"A lot of things are going to change..." | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

"A lot of things are going to change..."

You know what is so irritating? If this young team had the same schedule as 2017 with Sienna and St Johns on the schedule instead of supplanting them with Navy n Rutgers then we'd be 9-4 n many here would be applauding Desko and giving more credit to this young team than bashing it at every turn
I understand the schedule is more challenging than last year. I’m upset with the lack of improvement as the season has progressed. There are players out there making the same mistakes as the beginning of the season. Normally you see an improvement over time based on familiarity with the system and personnel. To me, that is on the staff and how they practice/prepare during the week.

I understand the schedule is more challenging than last year. I’m upset with the lack of improvement as the season has progressed. There are players out there making the same mistakes as the beginning of the season. Normally you see an improvement over time based on familiarity with the system and personnel. To me, that is on the staff and how they practice/prepare during the week.
Please. The team played just fine in most facets at UVA n should have won.. Put up plenty of good shots, had few turnovers on sheety field, kept the crease clear, cleared the ball well. Off games at fogo n G n vet cd but we harp on one poor play by mid who otherwise had strong game is just nitpiking . No mention of Duk D having holes all over, Lars complimenting everyone in pressers win or lose rather now Corrigan suddenly having it all figured out after thirty years. Nauseating

why should they have won? I didn't really walk away thinking that

That field was a disgrace and quite unfortunate considering the circumstance. I realize both teams had to play on it, but it's UVA's home field, so they are much more familiar with the the bad spots from the very bad spots, etc.

We had several excellent shots on goal in that 4th Q, that their goalie got burned on, except he was very fortunate on multiple pipe hits. That ground ball muff that we should've easily picked up late in the game, was just horrible fundamentals in attempting a one had scoop, on a grass and slick turf. Go with two hands there, value the possession first and foremost. That boneheaded self-inflicted unforced error, led instantaneously to a quick UVA goal at a crucial moment. That was brutal! Not to mention Madonna being the polar opposite this game of standing on his head.

I agree with everything said. Solomon's cutting game negated by that sheet field more than any Va defender. We had several good looks inside n their goalie came up with big stops on Voight, Bomberry n some others then the fing pipes. Yes, that helicopter stickcheck could have been a takeaway to possibly tie but that mid otherwise had strong game that contributed throughout the night. Another crucial moment was being 2 man up n UVA smothering Refhuss missle, somehow maintaining possession. n va running out the minute. Thought we could have run more on Va especially in 3q but overall the team played well enough to win this road game

why should they have won? I didn't really walk away thinking that
That was about as evenly matched as it could be. Could have went either way. SU rang the goalpost a couple times at the end. Faceoffs gave UVA extra posessions and I feel that was the big difference. The field conditions seemed to negatively impact both teams footing.

everything mentioned is just sort of the way things go. Could have won - yes. Should have won - no. For every bit of Syracuse nitpicking UVA could've done the same.

The field was brutal and an embarrassment for a tournament but all of the teams had to play on it so it's a wash.

Any talk of brutal, boneheaded, lack of fundamentals, self inflicted, muffs is bad lacrosse and means you should lose not win.

Not scoring 2-men up is bad. 10 turnovers is pretty good but we didn't capitalize more on their 17. bad.

We could have won the game but this is a very average team right now.

"A lot of things are going to change this weekend," Desko said. "Things are going to change next weekend. We still have another game to play."

Unfortunately, SU's problematic credentials for even getting into the tournament won't change. You will be able to make a case either way. That is what this program has devolved to. It used to be that the anything less than a final four appearance was a violation of nature's order. Now you have a team that can't even pick up a ground ball and has trouble catching and passing. ...Oh, but there is so much parity.

The one thing that should change probably won't.
Love it when your type get to leap from your chair to the keyboard with such terrific insight. Question for you, if the two pipe shots Dordevic took in the Va game, and and a bounce or two and pipe shot in the Navy game had gone Cuse's way, would you still be saying the same? No, no, there's no parity, the landscape is the same as it was fifty years ago. Good players can still only go to Hop or Cuse if they want to play for the best. Go to any Hop site and you can find your same sentiments about their coach and program as you express here. The times, my friend, they are indeed a changin'. (But you go ahead and live in the past with your head in the sand.)

Love it when your type get to leap from your chair to the keyboard with such terrific insight. Question for you, if the two pipe shots Dordevic took in the Va game, and and a bounce or two and pipe shot in the Navy game had gone Cuse's way, would you still be saying the same? No, no, there's no parity, the landscape is the same as it was fifty years ago. Good players can still only go to Hop or Cuse if they want to play for the best. Go to any Hop site and you can find your same sentiments about their coach and program as you express here. The times, my friend, they are indeed a changin'. (But you go ahead and live in the past with your head in the sand.)
Big Time! (That's the closest approximation of Columbia blue in the palette.) Coaches at "storied powers" in various sports lead tenuous lives. There were people on the hard-core ND board that were talking during the season about who they'd like to see brought in to replace Brian Kelly the year they went to the NC game vs. Florida State!

I go to a bunch of schools' message boards. There are 2 common complaints that cut across sports and schools. "Why doesn't the administration support the ______ team like it used to?" and "Why don't the students come to the games like they used to?"

Last edited:
by any metric used the trajectory of this program is downwards. that alone says to me anyways some change is needed. hey parity in college lacrosse is a great thing . unless you are one of the top final four dog getting passed by lesser mutts . then it sucks. we need to find someone to take us back to the top . THIS IS SYRACUSE LACROSSE DAMMITT ! final 4 or bust . who would surrender this legacy of excellence and say "all is well" not me !

Last edited:
I only watched the game in its entirety because of an early get up to coachbon sat morning and also issues with non demand on ESPN player in U.K., anyway enough of my issues.

To be honest it was a good game and if we had finished our chances it wouldn’t have been close, a mixture of poor shot selection and relaxing on their shots was a big factor! Voight inside, Bomberry, Trimboli, the two pipe shots.....

Also we should have stopped two of Kraus goals and Cunningham was unfortunately at fault as he was slow to go! Maybe a bit of rust when coming back from his injury but Melly did a great job on Kraus.

This is the squad we have right now and think the staff have done a great job! We have and are over achieving!

I only watched the game in its entirety because of an early get up to coachbon sat morning and also issues with non demand on ESPN player in U.K., anyway enough of my issues.

To be honest it was a good game and if we had finished our chances it wouldn’t have been close, a mixture of poor shot selection and relaxing on their shots was a big factor! Voight inside, Bomberry, Trimboli, the two pipe shots...

Also we should have stopped two of Kraus goals and Cunningham was unfortunately at fault as he was slow to go! Maybe a bit of rust when coming back from his injury but Melly did a great job on Kraus.

This is the squad we have right now and think the staff have done a great job! We have and are over achieving!
Clear view from abroad. Refreshing

To be honest it was a good game and if we had finished our chances it wouldn’t have been close, a mixture of poor shot selection and relaxing on their shots was a big factor! Voight inside, Bomberry, Trimboli, the two pipe shots...

Right!

Right. The team is "over-achieving" with a 7-6 record and when a legitimate case can be made that they don't deserve to be in the tournament. That about sums it up. Sparkling job by the staff. Tally-Ho.

If you look at the team in general the only solid part of the team is Def, we are playing LSMs and Poles as SSDMs, the first line midfield is 2 fresh and a Soph, the attack is inexpeiernced, we are over achieving and we can all agree that we have won games we probably shouldn’t and not won games we probably should have! That’s the reality but it’s not like it isn’t going to get better over the next few years! If you don’t agree then you dont know Lax. Desko can only deal with what he has and anyone shouting fire Desko does not appreciate his record, the history and the adjustments he’s made, the improvement of the team (although up and down) and is not dealing with reality! Toodle pip!

Last edited:
If you look at the team in general the only solid part of the team is Def, we are playing LSMs and Poles as SSDMs, the first line midfield is 2 fresh and a Soph, the attack is inexpeiernced, we are over achieving and we can all agree that we have won games we probably shouldn’t and not won games we probably should have! That’s the reality but it’s not like it isn’t going to get better over the next few years! If you don’t agree then you dont know Lax. Desko can only deal with what he has and anyone shouting fire Desko does not appreciate his record, the history and the adjustments he’s made, the improvement of the team (although up and down) and is not dealing with reality! Toodle pip!
Good post, my only gripe with it is your assessment of the attack. Solomon and Bomberry were full time starters last year and Rehfuss played a good amount. I wouldn’t consider that inexperienced. The big issue is that a lot of ppl thought Rehfuss would take the jump to being a #1 attackman and it’s proven more difficult than anticipated. He’s had a very good year and next year i think you see him taking the final steps to an elite player

Always tough to evaluate a coach's performance. I start with game preparation. Is there a plan? Does it highlight the opponent's weaknesses? Does it change with new info? That kind of thing. At the beginning of the second half are adjustments obvious? Do they work? How does the team handle adversity? Do players improve over the course of their time at SU? Generally, does the team play hard a good percentage of the time. Do the coaches make necessary changes during the games and over the course of a season? Recruiting, demeanor, poise are important variables. I think on most of these factors, the current coaches do well. Their long body of work is praise worthy. I'd stick with them for a while. That is not to say that some of their decisions don't tip me right over. I've run organizations and tipped myself over several times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom