuse and Duke so far outside the curve on that number, though. Maybe fans of those schools, and their bean counters, are just really good at indicating and keeping track of where revenue comes from. :)

Is there any good source you know of for seeing which schools support their athletic departments with student fees?

USA Today has a database of revenue by source for public schools.

Here's a funny note about Rutgers, SU made more from Mens sports than Rutgers' did for its whole department, including State Aid to balance the budget. For Rutgers to be self supporting and equal SU's revenues they are going to need to make an additional $40M per year as a result of its move to the BIG from where it is now.[/quote]

Interesting numbers, but we're not supposed to commenting on Rutgers anymore. ;)

USA Today has a database of revenue by source for public schools.
IIRC correctly UConn gets about $9M in direct subsidy from the Students (basically a student activity fee which gets Students into games for free) and Rutgirls gets around $14M. Rutgirls and to a lessor extent UConn have cooked the books for years.

IIRC correctly UConn gets about $9M in direct subsidy from the Students (basically a student activity fee which gets Students into games for free) and Rutgirls gets around $14M. Rutgirls and to a lessor extent UConn have cooked the books for years.

Maryland's AD has been hemorrhaging as well, and (like Rutgirls) not sure if the additional B1G revenue is going to rescue it financially.

Maryland's AD has been hemorrhaging as well, and (like Rutgirls) not sure if the additional B1G revenue is going to rescue it financially.

Maryland has been trying to run an athletic department as big as UNC's and UVA's for years with a budget the size of NC State's. If they had run an athletic department the size of NC State's, they would have come out much better financially and not had 10 sports or so that couldn't compete. Now look at them. They are going to try to keep up with an athletic department the size of Ohio State or Penn State? Good Luck!

Monies generated by message boards...

How does BC generate more revenue than VT and almost as much as Clemson? Numbers don't add up there since they aren't making up for football with hoops attendance. Is it due to hockey?

I was promised there would be no math :bang:
chevy_chase_no_math_thumbnail_12-24-11-1.jpg

Yeah, I've never seen a BC number before because the private schools are usually not released. That's a tough number to believe considering their lackluster support for the major sports.

I like that this confirms what I've been telling people, that Duke is not a poor sister financially in sports. People assume so because of their pathetic football performance, support and facilities, but they have plenty of sports money. Duke is not at any risk of being able to finance possible Division 4 changes.

One thing, these are from 2011, and FSU jumped to $100M for 2012, so Syracuse isn't quite as close to FSU as they are here. However, a significant portion of that was related to donations tied to a one-time expense, the indoor practice facility, so who knows how far they will come back to the pack in 2013.

Yeah, I've never seen a BC number before because the private schools are usually not released. That's a tough number to believe considering their lackluster support for the major sports.

I like that this confirms what I've been telling people, that Duke is not a poor sister financially in sports. People assume so because of their pathetic football performance, support and facilities, but they have plenty of sports money. Duke is not at any risk of being able to finance possible Division 4 changes.

One thing, these are from 2011, and FSU jumped to $100M for 2012, so Syracuse isn't quite as close to FSU as they are here. However, a significant portion of that was related to donations tied to a one-time expense, the indoor practice facility, so who knows how far they will come back to the pack in 2013.

I'm guessing SU's figures substantially improved for 2012 as well.

The ACC just needs to perform a little better and it will be a superior conference to the B1G. The B1G has the longest drought of any conference for championships - 2002 for Ohio State Football. PAC 12 - 2005 USC football; Big 12 - 2008 Kansas Basketball; ACC - 2010 or 2013 if you want to count Louisville Basketball; SEC - 2012 Alabama Football. The B1G's product is very mediocre. I'm kind of hoping they sign with Fox 1 when their contract is up so Sportscenter can put the conference on the back burner and focus on the real winners.