A little help please, I have a bad knee | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

A little help please, I have a bad knee

A knee replacement
is one of the potential side effects from the gel that your knee is in actually worse shape after the gel injection. If this is a week to two week thing, okay. But why would my knee hurt more after the gel injection than before it?

Also, and take this fwiw robots are fine but they haven’t been shown to be superior (though it’s still early) and most surgeons use robotics as an advertising tool.
before the gel injection I couldn't walk for more than say 8 minutes without an issue. Now I can't walk in to the next room. I'm not kidding.

is one of the potential side effects from the gel that your knee is in actually worse shape after the gel injection. If this is a week to two week thing, okay. But why would my knee hurt more after the gel injection than before it?

Sometimes people develop a reaction to the injection (redness swelling pain) that looks very similar to an infection but I think is just an inflammatory response. Sometimes I think it’s just a fact that your injecting more fluid into a closed space and it has nowhere to go.

Sometimes people develop a reaction to the injection (redness swelling pain) that looks very similar to an infection but I think is just an inflammatory response. Sometimes I think it’s just a fact that your injecting more fluid into a closed space and it has nowhere to go.
There is no redness. I am putting ice on it.

There is no redness. I am putting ice on it.

That sucks.

Most practices have an on call doctor to field calls, even today. It may not be a bad idea to call and see if they have anything to offer

That sucks.

Most practices have an on call doctor to field calls, even today. It may not be a bad idea to call and see if they have anything to offer
I was going to call tomorrow. You have actually given me something to think about. Maybe the problem is that the gel has no where to go and that is what is causing me pain. I am hopeful it subsides over the next week or so.

This may sound crazy but I think the dr said to me at some point, and I could be very wrong about this, that he might have to scrap the arthritus out. Is that even possible?

This may sound crazy but I think the dr said to me at some point, and I could be very wrong about this, that he might have to scrap the arthritus out. Is that even possible?

If you’re arthritis is really bone on bone? Not really.

That means there’s no cartilage over the weight bearing part of your knee. No scrapings gonna fix that.

I had the gel treatments for about 10 years. Worked very well for me. After the last one, I was feeling discomfort after about 3 months. Replacement was set for about 5 months later. My ortho man is very much in demand and considered one of the best in this part of the world.

During the surgery, doc said they scraped until it was very red. PT afterward was uncomfortable for the first two weeks, but no big deal. Having said that, I have a fairly high threshold for pain. Total PT time was about 3 months, but continued work on it at fitness center after that. Overall, excellent outcome.
The only thing that ever bothers me is not being comfortable kneeling down with that knee.

I don't believe age has as much to do with the time of replacement as your general condition. I was a lot older than Dasher when I had mine done.

the x-ray showed a gap and my Orthro drained my knee (there was a lot of fluid) and gave me a cortisone shot. The shot didn't work. Not for nothing, but he gave me the shot in the knee and it really seems that the pain is on the other side of the knee. Anyway, on Friday, I had a gel injection. he said that it might take two weeks until we know if it worked. Well, yesterday, my knee felt great. But today, it is worse yet, Anyone evr have the gel shot before? And I think if surgery is next (I sure hope not) I may ask for a different dr. Thoughts?
I went through all this for bone-on-bone osteoarthritis in the medial pocket. That's the side of your knee between your legs. they were bad enough that even I could look at the x-rays and see that there was something wrong. It was jarring when my doctor told me I would need knee replacement surgery. He always injected the gel or cortisone on the opposite side (for me, the outside). The gel worked, but he told me, and I knew, it was a stopgap measure. The relief would wear off in about 6 months (the exact amount of time my insurance company required me to wait between injections). I eventually got partial knee replacements because only the medial compartment was bone-on-bone; the cartilage in the lateral compartment (the outside of my knee) was OK. It was probably the smartest medical decision I ever made. No more pain! My doctor (a different one than the one who diagnosed the problem) preferred to do one knee at a time rather than both in the same session. It is an overnight stay in the hospital. I was on the table for an hour and a half. You'll have physical therapy sessions until you can bend your knee back over 100 degrees. I must say it was disconcerting the first time I saw the post-surgery x-rays of these white plastic and titanium things in my legs. Mine don't set off airport metal detectors, BTW.

I went through all this for bone-on-bone osteoarthritis in the medial pocket. That's the side of your knee between your legs. they were bad enough that even I could look at the x-rays and see that there was something wrong. It was jarring when my doctor told me I would need knee replacement surgery. He always injected the gel or cortisone on the opposite side (for me, the outside). The gel worked, but he told me, and I knew, it was a stopgap measure. The relief would wear off in about 6 months (the exact amount of time my insurance company required me to wait between injections). I eventually got partial knee replacements because only the medial compartment was bone-on-bone; the cartilage in the lateral compartment (the outside of my knee) was OK. It was probably the smartest medical decision I ever made. No more pain! My doctor (a different one than the one who diagnosed the problem) preferred to do one knee at a time rather than both in the same session. It is an overnight stay in the hospital. I was on the table for an hour and a half. You'll have physical therapy sessions until you can bend your knee back over 100 degrees. I must say it was disconcerting the first time I saw the post-surgery x-rays of these white plastic and titanium things in my legs. Mine don't set off airport metal detectors, BTW.
Hoo's, I swear you just repeated back to me my exact problem. I hope you can understand this and I think you can, I want the gel to work for 6 months. Let me get settled to the idea of the knee replacement. this whole thing has come out of nowhere. One day I am walking every day and the next, I can't walk more than 8 minutes. When you got the gel, did you have problems the next days? My knee is hurting worse after the gel shot than before. HOF says that might be because the gel has no where to go. And it might take some time to work it's way in to the system.

Hoo's, I swear you just repeated back to me my exact problem. I hope you can understand this and I think you can, I want the gel to work for 6 months. Let me get settled to the idea of the knee replacement. this whole thing has come out of nowhere. One day I am walking every day and the next, I can't walk more than 8 minutes. When you got the gel, did you have problems the next days? My knee is hurting worse after the gel shot than before. HOF says that might be because the gel has no where to go. And it might take some time to work it's way in to the system.
The gel worked well for me and I don't remember having any pain the next day, either from the injection or in the knee itself. I was always terrified when my doctor stuck me with the needle, both because I don't like needles and because I was convinced if I moved at all the thing would break off in my knee. Listen to whatever HOF tells you! The gel may have worked faster for me since the cartilage was completely gone in my medial pockets. I got the injections for like 2 years after first being diagnosed. It may have actually been quarterly rather than semiannually, but I knew that I really needed to get the surgery. My attitude toward getting the surgery got better once my first doctor said that partials would work well in my case since only one side was gone. I switched doctors only because my first doctor specialized in whole knee replacements and really recommended (without blatantly saying so) that I find a surgeon who did more partials than he did. My second doctor did about half and half when it came to partials vs. fulls. He was the team ortho for all Johns Hopkins sports.

Last edited:
before the gel injection I couldn't walk for more than say 8 minutes without an issue. Now I can't walk in to the next room. I'm not kidding.

I really don’t know much about this gel injection . You’re fairly young at 65 .. don’t push the surgery off till your older .. it makes the post op rehab harder

I really don’t know much about this gel injection . You’re fairly young at 65 .. don’t push the surgery off till your older .. it makes the post op rehab harder
The dr talked about scraping the arthritus out first. I'm all for that. If it comes to that.

This does seem strange that you go right from no problem to knee replacement. I was thinking too that the gel may have increased the pressure.

You can drink the hyaluronic acid, also.

I wonder if knee straps would help. They have pressure points, so put the pressure point on the side of the knee that's hurting, if you can pick a side. You could place a strap above and/or below the knee. The straps are more for tendonitis or chondromalacia, I believe. The chondromalacia is that gritty feeling that you might feel if you touch your knee cap while you move your knee joint. Now, if chondromalacia is the problem, you might put the pressure of the strap in the front.

This does seem strange that you go right from no problem to knee replacement. I was thinking too that the gel may have increased the pressure.

You can drink the hyaluronic acid, also.

I wonder if knee straps would help. They have pressure points, so put the pressure point on the side of the knee that's hurting, if you can pick a side. You could place a strap above and/or below the knee. The straps are more for tendonitis or chondromalacia, I believe. The chondromalacia is that gritty feeling that you might feel if you touch your knee cap while you move your knee joint. Now, if chondromalacia is the problem, you might put the pressure of the strap in the front.
If I do have chondromalacia, should I tell my girl friend?

The dr talked about scraping the arthritus out first. I'm all for that. If it comes to that.
I've never heard of this approach. there must be something lost in translation here.

I got great news today. Mr Dr. is not the least bit concerned. Just wait two weeks he says. Not a bit concerned. Meanwhile, I can't walk from my living room to my kitchen without my knee buckling more than once. But it is a relief to hear that he is not concerned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom