A look ahead to next year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

A look ahead to next year

Just something to note since I was looking at Lydon's stats, he hasn't missed a free throw in 9 games, 25 consecutive makes, and he didn't even attempt one against NC State. Since the Georgetown loss, he is 43 of 47 (91.4%). Since John Gillon last missed more than one FT in a game (St. Johns), he is 41 of 46 (89.1%) over 10 games. Since AWIII last missed more than one FT in a game (G'Town), he is 42 of 48 (87.5%). All three are shooting better than 80% on the season from the FT line. Since 92-93, SU has only had 17 players shoot more than 50 FTs and average better than 80% in a season and only three did it in more than one season (GMac was money all four seasons and still holds the top marks at 91% and 90%). And only once before has a team had as many as two do so in the same season (05-06 with GMac and Devo). This would be the first season with three players accomplishing the feat.

Pretty crazy run those three are on.

Last edited:
I feel confident that we'll have:
  • Battle (So. Guard)
  • Thompson (So. Forward)
  • Moyer (So. Forward)
  • Chukwu (Jr. Center)
  • Sidibe (Fr. Center)
  • Brissett (Fr. Forward)
But that makes us desperately thin at guard, and thin everywhere else. Thats only 6 scholarships players. I don't know anything about Howard but I really hope he can pull it together and move forward with the Cuse.

• Battle (So. Guard)
  • Thompson (So. Forward)
  • Moyer (So. Forward)
  • Chukwu (Jr. Center)
  • Sidibe (Fr. Center)
  • Brissett (Fr. Forward)
But that makes us desperately thin at guard, and thin everywhere else. Thats only 6 scholarships players. I don't know anything about Howard but I really hope he can pull it together and move forward with the Cuse.

Even with Howard back that is a sub .500 team.

• Battle (So. Guard)
  • Thompson (So. Forward)
  • Moyer (So. Forward)
  • Chukwu (Jr. Center)
  • Sidibe (Fr. Center)
  • Brissett (Fr. Forward)
Next year is shaping up as the worst roster in SU history. We'll need to add multiple impact players like White/Gillon this year, and we're still probably a good chunk behind this year's team.

Lydon and Roberson at 23 and 52 here:
2017 Mock Draft | NBADraft.net
Battle not listed.
Surprising to see Roberson so close to Thomas Bryant, all things considered.

Should/would Lydon go if he sticks in the 20-25 range?

I wouldn't advise him to go if he is projected in the 20s, he could easily find himself in the 2nd round. I guess it depends how he finishes out his season and if he can get more name recognition.

Lydon and Roberson at 23 and 52 here:
2017 Mock Draft | NBADraft.net
Battle not listed.
Surprising to see Roberson so close to Thomas Bryant, all things considered.

There is no chance in any universe that Roberson gets drafted. That's just ridiculous.

I wouldn't advise him to go if he is projected in the 20s, he could easily find himself in the 2nd round. I guess it depends how he finishes out his season and if he can get more name recognition.

What in his game in our system do you think he could really improve on to move him from mid 20s as a soph to a higher spot one year later as a junior?

If he's projected in the 20s he must leave.

Like many others here I expect Lydon to go pro after this season. However the 2017 draft looks like it may be one of the deepest in a long time, and while he would be another year older(about 22) I think he could go higher in 2018. At least that's how my Orange colored glasses hope Lydon thinks after the combine.

what about the universe where you don't have to catch, dribble, pass, or shoot a basketball?

i think he could ball out there.
Dennis Rodman says "Hello."
But, then again, he actually was a space alien, so—who knows what universe, indeed.

latest

But, then again, he actually was a space alien, so—who knows what universe, indeed.

latest

Next years lineup at this point will be

PG Autry
SG Battle
SF Moyer
PF Thompson
C Chuku

12-20 and the NIT

Worst team in SU modern era

LOL. You realize we are going after a lot of players right?

Who?

We've going after a lot of players for a while. We've only had two bites so far. And I said, this is the lineup at this point. Hopefully we can add a few pieces.

Who?

We've going after a lot of players for a while. We've only had two bites so far. And I said, this is the lineup at this point. Hopefully we can add a few pieces.

5th years. Euros. Some under the radar guys. Our Current Roster we have now wasnt set until Aug 30. Lot's of time to go.

latest

Roberson isn't in the same stratosphere as Rodman. The comparison is one that shouldn't even happen.

What in his game in our system do you think he could really improve on to move him from mid 20s as a soph to a higher spot one year later as a junior?

If he's projected in the 20s he must leave.
If he can learn to put the ball on the floor with good results that's worth a lot of money.

I don't think he should leave unless he's in the 12-15 territory and maybe not then.

This is where my opinion is probably not very popular, or at least something most of us don't want to say out loud: I'm sure Hop will be offered at least a 3 year contract and he will be paid what a first time head coach at a P5 school should be paid.

That said, what happens if Hop's team only goes 15-16 in year one? What happens if he goes 9-21? I mean, God forbid that the wheels come off the bus, but right now we have no one on the roster to speak of. We don't even have a full team to put out there if Frank is shown the door.

So let's say Hop starts out with a losing record in year one. That would be unprecedented for most of our lifetimes. And then say in year two he is around .500, with another losing record in the ACC. Where will our recruiting be if that happens?

Does he even get to the third year of the contract under those circumstances? If I'm in Wildhack's chair, I don't think so. With football still in the baby steps stage of getting better (and with the attendance problems we have for football), I don't think the AD's office can let Mike go 3 or 4 years to start winning. There's too much money at stake.

Hop already has a contract. It's probably for more than one year.

LOL. You realize we are going after a lot of players right?

All of them went elsewhere. Go click on the link at the top of the recruiting page. We have NO open offers for the 2017 class.

Hop already has a contract. It's probably for more than one year.

Yes, I agree. I would guess he has a 3 year contract to start with. I'm pretty sure Matt Doherty only lasted 2 years at North Carolina, though, when they tanked.

It is pointless to speculate right now about next season's roster--too many unknowns.
  1. We don't definitively know if Lydon will make the jump or return.
  2. We don't definitively know if Battle will make the jump or return.
  3. We don't know whether Frank will be back or not.
  4. We don't know how the rest of the class of 2017 is going to shake out.
  5. We don't know whether we'll be able to land Ayala, and even if we do whether he'll reclassify to graduate in 2017.
  6. We don't know what 5th year transfers will emerge as options, who we might land, and what lineup holes / gaps they'll be able to plug.
  7. We don't know whether the staff will be able to stick their thumb into the JUCO or intentional market and pull out a plum.

8. We don't know whether Thompson will ever learn how to play defense. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom