a Question for the recruiting peeps | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

a Question for the recruiting peeps

It was pretty much small potatoes compared to what you hear is going on today. SU got jobbed more for under the table benefits the players received after they got here than for what happened to get them here. And what I am talking about is $50 bills in Christmas cards from Bill Rapp, meals at Grimaldi's and free shoes at Rochester shoes. There were also allegations that Boeheim spoke to professors about grades to keep certain players eligible. Btw, if you ever get a chance, read Dave Meggysey's book Out of Their League sometime to see what types of benefits the football players were getting during the 1960's when Schwarztwalder was coach. It was the same small potatoes type of stuff.

Another thing to remember about the hoops sanctions was that they were laid down just a couple years after the SMU Death Penalty. I'm not sure there's a way to know if that led SU to treat it more seriously once other sources started to dig things up, but I would tend to think it played a role.

Wasn't it about 10-15 years ago that Boeheim was illegally using a handler in NYC. I think they got some NCAA sanctions. Lots of complaints about Kentucky and Calipari but SU has had it's issues.

More like 20 years ago. We've played it relatively clean ever since.

I heard that John Wall was leaning Baylor, then his handler got basically bought out by Calipari, and to make up for it that handler promised a handful of recruits to Baylor... thus Baylor's recent success.

This is a dumb comment but I am guessing you really don't mean this?

I don't know if he was leaning to Baylor, but I thought they hired his handler or Aau coach expecting to get a commitment from wall.

The book "Raw Recruits" started it all. The Post-Standard then ran a series of articles called "Out Of Bounds" detailing SU's transgressions. Rob Johnson was just one part of it, there was more.

Through the years I generally never badmouthed other coaches/programs for off the court stuff like many others have done and still do. I mean, when the school you root for breaks and bends the rules, why bother.

Give me a break. "Out of Bounds" outlined something like 150 allegations, and ultimately the NCAA penalized SU for only a small handful [~10]. And the vast majority of those alleged "infractions" were asinine, small time stuff. Even the Bill Rapp / $50 christmas card stuff was fairly small time.

We got hit with a penalty--the year probation from participation in the NCAA tournament--basically because the NCAA investigated us for nearly a year and a half, and because we were one of the first major programs to face this type of scrutiny. Since that time, there have been MANY programs that have faced NCAA investigations that have gotten slapped on the wrist for more serious infractions. Think about that for a second.

It is also important to note that in the aftermath of that scandal, SU was one of the early adopters of a compliance office, and that there are numerous instances of things that our hoops program has not tolerated that would get swept under the rug at other institutions.

On the scale of programs that break and bend the rules, we rate pretty low.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom