A Potential 5th Super Conference | Syracusefan.com

A Potential 5th Super Conference

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American
The assumption is there will be 4 16 team super conferences.

Can there possibly be a 5th (almost) "Super" Conference?

Assuming (big assumptions) that Mizzou and WVU find homes...and that the Pac 16 brings aboard the 4 Tx/Ok schools from the Big 12...and that Rutgers finds its way to the Big 10 finally (or potentially the ACC), and that UConn ends up in the ACC...

It would seem that the best course of action would be for the remaining Big 12 and Big East football schools to hook together, and also absorb the best of the C-USA/MWC crowd, to form a 16 team conference.

Would the winner of a conference made up of the teams below be worthy of a 5th automatic BCS qualifier? If no...would the winner of this conference be worthy of an automatic 5th BCS qualifier arrangement that allowed ND to take it if it is ranked higher than the conference champion? (which would be a way for ND to keep their BS indy but not quite indy fetishtic arrangement)...

East
Louisville
USF
Cincinnati
ECU
Temple
UCF
Memphis
Villanova

West
Kansas
Kansas State
Baylor
Boise State
San Diego State
Tulsa
TCU
Iowa State

Villanova? Really?
Not happening... they'll stay with the rest of the old-BE.

SMU and Tulane would be much better fits.

I don't believe that group of football teams will qualify as "Super"... but that's just me.

To answer my own question...I think that the conference above WOULD merit strong consideration as a BCS qualifier, particularly with the ND caveat thrown in. Kansas State, TCU, Boise State...these are teams that at least one of usually has a top 10 caliber year...SDSU, USF, and ECU are usually flirting with the top 25...and LVille, Cinci, Kansas, and Temple see to be teams that are capable of winning although in some cases have to get back there.

Sheer numbers alone would seem to dictate that at least ONE of the teams of these 16 each year would be a top 10-15 team and worthy of a bid. Or 11 of 17 if Notre Dame is a factor.

Villanova? Really?
Not happening... they'll stay with the rest of the old-BE.

SMU and Tulane would be much better fits.

I don't believe that group of football teams will qualify as "Super"... but that's just me.

I mean, i guess that really depends on how committed they are go their D-1 football program. If they seriously want to elevate that program and become a legit player, they cannot stick with the hoops schools IMO.

It appears the way this will work is the 16 team superconferences will work on a 4 pod system.

If that's the case, I can totally see a 5th 16 team SuperConferenceUSA where each pod is a region. There are just too many good schools that will be left out in the cold. A conference line this actually would give more current non BCS schools a path into the BCS.

Currently I believe there are only 62 BCS schools. 16 schools x 5 conferences = 80 schools

You're forgetting the Mountain West. They are already in talks to merge with CUSA in an apparent challenge to the BE/Big12 leftovers claim to the 4th BCS slot. I also expect the BE/Big12 Leftovers to try and poach one or more MWC or CUSA schools to fill out their roster of 16. However this shakes out, there are not going to be enough chairs at the table for all of these schools at the end of the day.

Go Greyhound Conference:

Cincy
Louisville
USF
TCU
Iowa State
Baylor
Kansas State
Rutgers
BYU
Boise State
Air Force
Colorado State
UCF
ECU
SMU
Houston

You're forgetting the Mountain West. They are already in talks to merge with CUSA in an apparent challenge to the BE/Big12 leftovers claim to the 4th BCS slot.

Assuming P16, B16, ACC and SEC all retain their BCS slots, your scenario would be for the 5th slot. Given the way things are going, I can see one additional conference of leftovers getting an automatic BCS spot for 5 total autos with the remaining BCS spots going to the highest ranked of the at-large teams.

The bowl system could be quite fun with 5 mega conferences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom