A look ahead to next year | Syracusefan.com

A look ahead to next year

DirtDog44

Walk On
Much is to be determined yet regarding this season but it is late enough in the year to start glancing at next years team. Is it me or will next year's squad be one of the ugliest we've had on record (at least from a numbers standpoint). We lose White III, Gillon, Coleman, Roberson and Lydon will most certainly be gone. That leaves the cupboard quite empty. It also appears that there won't be much in the way of 5th year seniors to choose from. Do we go the JUCO route or do we stay with what we have. Someone give me some positive news on this Friday morning.

Much is to be determined yet regarding this season but it is late enough in the year to start glancing at next years team. Is it me or will next year's squad be one of the ugliest we've had on record (at least from a numbers standpoint). We lose White III, Gillon, Coleman, Roberson and Lydon will most certainly be gone. That leaves the cupboard quite empty. It also appears that there won't be much in the way of 5th year seniors to choose from. Do we go the JUCO route or do we stay with what we have. Someone give me some positive news on this Friday morning.
We will have a full team next year. At this time last year, you knew that Gillon and white would be 5th year players here? There will be plenty of 5th year guys hitting the "open market". Plus, we are not done recruiting for this years team. And Lydon hasn't left yet.

We will have a full team next year. At this time last year, you knew that Gillon and white would be 5th year players here? There will be plenty of 5th year guys hitting the "open market". Plus, we are not done recruiting for this years team. And Lydon hasn't left yet.
Just go with all 5th year seniors. Syracuse could establish a reputation for that and corner the market on successful, mature guys who played on lower level teams and want a chance in the big time.

Just go with all 5th year seniors. Syracuse could establish a reputation for that and corner the market on successful, mature guys who played on lower level teams and want a chance in the big time.
Do we have any HS recruits for next year at all? I try to follow the recruiting thread but get confused. Sidibe? The problem I saw this year with 5th year seniors is that it takes a rather long time to pick up the technicalities of JB's zone defense. This year's offense has been one of the best in recent years, mostly from the 3-point line, but the defense has been horrible to put it mildly.

Do we have any HS recruits for next year at all? I try to follow the recruiting thread but get confused. Sidibe? The problem I saw this year with 5th year seniors is that it takes a rather long time to pick up the technicalities of JB's zone defense. This year's offense has been one of the best in recent years, mostly from the 3-point line, but the defense has been horrible to put it mildly.
It seemed that there was a lack of cohesion early in the season which I attributed to guys on the team looking at the 2 grad transfers as outsiders who haven't paid dues and aren't truly "Orange". Of course, it does take time for any team to gel but what could be done is to play a much easier non-com schedule while bringing transfer up to speed on the nuances of zone based basketball. I'm serious, the P5 is triple A sports so just dispense with the college format and do what it takes to be the best.

It seemed that there was a lack of cohesion early in the season which I attributed to guys on the team looking at the 2 grad transfers as outsiders who haven't paid dues and aren't truly "Orange". Of course, it does take time for any team to gel but what could be done is to play a much easier non-com schedule while bringing transfer up to speed on the nuances of zone based basketball. I'm serious, the P5 is triple A sports so just dispense with the college format and do what it takes to be the best.
Maybe we should ask 5th year transfers to come for a summer session so they can hang with our other players and get some good rapport going.

It is pointless to speculate right now about next season's roster--too many unknowns.
  1. We don't definitively know if Lydon will make the jump or return.
  2. We don't definitively know if Battle will make the jump or return.
  3. We don't know whether Frank will be back or not.
  4. We don't know how the rest of the class of 2017 is going to shake out.
  5. We don't know whether we'll be able to land Ayala, and even if we do whether he'll reclassify to graduate in 2017.
  6. We don't know what 5th year transfers will emerge as options, who we might land, and what lineup holes / gaps they'll be able to plug.
  7. We don't know whether the staff will be able to stick their thumb into the JUCO or intentional market and pull out a plum.

Maybe we should ask 5th year transfers to come for a summer session so they can hang with our other players and get some good rapport going.
That would be a good idea. What I'm saying is that this works, I've seen enough, let's go all in.

There will be plenty of 5th year grads available. The only issue will be if there are any that fit our specific needs and will be able to assimilate to the zone quicker. We'll need a PG again, and a scoring wing, again.

Hopefully that Egor kid from Rice will be available and interested.

It is pointless to speculate right now about next season's roster--too many unknowns.
  1. We don't definitively know if Lydon will make the jump or return.
  2. We don't definitively know if Battle will make the jump or return.
  3. We don't know whether Frank will be back or not.
  4. We don't know how the rest of the class of 2017 is going to shake out.
  5. We don't know whether we'll be able to land Ayala, and even if we do whether he'll reclassify to graduate in 2017.
  6. We don't know what 5th year transfers will emerge as options, who we might land, and what lineup holes / gaps they'll be able to plug.
  7. We don't know whether the staff will be able to stick their thumb into the JUCO or intentional market and pull out a plum.
Could you add "We don't know if Thompson will jump or return." His play seems to slowly improving. Yeah, still lots (and lots!) of rough edges but who know what NBA scouts see (6'10" guy who can shoot 12-15 footers with ease) or who is whispering in his ear. Include that to #1 thru 3 leaving, that could mean only 2 returning scholarship players! Maybe far fetched but what a calamity if that were to happen. Could need 4 or 5 5th years to even fill out a roster.

Could you add "We don't know if Thompson will jump or return." His play seems to slowly improving. Yeah, still lots (and lots!) of rough edges but who know what NBA scouts see (6'10" guy who can shoot 12-15 footers with ease) or who is whispering in his ear. Include that to #1 thru 3 leaving, that could mean only 2 returning scholarship players! Maybe far fetched but what a calamity if that were to happen. Could need 4 or 5 5th years to even fill out a roster.
There are over 300 schools in this country. And we have three people that are going to leave early? And we lost to St john's by 30 at home.

There isn't a draft board on earth that has Taurean Thompson listed. You have to be able to play two ends of the court and rebound if you are 6'10.

There isn't a draft board on earth that has Taurean Thompson listed. You have to be able to play two ends of the court and rebound if you are 6'10.
Not yet. But, watch him score 20 in the second half against Virginia and decide to take his talents elsewhere.

no way lydon is ready for the nba but im sure he'll go cuz our guys never stay that extra year.

I'm not convinced Lydon will be gone. If he gets to the combine and measures a tick under 6-8 in his bare feet & does poorly in the agility drills, the NBA could realize his best position is as a college zone center and the bloom will be off the rose

I'm not convinced Lydon will be gone. If he gets to the combine and measures a tick under 6-8 in his bare feet & does poorly in the agility drills, the NBA could realize his best position is as a college zone center and the bloom will be off the rose
He was measured for USA basketball without shoes at a tick under 6'9" and that was when he was 18. A lot of camp measurements might be confusing, but USA basketball is pretty legit.

Not in this years draft. When a guy like Giles is showing up out of the top ten in some places, TT is not going in the first round. He has to show something defensively and rebounding wise. While he may be smooth for a frosh, he is a long ways away from being an NBA guy.

Lydon may be the one guy in hundreds who just likes playing college ball. If he's gone, the Gonezaga block alone last season makes him a very special player in our Orange history. I wish him the best. But of course I would like him to stay.

At this point, unless he vastly improves, I think Battle comes back. Thompson too. Thompson is the most intriguing to me for next year. I think he as the most potential to keep us competitive.

We also have 2 nice recruits coming in so that may help.

I would expect now that we have a great reputation for putting 5th year players on the map we will continue to draw on that pool. We sure need another PG. Maybe Howard will make the leap from dam it to okay.

... Battle have a chance to get drafted.
I do think Battle has a chance, though probably a pretty small one. He's looked good (and not so good) in conference play. He's in a 3P funk right now, but if he rights the ship and continues to drive the ball - he could turn some heads. Again, very low chance he goes.

Thompson, no way.

If Lydon is back, we could be a pretty good team. Without him, we are going to have a less talented, less balanced roster than we have right now. We desperately need a couple wing scorers for next year (and I am also in the camp that we will need a new PG). We have never been so understocked at this point in time in any of the 45 years I have been following Orange basketball.

If Lydon is back, we could be a pretty good team. Without him, we are going to have a less talented, less balanced roster than we have right now. We desperately need a couple wing scorers for next year (and I am also in the camp that we will need a new PG). We have never been so understocked at this point in time in any of the 45 years I have been following Orange basketball.

45 years, dam. I thought my 37 was good.

We may be headed for a few off years until coach Hop establishes himself. I think we struggle for 3 or 4 years. Once coach Hop makes the NCAA tournament and with any success we will return to greatness in recruiting the following year. Without a HOF coach recruiting will be much harder.

45 years, dam. I thought my 37 was good.

We may be headed for a few off years until coach Hop establishes himself. I think we struggle for 3 or 4 years. Once coach Hop makes the NCAA tournament and with any success we will return to greatness in recruiting the following year. Without a HOF coach recruiting will be much harder.

This is where my opinion is probably not very popular, or at least something most of us don't want to say out loud: I'm sure Hop will be offered at least a 3 year contract and he will be paid what a first time head coach at a P5 school should be paid.

That said, what happens if Hop's team only goes 15-16 in year one? What happens if he goes 9-21? I mean, God forbid that the wheels come off the bus, but right now we have no one on the roster to speak of. We don't even have a full team to put out there if Frank is shown the door.

So let's say Hop starts out with a losing record in year one. That would be unprecedented for most of our lifetimes. And then say in year two he is around .500, with another losing record in the ACC. Where will our recruiting be if that happens?

Does he even get to the third year of the contract under those circumstances? If I'm in Wildhack's chair, I don't think so. With football still in the baby steps stage of getting better (and with the attendance problems we have for football), I don't think the AD's office can let Mike go 3 or 4 years to start winning. There's too much money at stake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom