Wonder how we will run the offense | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Wonder how we will run the offense

Weird logic. You can't really "rely" on anything. We know losing while throwing the ball a lot isn't fun either. We saw that in the early Dino years. I don't care if we win games like 1995 Nebraska or 1984 BYU. I suspect we'll have games we run over people and some we throw it around. I think both are fun. And with both methods players won't be wasted.

I don't get why some people don't think watching a good running game is fun. There's so many moving pieces. I think a long run is more exciting than a long pass because it typically requires a guy breaking at least one tackle and making 1 or more guys miss along with other guys making great blocks. Is it that people just like numbers?
Well, in my case, I predicted McCord would throw for 42 touchdowns and 4500 yards in the Cali thread... It would actually really suck if we run for 372 yards and 5 TDs and he only throws for 142 yards and 1 TD.

I'm rooting for a 17/21 day with 4 of the 17 being long touchdowns because they just can't catch our guys. :)

I'd be ok with 330 and 4 TDs in a game where we rush the ball 55 times.

EDIT: On a weird note, I keep typing McNown whenever I mean McCord. It made me think about how different eras in football were... If McCord "only" throws for McNown's senior year stats, we will be disappointed, yet they were good enough for McNown to get drafted 12th overall in 1999.

Last edited:
Weird logic. You can't really "rely" on anything. We know losing while throwing the ball a lot isn't fun either. We saw that in the early Dino years. I don't care if we win games like 1995 Nebraska or 1984 BYU. I suspect we'll have games we run over people and some we throw it around. I think both are fun. And with both methods players won't be wasted.

I don't get why some people don't think watching a good running game is fun. There's so many moving pieces. I think a long run is more exciting than a long pass because it typically requires a guy breaking at least one tackle and making 1 or more guys miss along with other guys making great blocks. Is it that people just like numbers?
Losing while throwing a lot during the early Dino years was super fun! Let's not rewrite history here.

We should beat Ohio. Soundly. But what do we really gain if McCord only gets to let it fly 12 times because we're content to run? That's not making the most of arguably the most impactful transfer in school history. It's not what he got a huge NIL bag for. It's not making the most of Gadsden, our "cheat code."

I think if you go on YouTube and watch some 2018 and 2019 Baylor games you'll probably find some similarities. There are a few plays where they run a diamond formation in the backfield with 3 RBs. It's what dreams are made of.
Quick Baylor highlight

Longer Fl State informational video on the Diamond formation

baylor diamond formation - Google Search

Losing while throwing a lot during the early Dino years was super fun! Let's not rewrite history here.

We should beat Ohio. Soundly. But what do we really gain if McCord only gets to let it fly 12 times because we're content to run? That's not making the most of arguably the most impactful transfer in school history. It's not what he got a huge NIL bag for. It's not making the most of Gadsden, our "cheat code."
If you want to pass the ball more than run the ball when we are obviously going to win the game either way and by a good margin then OK. But if you want to pass the ball more regardless of weather it helps us win or not that doesn't make sense and will not happen. In close'ish games if we are more likely to be successful running the ball and be less likely to turn the ball over and killing clock we will do that.

If you want to pass the ball more than run the ball when we are obviously going to win the game either way and by a good margin then OK. But if you want to pass the ball more regardless of weather it helps us win or not that doesn't make sense and will not happen. In close'ish games if we are more likely to be successful running the ball and be less likely to turn the ball over and killing clock we will do that.
I'm assuming we win.

A mistake our program has historically made in games we cleanly win is that we don't take the opportunity to develop the passing game that we'll need against better teams.

Let's say we can run for 350 yards vs Ohio or McCord can pass for 350 yards vs Ohio. We win comfortably either way.

Which one predicts a better season? Which one puts us on the map more?

McCord performing like a star matters.

Yes. Let's not rewrite history. The games we won were fun. The games we lost were filled with complaints about lightning quick three and outs on offense and gassed defenses not getting off the field.

McCord didn't get the bag to rack up meaningless stats against Ohio. He got the bag to throw for 350 against NC State. And that's how I suspect it will go. Some teams will stack the box and he'll make them pay. Some will sit back and make us go 80 yards in 14 plays. That's when Allen and Willis will make them pay. I'm not going to get caught up in who gets stats. That's for fantasy football nerds. I want to see my team take advantage of whatever the other gives them.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t expect to get a lot of insights from the game against Ohio. I suspect we would like to run the ball 60 times up the middle, if we can get away with it.

It should be a very vanilla game plan.

But things should change for the GT game and beyond. Found this artivle, which talks about how the 2019 Baylor offense developed during the season. It has a few clips.

If Jeff does the same type of stuff, we can expect some explosive plays.

I think this ^^^ is right.

Unless Ohio puts up more fight than expected, I assume it will be fairly vanilla. Run it down their throat, dare them to stop it and wear them down, with only basic passing mixed in. I would expect a deep shot or two, to give GT something to think about.

But otherwise, very limited tipping of the hand.

I want to see my team take advantage of whatever the other gives them.
See, I think that's a lie coaches tell themselves (note, the coaches, not you as a fan).

And I say it's a lie because it sure seems like a mysterious coincidence that what they see the other team giving them just happens to match the bias they have toward what they want to do anyway.

If our guards can pull we play student body left and student body right. Imagine Willis with a full head of steam.

Imagine the diamond with Villari to the left (to block), LQA in the middle (for the play action) and OG on the right (receiver). If you have Haynes split wide the safeties would have to honor the long pass and OG would be open in the space behind him (as in the clip). Don't think we'll see it Saturday, but it would be tough to defend.
IMG_3205.gif

See, I think that's a lie coaches tell themselves (note, the coaches, not you as a fan).

And I say it's a lie because it sure seems like a mysterious coincidence that what they see the other team giving them just happens to match the bias they have toward what they want to do anyway.
Huh? All it means is being able to do both. If a team loads the box, throw it. If they play soft, run it. Good teams do it every year.

I’m rooting for McCord to be off the field by half time because we’re up by five TDs. I don’t care whether it’s a run or pass heavy attack that makes that happen. Im hoping to see a fair amount of Johnson at QB in the second half, really curious to see him in live action because he’s such an important part of this team as our #2 QB

I’m rooting for McCord to be off the field by half time because we’re up by five TDs. I don’t care whether it’s a run or pass heavy attack that makes that happen. Im hoping to see a fair amount of Johnson at QB in the second half, really curious to see him in live action because he’s such an important part of this team as our #2 QB
I'm with you. I'd like to see all experienced starters kicking back in the second half simply because it means business was taken care of. Guys executed, our talent was superior, and we're ready to step up to some better competition.

Not just about will we run or throw or go 2 back. or 5 wide or 4 TE

But will we use motion and pre-snap movement .

We barely used any of that under Babers.

We have speed guys to fake jet sweeps too
We have a QB with experience
We have a Coord who has worked with NFL teams
We have weapons

Lets confused the D more often

Listening to Meathead Radio they talked about how hard it was on D to figure out pre-snap stuff when the offense is changing all the time

and by the way EJ picked SU as his dark horse ACC winner because he thinks McCord will have a big year
We are going to do whatever they can't stop

I don't know other teams haven't thought of that

Going off topic here, but related to this gif, this is a good listen.

My favorite comedian, saw him here last year, was great
School fountains
State abbreviations
Yeah no, at the end of the day

My favorite comedian, saw him here last year, was great
School fountains
State abbreviations
Yeah no, at the end of the day

His bit about school scissors and the paper cutter in the back of the room is great too.

I hope everyone is excited as I am. I have not been this pumped about the football team in years. Some people worry about our coach not having head coaching experience. I think those folks are worrying about nothing. He has been a winner and around national championship teams. His players have bought in. Our senior leadership stayed because f this man, we have our best recruits and transfers in decades due to this man. I do not think they would have come or stayed if they felt he was all hat and no cattle.

I think this will truly be a multiple offense.
We have depth in many places that will allow us to use spread formation and even 3-4 TE formations and I can even see multiple running backs in the backfield simultaneously.

I believe they will adapt it weekly to pick on the weaknesses of the defense.

I think this will truly be a multiple offense.
We have depth in many places that will allow us to use spread formation and even 3-4 TE formations and I can even see multiple running backs in the backfield simultaneously.

I believe they will adapt it weekly to pick on the weaknesses of the defense.
It's going to be so much fun when we line up with 4 tight ends and run it 4 times in a row. On the 5th play, Gadsden is going to run right past a linebacker for a 50 yard TD reception. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom