A positive observation | Syracusefan.com

A positive observation

HtownOrange

Living Legend
There has been a lot of discussion going forward regarding SS and NH, who should have been named, which one is better for Syracuse, etc. I enjoy reading most of the posts and, though I obviously cannot agree with everyone, I fully appreciate people's concerns and thoughts.

As an outsider (since this board is as close to the SU Athletics Department as I get) I do get the advantage of looking from afar and observing a broader picture. Here are some observations:

1) Scott Shafer is a defensive minded coach. This is really important as most schools have bought solely into offense and neglect their defenses. Stepping into the ACC next season, we will have a tough defense, no questions asked.

2) Scott Shafer has viewed what DM was attempting to do and saw the benefits first hand. He has worked with Harbaugh and knows that offense is important. He also played some offense. Combined, this tells me that a man of average intelligence would conclude that offense is important and he should attempt to keep the system going. Unless proven otherwise, I will give SS latitude to bring in/promote an OC. We may not be happy in year 1 or even year 2, but we should know by year 2 or 3 exactly what SS wants offensively.

3) Kids respond to SS well. Hopefully well enough to maintain the recruiting class we have on tap. regardless, he is aggressive and kids are aggressive. Speed, hard hitting, calculated risks, etc. all entice kids to play hard.

4) SS is aggressive, I would imagine he seeks an ST coach to reflect this.

5) Marrone left an offensive scheme that is simple. KISS - Keep it simple, stupid! Most successful offenses keep thing simple and allow for kids on the field to make minor adjustments. This has the benefits of easier to learn system and less mistakes. The offense under DeLeone was far too complicated and even the early years under Marrone were too complicated. Fewer formations with more options from each is a better plan.

6) Nobody expects anything from Syracuse. Everybody keeps thing our wins are flukes. This gives us the underdog mentality and allows us to catch the arrogant teams by surprise. Our kids know they can win and that they should have won at least two more games this season. Most opposing schools thought we should have lost another two or three games.

7) We finished strong.

8) We are light yeas ahead of where we were four years ago!

9) We have some great position coaches.

Each of my points can be dismantled via pessimism, or even some pragmatism. However, it benefits no one to hover over negatives when we have to move forward. Analysis of weaknesses and concerns is healthy, but concluding from that analysis that these weaknesses are permanent and that our strengths cannot be sustained is foolish at best. There are many questions to be answered, but there are always many questions to be answered.

Anyway, just some observations.

Positive thoughts are not allowed on this board, HTown. You should be banned immediately. How can you be positive when we're clearly in meltdown mode?

;)
Great post.

Can I triple-like this post? I agree on all points.

We're still in good shape, with room to get better.

Positive thoughts are not allowed on this board, HTown. You should be banned immediately. How can you be positive when we're clearly in meltdown mode?

;)
Great post.

I take after our new HC, I'm taking the risk!

:D

Can I triple-like this post? I agree on all points.

We're still in good shape, with room to get better.

I agree, plenty of room to improve. Ironically, improvement is just as catchy as stagnation.

better watch out-posts that make sense get deleted soon after the freakout crew arrives-

they forgotten the fact that this offense wasnt installed till a week or 2 before the season started-

and we lost a game because the oc and head coach didnt have a "tank" package -

so the moaning about this great oc is just residual marrone love from the apologists

Great post HtownOrange. Not to minimize the damage that Hackett's loss MIGHT do to this year's recruiting, but there are many positive angles to Scott Shafer's hiring -- which you've highlighted -- that got lost in the flood of "woe is me" posts last night (most of which seem to have been scrubbed).

better watch out-posts that make sense get deleted soon after the freakout crew arrives-

they forgotten the fact that this offense wasnt installed till a week or 2 before the season started-

and we lost a game because the oc and head coach didnt have a "tank" package -

so the moaning about this great oc is just residual marrone love from the apologists
I get the losing NH would keep a couple recruits from coming. But from an OC stand point as much praise as he got for the prolific O, he always seemed to be behind the curve, and at times behind fixes and ideas that people on this board even had. Yeah, the whole O philosophy changing 2 weeks before the season started when people were clamoring for that last season. And losing a few games because you can't get into the redzone when you had a fix on the bench that was obvious and people knew that after the first couple games. It's that mad scientist approach that makes me uneasy, almost like a trust issue. I've heard if it were up to a player vote for HC, it would've been Shafer in a landslide.

One other positive is that we become a little more unpredictable heading into the ACC. Not sure how much that will matter by conference games. But it can't hurt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom