A look ahead | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

A look ahead

Making the tournament without having to sweat it out on Selection Sunday is my goal for the team next season. I don't expect a conference title, Final Four, or NC next season. I just hope nobody, but Rak Christmas is playing their last season during the 2014-2015 season.

Making the tournament without having to sweat it out on Selection Sunday is my goal for the team next season.

I just hope nobody, but Rak Christmas is playing their last season during the 2014-2015 season.

you realize we can't have both of these things next year right?

you realize we can't have both of these things next year right?
Rak is the only Senior on the team next year and I think we could go like 22-8 and not be a bubble team on selection Sunday next year.
So yes we could accomplish both of my goals.The point about Rak being the only guy playing his last year meant we get none of the incoming Freshman or returning players declaring early for the NBA draft next year.

I was with you after the first two but fell out of the wagon on the last three. It's not that I disagree with you, we just don't know. There is no way to know until they take the court next year. I do agree with your Joseph comment in that we will likely see the pace being pushed more. Although, that isn't saying too much... how could it be any slower than last year? That being said, can Joseph play nearly as methodical and in control as what Ennis did this year? Pushing the pace is fine but not at the expense of a low assist to turnover ratio.

In some ways not all. Obviously they may not be better all around players and aren't as experienced but my the nature of their skill sets they inherently solve some of our offensive issues.

Looking ahead to 2014 - 2015 it's pretty clear that we're in for a bit of a watershed year. Between lack of opportunity for the freshmen, early departures and graduations we have a very inexperienced core that lacks obvious objective and subjective leadership. I took a look at the returning points and minutes played expecting to see the numbers bear this out but was a bit surprised to see how historically unproductive the returning core has been. In fact, in terms of returning points per game the seven scholarship players who will take the court next season will be the least productive in JB's career and it's not even close.

Ten lowest:

10. 1995 - 1996 - 38.3 ppg
Making the tournament without having to sweat it out on Selection Sunday is my goal for the team next season. I don't expect a conference title, Final Four, or NC next season. I just hope nobody, but Rak Christmas is playing their last season during the 2014-2015 season.
I think that McCullough is a one and gone player for Syracuse.and Jimmy has yet to corral a big time inside player e.g. Diagneor any of the other similar players to join the Orange. It going to be up to Hop to finish that part of the job I think Jimmy is going after the 20-2015 season at the latest.
9. 2007 - 2008 - 37.4
8. 1983 - 1984 - 35.1
7. 2005 - 2006 - 35.1
6. 2013 - 2014 - 33.4
5. 2000 - 2001 - 33.1
4. 2009 - 2010 - 32.8
3. 2012 - 2013 - 31.5
2. 2002 - 2003 - 29.7
1. 2014 - 2015 - 25.4

Returning minutes per game are very similar with next year's squad returning 83.3 mpg, second lowest in the JB era to 2000 - 2001's 82.1 although I couldn't find minutes played prior to 1983. These are the only two teams to return less than 90 minutes a game.

The good news is that this effort was a complete waste of time since there is no real correlation between returning experience and wins. In fact some of our most successful seasons are included in the 10 listed above including the national championship squad and three of JB's four Final Four teams. Looking at those teams specifically a combination of emerging returning talent (MCW, Z, Todd Burgan, Hakeem) and strong freshman play (Melo and GMac) defined the seasons. That's what makes me so excited about next year - the unknown factor. Can K-Jo2 and Chris Mac be impact freshman? Will T-Rob2 or Silent G take advantage of the opportunity and become a breakout star and leader? What can we expect from BJ and Buss as playing time will be wide open on the wings? Can Rak and TC develop a more consistent presence to form a solid inside - outside combination? And what can we expect from a new, transformed DC3?

Stay tuned. Answers will start to be unveiled in 7 months.

Rak is the only Senior on the team next year and I think we could go like 22-8 and not be a bubble team on selection Sunday next year.
So yes we could accomplish both of my goals.The point about Rak being the only guy playing his last year meant we get none of the incoming Freshman or returning players declaring early for the NBA draft next year.

I know that was your point. To be off the bubble going into the conference tourney's you need to be a 4 seed or higher, aka in the top 25, aka someone besides Rak is playing good, meaning there is a good chance they could be thinking about leaving early.

We need one of McCullough or Roberson to play exceptionally well to be off the bubble, which will put them in talk for the 1st round.

I know that was your point. To be off the bubble going into the conference tourney's you need to be a 4 seed or higher, aka in the top 25, aka someone besides Rak is playing good, meaning there is a good chance they could be thinking about leaving early.

We need one of McCullough or Roberson to play exceptionally well to be off the bubble, which will put them in talk for the 1st round.
You don't need to be a top 25 to be solidly in the field. Pitt was crap and pretty much mediocre the entire season, but they were never really on the bubble. They beat UNC in the ACCT, but they were given a 9 seed. Pitt beat 3 NCAA teams last year NC State, Stanford and UNC and they weren't really a bubble team because the bubble has become extremely weak recently now that their are 68 slots and 3 extra teams are getting in.

As long as we beat the teams below us and beat a couple of NCAA teams at home we will be in the NCAA tournament without sweating it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom