Wonder how we will run the offense | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Wonder how we will run the offense

I think this will truly be a multiple offense.
We have depth in many places that will allow us to use spread formation and even 3-4 TE formations and I can even see multiple running backs in the backfield simultaneously.

I believe they will adapt it weekly to pick on the weaknesses of the defense.
My hot take (and fear) is that multiple is smart to meatheads but not actually smart.

I said what I said.

Let's kick the crap out of Ohio.

Great TEs, great RBs, I think we're marching it down the field 6-8 yards at a time.

No idea, but I'm looking forward to it.

My hot take (and fear) is that multiple is smart to meatheads but not actually smart.

I said what I said.

Let's kick the crap out of Ohio.
I agree with a lot of your overall take.

The best offenses throw more than run (look at yards per play for both and its easy to see why), plus our perfect conditions

It’s hard to win without a very good QB and WR, and it’s very hard to recruit those players without a great track record of production out of those spots.

The more you ask of college kids to learn, the less likely they are to be good at it

But Fran said something last night that I think means he gets it (plus I dont think Nixon is a meathead) which was ‘if you think, you stink’. I think that means he understands these kids have limited capacity and playing fast and with confidence is more important than an extra trick or two in the bag.

I trust the FRANchise.

I agree with a lot of your overall take.

The best offenses throw more than run (look at yards per play for both and its easy to see why), plus our perfect conditions

It’s hard to win without a very good QB and WR, and it’s very hard to recruit those players without a great track record of production out of those spots.

The more you ask of college kids to learn, the less likely they are to be good at it

But Fran said something last night that I think means he gets it (plus I dont think Nixon is a meathead) which was ‘if you think, you stink’. I think that means he understands these kids have limited capacity and playing fast and with confidence is more important than an extra trick or two in the bag.

I trust the FRANchise.
Oh I do too and I think Nixon will be an extremely good offensive coordinator.

This is more banter among fans.

We have depth in many places that will allow us to use spread formation and even 3-4 TE formations and I can even see multiple running backs in the backfield simultaneously.

A great approach for Georgia
A bad approach for us
We'll see what they actually do
You don't have time to be good at everything, especially when you're not a factory missed with the best athletes

Oh I do too and I think Nixon will be an extremely good offensive coordinator.

This is more banter among fans.
My only fear about Nixon is that he's spent the last few years in the NFL. More guys wash out of the NFL because of their brains than their bodies... The NFL is very good at figuring out if you're fast enough or strong enough, not as good at figuring if you're smart enough.

The net result is that Nixon is used to dealing with really smart players, and what isn't complicated to them might stump your average college player.

Fran will hopefully help him keep it simple enough.

Last edited:

And I hope even play to play we take advantage of the defenses alignment and personnel. We have such versatile guys in Gadsden and Villari. If they put fast little guys on the field to cover them, have those guys block them into the turf and let the RBs run wild. Bring on LBs to cover the run and let 'em make plays in the passing game.

I remember how frustrating it was to root against the Cowboys in the early 90's because it was impossible to have an answer for all their weapons, especially with their dominant oline. I hope we can have some of that this year.

And I hope even play to play we take advantage of the defenses alignment and personnel. We have such versatile guys in Gadsden and Villari. If they put fast little guys on the field to cover them, have those guys block them into the turf and let the RBs run wild. Bring on LBs to cover the run and let 'em make plays in the passing game.
Uhm, I mean... Gadsden and Villari aren't road graders though. That's not their strength.

Uhm, I mean... Gadsden and Villari aren't road graders though. That's not their strength.
A bit like the night before Christmas, with all the presents dancing in our heads.

But the main thing I want to see is a more disciplined team, our big problem has not always been lack of talent. The team would continually screw themselves in the Baber years. You can not win if you beat yourself.

Read what I said. I didn't suggest they drive LBs into the ground. If a defense lines up with a 6' 200 lb DB over either one of them they are significantly bigger. That's a good time to beat them up and run the ball. If they line up with an abundance of LBs, I don't ask them to block like that. I make the LB have to cover them in space. Put a defense in a no win situation.

Read what I said. I didn't suggest they drive LBs into the ground. If a defense lines up with a 6' 200 lb DB over either one of them they are significantly bigger. That's a good time to beat them up and run the ball. If they line up with an abundance of LBs, I don't ask them to block like that. I make the LB have to cover them in space. Put a defense in a no win situation.
They're not driving defensive backs into the ground either.

I mean maybe Gadsden has made shocking improvements there but I'm skeptical.

They're not driving defensive backs into the ground either.

I mean maybe Gadsden has made shocking improvements there but I'm skeptical.
Do you have to take it so literal (when you said kick the crap out of them, I don't literally expect excrement on the turf as a result of our guys going Bruce Lee on anyone)? I don't actually expect pancakes, but there is no reason a guy 40 lbs heavier can't push a smaller guy around.

Do you have to take it so literal (when you said kick the crap out of them, I don't literally expect excrement on the turf as a result of our guys going Bruce Lee on anyone)? I don't actually expect pancakes, but there is no reason a guy 40 lbs heavier can't push a smaller guy around.
I don't know man, you're trying to make this as simple as if Gadsden is bigger than a guy he should be able to not just block them effectively, but do it so well that it creates a complete mismatch and takes the defender completely out of the play. And I'm just skeptical for two reasons. First, we've had all kind of guys on our offensive line, whose primary job is to block, not block all that great against guys that were smaller than them. And second, we've never really actually seen Gadsden block. It's not a big part of what he's asked to do. And I think that's fine, because he's exceptionally good at getting to open spaces on the field and catching passes. Which for us, is a rare skill. So let's just do that.

Why can't we just do that? Why do we have to pretend Gadsden is a tight end doing traditional tight end things like blocking? Why can't we say to the defense, you have to be ready to stop this guy who's going to be a first or second day NFL draft pick from gashing you down the field, every play? Have fun with that, defense.

Why can't we just do that?

I don't know man, you're trying to make this as simple as if Gadsden is bigger than a guy he should be able to not just block them effectively, but do it so well that it creates a complete mismatch and takes the defender completely out of the play. And I'm just skeptical for two reasons. First, we've had all kind of guys on our offensive line, whose primary job is to block, not block all that great against guys that were smaller than them. And second, we've never really actually seen Gadsden block. It's not a big part of what he's asked to do. And I think that's fine, because he's exceptionally good at getting to open spaces on the field and catching passes. Which for us, is a rare skill. So let's just do that.

Why can't we just do that? Why do we have to pretend Gadsden is a tight end doing traditional tight end things like blocking? Why can't we say to the defense, you have to be ready to stop this guy who's going to be a first or second day NFL draft pick from gashing you down the field, every play? Have fun with that, defense.

Why can't we just do that?
Fran Brown has made it clear recievers are expected to block. Good teams have recievers that block downfield. Hatcher was named a starter in part because he improved his blocking. Why would we not expect our receiver that is 50 lbs heavier to be competent at it with the proper coaching. Is Gadsden incapable of learning other skills and becoming a more well rounded player? He's not being asked to prevent a rush end from sacking McCord, at least that's not what I'm asking. I'm not even suggesting that he put his hand on the ground. What I am saying, and this is not unreasonable, is that if he lines up in the slot and the defense covers him with a DB, that he push that DB out of the way to allow Allen's 5 yard run to be a 10 or 20 yard run. If they line up a slower LB or big safety type over him, he give the dude a move and burn him for nice gain on a catch. It's not complicated.

We will do what you're saying. Just not every play. Being able to block downfield is not a waste. In fact, it adds to what the defender has to be concerned with. On a play action pass, if Gadsden fakes for an instant like he's going to block and freezes the defender, now he gets open that much easier. The defender now has doubt in his mind on every play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom