A look at the schedule... | Syracusefan.com

A look at the schedule...

jimsonjunction

2nd String
Something that a lot of posters have talked about is the ability of our team to improve as the season goes on...the idea that we'll take some lumps early on but gain momentum towards the end, eventually peaking in March.

We won't start 25-0, but obviously no one knows how the season will unfold. So I decided to go back and take another look at our upcoming schedule. I'm hoping to see if anyone else shares my concern with the difficulty of our finishing stretch.

Kennesaw State
Hampton
California (MSG)
Iowa/Texas (MSG)
Loyola
Holy Cross
@Michigan
St. Johns
Louisiana Tech
@Villanova
Colgate
Long Beach State
Cornell

@Virginia Tech
@Georgia Tech
Florida State
Wake Forest
Clemson
Boston College
Miami
@North Carolina
Virginia Tech
@Pittsburgh
@Boston College
Duke
Louisville
Pittsburgh
@Notre Dame
@Duke
Virginia
@NC State

Now I know it's early (the season hasn't even started), so don't take this as me predicting losses or freaking out. I think we're in for a great season with a lot of memories and wins. But I'm having a hard time envisioning the "take our lumps, peak in March" prediction.

Yes, the OOC schedule is tough this year...I'm still guessing we only lose ~2 of those games.

After that we have a tough test @Virginia, but after that, we can rack up some wins. The scary part starts on Feb 14th with Duke, Louisville, Pitt, @ND, @Duke, Virginia. Hopefully we can win half of these games, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to lose 4 or 5. If that happens, the season will follow a trajectory not too unlike last season...clearly not as extreme, but still "struggling" down the stretch.

The good news is that the ACC and NCAA tourney is a fresh start. It was only two years ago when we collapsed, got to the finals of the BET and then the Final Four. I guess what I'm saying (through this extremely long-winded post) is that even if we suffer similar struggles down the stretch (and I expect we will), it doesn't mean it will carry over to the post-season.

I'm sure some of you are thinking "dude, relax and enjoy the season." I'm simply so excited for this thing to get started, I can't help but look ahead.

Last edited:
The ACC scheduled is clearly much tougher in the 2nd half...but with this young squad I like that we should get off to a good start and build some confidence.

Put up or shut up. Make your predictions in the predictions thread now. Lol

We are better than all but a few teams on that schedule.

Last edited:
I look at that schedule and figure we get to the championship game at the garden against Iowa or Texas. It will be like home court for us but that game is a toss up in my mind at least until I see more of both SU and these other teams.

After that @ Michigan is going to be a major test for our young guys. The atmosphere will be crazy. @ Nova doesn't bother me as much because it will be at the Whacovia center with lots of SU fans.

The beginning of the ACC schedule sets up nice for us to be 7-0 in conference heading into @ UNC.

Getting Louisville and Virginia home is big. I'm not saying we are going to be better than them, but we sure will have a better chance beating both of those teams at the dome than we would away. I think we get off to a strong start at the beginning of the ACC season. The hardest games on the schedule will be at Duke, Pitt, UNC, and Notre Dame.

I'll say 21-10, 5 seed in the NCAA (After losing in ACC finals), and lord knows what happens then. Complete crap shoot. Maybe Mr. "Shaky Potatos" gets hot for six games in a row and Syracuse wins the dang thing! Losses in OOC: Iowa, At Mich, At Nova... In ACC: At UVA, At ND, Home vs UL, Duke twice, Pitt twice.

I look at that schedule and figure we get to the championship game at the garden against Iowa or Texas. It will be like home court for us but that game is a toss up in my mind at least until I see more of both SU and these other teams.

After that @ Michigan is going to be a major test for our young guys. The atmosphere will be crazy. @ Nova doesn't bother me as much because it will be at the Whacovia center with lots of SU fans.

The beginning of the ACC schedule sets up nice for us to be 7-0 in conference heading into @ UNC.

Agree with all of this. I'm definitely expecting a good start to the ACC season. I'm also mentally preparing myself for the rough stretch towards the end. Hopefully we can maintain some momentum and keep our confidence heading into post-season play.

I cannot wait until we play UVA at the dome and we lay an ass kicking on them...I'm very excited about this season...Can't wait till Monday night when I get to see them play at the dome...

Just as an aside, we're playing @Virginia TECH, not UVA, in early January. While tough, that game should be a win. Even with Buzz Williams patrolling the sidelines.

EDIT: I need to read threads before posting in them!

You mean patrolling the court ;-)
He is the coach most deserving of having to wear an ankle monitor during games.

Wait. Maybe I'm on to something.
All coaches should wear them.
If they go outside the box a buzzer goes off and the other team shoots a technical.
Or the offending coach loses a scholarship.
Or something like that.
The NCAA can figure it out.

I'll say 21-10, 5 seed in the NCAA (After losing in ACC finals), and lord knows what happens then. Complete crap shoot. Maybe Mr. "Shaky Potatos" gets hot for six games in a row and Syracuse wins the dang thing! Losses in OOC: Iowa, At Mich, At Nova... In ACC: At UVA, At ND, Home vs UL, Duke twice, Pitt twice.

The only way Cuse plays Iowa is if both teams lose or win in the 2K Classic. I think Iowa will be a very good team this year, but I can't see them beating Texas. As for Cal, they are a team that won 21 games last year, but lost 2 of their top 4 double digit scorers. With 4 frosh and 5 Sophs on the roster, sophs Bird and Mathews got significant minutes last year, avg 20mins and just over 8 pts a game. I believe our game with them will be a toss up. Maybe a slight edge to Cal. So your call, Cuse playing Iowa could happen.

We never start slow. JB is Mr. November.

I know the chances are slim, but I really hope Boeheim goes a little deeper on the bench this season. We have a young team i'd like to see him try and establish a bench. We don't have a lot of offensive firepower so we could use a deep bench fishing for a hot hand on different nights. I mean this may force JB to abandon his tag as Mr. Novemeber, but the team could benefit from it when it matters in March.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom