A Lot of Unknowns With This Year's Team | Syracusefan.com

A Lot of Unknowns With This Year's Team

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
I really have no idea what to expect this season. Has there ever been a season where we entered with little to no understanding of what this team will look like?

We lose Gillon, White, Lydon, Thompson & Roberson from a team that did not make the NCAA Tournament. That's tough to overcome.

Tyus Battle is primed for a big year, Thorpe has all the makings to be more consistent than Gillon as a fifth-year guard and Frank Howard has the talent to be a difference maker. I think the backcourt will be fine.

The frontcourt is another story. Three complete unknowns who have played exactly zero minutes in the zone (Moyer has practiced but 0 game minutes). Two centers who have not much more experience than that.

I expect our defense to be a big issue early, and depending on the three young forwards, our offense could be just as bad.

I am really excited about the recruits coming in next year and if these guys on the wings develop -- I just fear that this year might be another 18-14 type of season where we are trying to scrape a 10 or 11 seed out.

I really have no idea what to expect this season. Has there ever been a season where we entered with little to no understanding of what this team will look like?

We lose Gillon, White, Lydon, Thompson & Roberson from a team that did not make the NCAA Tournament. That's tough to overcome.

Tyus Battle is primed for a big year, Thorpe has all the makings to be more consistent than Gillon as a fifth-year guard and Frank Howard has the talent to be a difference maker. I think the backcourt will be fine.

The frontcourt is another story. Three complete unknowns who have played exactly zero minutes in the zone (Moyer has practiced but 0 game minutes). Two centers who have not much more experience than that.

I expect our defense to be a big issue early, and depending on the three young forwards, our offense could be just as bad.

I am really excited about the recruits coming in next year and if these guys on the wings develop -- I just fear that this year might be another 18-14 type of season where we are trying to scrape a 10 or 11 seed out.

Washington left out of most of these conversations. He appears to be a very good floor general and I can't wait for him to prove that if he gets minutes

Washington left out of most of these conversations. He appears to be a very good floor general and I can't wait for him to prove that if he gets minutes

I think Washington is clearly the 9th man -- and I highly doubt he's playing any substantial minutes over Battle or Thorpe. Howard, if he puts it together, will be able to spell both of them for quality minutes.

Washington is the fourth guard. When was the last time a fourth guard saw a substantial number of minutes at Syracuse?

I think Washington is clearly the 9th man -- and I highly doubt he's playing any substantial minutes over Battle or Thorpe. Howard, if he puts it together, will be able to spell both of them for quality minutes.

Washington is the fourth guard. When was the last time a fourth guard saw a substantial number of minutes at Syracuse?

What if Howard isn't healthy?

I can't see JB stating so-and-so is an automatic redshirt this year simply because he probably has no idea of who'll do well or
not. He's going to be mixing and matching to find anything that works for much of the season. That said, let's rock. Might
be a fun team. Might not be. But let's play and find out.

Kev

I can't see JB stating so-and-so is an automatic redshirt this year simply because he probably has no idea of who'll do well or
not. He's going to be mixing and matching to find anything that works for much of the season. That said, let's rock. Might
be a fun team. Might not be. But let's play and find out.

Kev

I never said anyone will redshirt -- just don't think Washington plays any sort of role during the ACC season. He'll play against the Cornell's of the world. Might do well, might not. Just can't see him playing much.

I know there are unheralded recruits that pop up and show that they're better than they were ranked but I just don't see that this is a case of that. Washington might be serviceable or better in 2-3 years, but I just can't see a scenario where he plays a lot as a freshman (if everyone is healthy).

I never said anyone will redshirt -- just don't think Washington plays any sort of role during the ACC season. He'll play against the Cornell's of the world. Might do well, might not. Just can't see him playing much.

I know there are unheralded recruits that pop up and show that they're better than they were ranked but I just don't see that this is a case of that. Washington might be serviceable or better in 2-3 years, but I just can't see a scenario where he plays a lot as a freshman (if everyone is healthy).

Don't disagree at all but I really think he is better than most expect and will hopefully gets his turn down the road. But perhaps he surprises and plays well in practice. I would love Frank to light it up. Nice to have 4 capable guards especially if we press teams

last year's defense was the worst in the all zone era. with the exception of lydon, every person moving on is probably being replaced by a more capable defender. it might take time, but the defense alone will make this year better. knowing nothing else but that & jb's track record, i think regular season will be 20 wins & top half o/t conference at a minimum

last year's defense was the worst in the all zone era. with the exception of lydon, every person moving on is probably being replaced by a more capable defender. it might take time, but the defense alone will make this year better. knowing nothing else but that & jb's track record, i think regular season will be 20 wins & top half o/t conference at a minimum
I agree. Our guard play will be better and I think we will be better defensively. Improve in those two areas and we will win more games.

Go check out the Oshae's role thread, all of your unknowns are solved over there. Each of the forwards are likely one and done - didn't you know that "Staff loves them". You must not be coach material.

Frank Howard has a lot to prove mentally. If he implodes door could open up for hw. Another possible scenario is with the front court so unproven, that battle could see some sf time if we need some more o punch. That would in turn open up backcourt minutes for hw. Third possibility is that he simply beats out fh for minutes. Players move up and down the depth charts, that is likely to happen more than usual this season as we have so many ????s to begin with.

Go check out the Oshae's role thread, all of your unknowns are solved over there. Each of the forwards are likely one and done - didn't you know that "Staff loves them". You must not be coach material.

Dude, you seem really ticked off lately. So what if one or two guys have unreasonable expectations (in your view)?

Frank Howard has a lot to prove mentally. If he implodes door could open up for hw. Another possible scenario is with the front court so unproven, that battle could see some sf time if we need some more o punch. That would in turn open up backcourt minutes for hw. Third possibility is that he simply beats out fh for minutes. Players move up and down the depth charts, that is likely to happen more than usual this season as we have so many ????s to begin with.
Mentally? How about physically? There is no evidence he is an ACC caliber guard. He hasn't shown that he can shoot, pass or defend.

Mentally? How about physically? There is no evidence he is an ACC caliber guard. He hasn't shown that he can shoot, pass or defend.
Totally agree frank has proven nothing positive to date.

I think he lacks scoring skills. However, if had a strong mentality he should be able to pass and defend. Turnovers are a huge problem for him. Much of that is mental, but he needs work on his handle as well.

Or dribble consistently. We've been through a really bad rut of guards/ballhandlers the past three years or so who pick up their dribble constantly against even the slightest M2M pressure. Discombobulates the whole offense. It's been a big problem.

Last edited:

From a defensive perspective, at least statistically (conference only STL%, DRB%, DWS), he isn't that far off from some of our recent guard play (Gbinije, Cooney, Battle, Gillon). Still needs to improve a good bit, but the pessimism here is exhausting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom